LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 1h

Sources: Randle, Exum, Gordon, Vonleh, Ennis, McDermott, Stauskas unlikely to participate in drills at NBA Draft Combine

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 3h

Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid and Jabari Parker will skip the Combine. Adreian Payne & Mitch McGary out with injuries

Hypothetically Exum turning up and lowering his draft stock wouldn't be a bad thing for us, especially if he fell to #12. Imagine walking out of the draft with Parker/Wiggins at #3 and Exum at #12. Not going to happen, but it would be nice for us to have that type of luck! B)/>

As long as Pat Williams is in the house, anything can happen. I'm still holding out hope for two top-3 picks.

As long as Pat Williams is in the house, anything can happen. I'm still holding out hope for two top-3 picks.

SNAP!

I think with this many projected top players missing the combine and/or attending but skipping the drills you may see a drastic change/reaction from the league office.

I think with this many projected top players missing the combine and/or attending but skipping the drills you may see a drastic change/reaction from the league office.

What is the intention of skipping the draft combine? To control what teams know evaluate your talent?

Ok so my ideal scenario would be drafting Wiggins and Young and then stealing Taj Gibson from the Bulls (Afflalo and/or Jameer going the other way)

--

What I think will happen is we draft Exum (I'm warming up to the idea more and more) and Payne

My new top 5

1- Wiggins

Athletic wings (mainly SFs) that can score, pass and dribble rule the league. Wiggins has the best shot at becoming a superstar

2- Exum

Not a big fan of having the PG as the main star, but if I had to go with that, I'd like to have someone who doesn't rely as much on strength and has good size. Exum would be perfect

3- Embiid

Little worried about his back problem, as everyone is, but he seems to be a stud. Nice footwork for a man his size

4- Randle

I'm a big believer in Randle. He's a little short for PF but he's strong, athletic and has shown flashes of great defense. Vucevic needs a menacing big close to him, and Randle could be that guy.

5- Parker

I think he will have to play PF in the NBA and a frontcourt of Parker and Vucevic would give me nightmares. He's not the most athletic guy, either. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be thrilled if we drafted Parker

---

There's a big cliff after number 5, in my opinion, but I would LOVE to get that #8 from Detroit and draft Gordon or Vonleh, especially if we got one of the guys in my top 2. I don't think SVG would be too willing to help us though

Vonleh at 8 as well as a top 4 guy would literally make these last 2 seasons worth while in my eyes.

Exum

Oladipo

Harris/Harkless

Vonleh

Vucevic

That's a long team that can dominate the boards, get up and down in transition but also run a decent half court set with 2 dynamic guards and 2 big men who can (potentially in Vonleh's case) score in multiple ways. It lacks shooting though unless Oladipo can improve or Exum is better than expected.

I don't really want to trade Afflalo or Meer as much as others but if it could get us Vonleh I'd do it right now.

Vonleh at 8 as well as a top 4 guy would literally make these last 2 seasons worth while in my eyes.

Exum

Oladipo

Harris/Harkless

Vonleh

Vucevic

That's a long team that can dominate the boards, get up and down in transition but also run a decent half court set with 2 dynamic guards and 2 big men who can (potentially in Vonleh's case) score in multiple ways. It lacks shooting though unless Oladipo can improve or Exum is better than expected.

I don't really want to trade Afflalo or Meer as much as others but if it could get us Vonleh I'd do it right now.

I hope something funky happens this year. Last year I felt a little underwhelmed because we picked our guy and then didn't do any other moves.

I've seen the idea of trading Afflalo to SAC thrown around some. I've also seen the Kings taking Smart in a few mocks.

Does anyone think there's a chance they take Smart and trade him to us for AA?

If we the draft stays with the current order, Vonleh shouldn't get past the Sacramento Kings. I think they would love to find a compliment to their star center, and a Vonleh-Cousins pairing in the front court could be a dominant duo. Granted they might need a point guard if Thomas walks, or is part of a sign-and-trade, but if Vonleh is on the board at #7, I think he will go to the Kings and not make it to #8. Their line up could end with a very athletic line up: Thomas, McLemore, Gay, Vonleh and Cousins.

I would love to see us draft Vonleh, he would be an excellent addition to our front court. If we managed to come out of the draft with a Exum and Vonleh, or Wiggins and Vonleh type combination, we would potentially have two stars on our hands. But I think for that to happen we would need one of the following to happen: 1 - our first pick falls outside the top four; 2 - our second pick becomes a top six pick; or 3 - we trade up with a team that drafts before the Kings. I suppose a fourth could be a trade with the Kings if they do select Vonleh, and we could send someone like Afflalo and/or Nelson their way. But I think the most likely scenario for us drafting Vonleh would be our first draft pick falling outside the top four.