LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

So we're tanking again? That lineup wouldn't win 20 games next year.

That lineup would make better sense then what we have now. And yes, we are tanking again because in 2015 we draft another great player and can sign about any FA we want.

What do you think will happen this offseason realistically?

Yeah I don't really like that outlook too much. Except for the trading AA for a lotto pick I feel the rest is plan B or worse. I like the idea of Vic and Gordon, but next to Vic I want to see a scorer...like AA but hopefully better. If Wiggins or Embiid is there when you draft you take em.

Oladipo is a scorer who can easily be on AA's level. He was asked to run the offense this year. I believe he may be better suited as a SG, but if we got Wiggins, I wouldn't care if he stayed at PG.

Why do you say you want a scorer and then ask for Embiid? Embiid is not a wing scorer. It would make more sense to say you want Wiggins or Parker, because those 2 are the top tier scorers in the draft.

Also, think about what Exum can create for these guys. One of the reasons the Magic are bad at scoring is we have not had a beast initiating the offense since Penny.

I also think Exum will develop his 3 ball and will have big games so Oladipo does not have to be a 22ppg game guy. This team would be very balanced in terms of scoring, which is a Spurs thing - Ginobli off the bench some games, Parker some games, Duncan. The go to guy in crunch time would develop out of that lineup- it could very well be Dipo or Exum.

Additionally in 2015, the Magic could pursue a strong FA piece.

I think we'll walk away from this draft with a PG: Exum, Smart, Ennis or the random dude from Louisiana Tech. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a trade for R. Jackson or even Westbrook. I'm excited to see a new backcourt!

Its possible Vic could develop into a designated scorer, but it hasn't happened yet. He's young-I'm not saying he won't but it doesn't change my opinion that we need more scoring. I like what Vic brings to the table as is, I prefer to find a piece to compliment him than to title him the designated scorer...let him be free!

I said Embiid as he is something that could trump all other needs, and yes, by all accounts he will be a scorer. This is assuming he is healthy of course.

I would not be upset with the drafting of Exum, we need a go to scorer though...not someone that moves the ball around necessarily but someone who we give the rock to in crunch time when nothing else is working. Can he be that person?

I think a lot of us are underestimating the potential scoring options we could possibly have on this team already, I see Vucevic, Harris, and Oladipo improving their scoring abilities next season.

The Magic were almost .500 at home this year and their horrible record this year came on account of being ungodly terrible on the road. If the Magic could become even marginally decent on the road (14-15 wins) then they're close to an 8th seed in the East. The team was close to average on defense (ranked 18th in drtg) but were just awful on offense, if Exum comes in and is a good offensive player who can create shots for himself and others, I don't think it's inconceivable that the Magic can threaten for an 8th seed.

I think we'll walk away from this draft with a PG: Exum, Smart, Ennis or the random dude from Louisiana Tech. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a trade for R. Jackson or even Westbrook. I'm excited to see a new backcourt!

don't want reggie ( crazy frog ) jackson

I just don't see the Thunder trading Westbrook for anything we offer. If they do, it would take most all of our good building blocks away (Vic/Harris/Vuc/Picks). R. Jackson maybe, but no way do we get Westbrook.

I would not be upset with the drafting of Exum, we need a go to scorer though...not someone that moves the ball around necessarily but someone who we give the rock to in crunch time when nothing else is working. Can he be that person?

I think Exum will be a go to scorer and a star. Some GMs want him to play both SG and PG so he can score. He just needs to develop his outside shot, but thats a common story with a lot of new players.

I look at Ariza - that guy could not shoot at all on the Magic and now he is leading Washington to round 2 with his range.