LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

I think if Jameer is willing to sign for a more realistic amount of money (hopfully this was why we gave him the decent money this contract as a sweetener for later) and is also willing to slowly step into being a backup vet who hands over the team to the next generation, then I for one will be very happy to keep him here until he retires. He has all the makings of a great leader who really does set the example of "Team First".

Do you know what Jameer's contract calls for this coming year? We have a 2 million buyout this summer or we pay him 8 million next season. 8 million. I just can't see Henny holding onto him… unless it's for trade bait.

People are always on here saying "Trade all the vets... give our kids ALL THE MINUTES!". What I think a lot of people don't understand, is shoveling playing time in one end of the development tube doesn't automatically spit out an experienced awesome rookie. Rookie's also need mentors to teach them lessons about the game. These mentors also help even out the emotional roller coaster that is being a rookie in an 82 game season. They help by keeping the rookies from getting out of control during the highs while keeping spirits up during the lows. Leadership is a VERY important thing in team sports. I think if Jameer is willing to sign for a more realistic amount of money (hopfully this was why we gave him the decent money this contract as a sweetener for later) and is also willing to slowly step into being a backup vet who hands over the team to the next generation, then I for one will be very happy to keep him here until he retires. He has all the makings of a great leader who really does set the example of "Team First".

As far as seeing the expectations of some people on this forum about us being in the finals next year for sure I say to you that this is exactly what i'm talking about with veterans keeping a lid on the highs. Realistic expectations don't lead to disappointment and instead lead to small solid steps towards success.

That's an extreme exaggeration...I haven't seen any prediction of this sort. Possibly fighting for a playoff spot is a realistic expectation and about as far as I've seen anyone go. As for Jameer, I think he's signed his last contract with the Magic.

Three teams gained 15 wins this season vs last season; at least 3 lost as many games...it is entirely possible, if not likely to gain 15 gains season over season. Our team should have won more than we did this year, I see fewer reasons why we shouldn't make the playoffs next year than why we should.

Losing does nothing good for the team concept, we will have more than enough high draft picks after this summer; its time to start putting things together.

Do you know what Jameer's contract calls for this coming year? We have a 2 million buyout this summer or we pay him 8 million next season. 8 million. I just can't see Henny holding onto him… unless it's for trade bait.

Could we buy him out and sign him to a longer deal at lower money? If that is possible I can see value in having him as a vet that others learn from. Maybe as a back up?

The Magic were 17th in the league in defensive rating and in opponent pts/g and that's with a roster of mostly young players however we were just about the worst offensive team in the league in part of us having the worst point guard rotation in the league after the Knicks. If we get Exum and someone who can shoot with the 12th pick it's not inconceivable we might get the 8th spot next year.

Does anyone think that the Magic could move #12 and get an additional pick in the first round? I think Phoenix is one of those teams that might be willing to say part with 14/19 to move up to 12. They would still have two picks in the draft 12/27 while also giving the Magic a nice option to maybe snag Payne at 19.

Does anyone think that the Magic could move #12 and get an additional pick in the first round? I think Phoenix is one of those teams that might be willing to say part with 14/19 to move up to 12. They would still have two picks in the draft 12/27 while also giving the Magic a nice option to maybe snag Payne at 19.

So the deal would be our 12th pick for their 14th and 19th pick?

That could potentially be in our favor, and would allow us to add two further young pieces. But personally I think it is more likely to see one of those picks swapped out for their 27th pick: leaving them with 12+14/19 and us with 14/19+27.

It would be nice to snag an extra pick. Chicago own two first round picks as well. So if the team could do a deal for our 12th pick, then it could be a good move to make.

So the deal would be our 12th pick for their 14th and 19th pick?

That could potentially be in our favor, and would allow us to add two further young pieces. But personally I think it is more likely to see one of those picks swapped out for their 27th pick: leaving them with 12+14/19 and us with 14/19+27.

It would be nice to snag an extra pick. Chicago own two first round picks as well. So if the team could do a deal for our 12th pick, then it could be a good move to make.

I could see the Bulls dealing with us if they miss out on Carmelo Anthony.

Ron (Orlando)

Are the Magic the team that is highest on Exum? Seems that way based on mock drafts.

Chad Ford (1:14 PM)

They want a point guard. They experimented with Victor Oladipo there, but preferably they get a young player that is more of a true point. Exum and Marcus Smart are the guys for them. They would've taken Smart No. 2 last year, but I think Exum has moved ahead. Lakers also really like Exum. So do the Jazz and Bucks.

My question, since the Bucks are gonna pick before the Magic how will they get Exum ???....Secondly, I really can't see Henny picking Smart if he gets a top 4-5 pick.

Lastly, I have a suggestion.....Since UK has Cauley-Stein, Johnson, Poythress coming back on top of 2 more 7-foot McDonals All-Americans and quite possibly the twins I think the Magic should just tank one more season, lol.

UK is gonna be just sick, I mean....10 McDonalds All-Americans on the roster....Can you imagine what practice is gonna be like in Lexington ???

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50456/nba-insider-chad-ford

• Upvote 1

Ron (Orlando)

Are the Magic the team that is highest on Exum? Seems that way based on mock drafts.

They want a point guard. They experimented with Victor Oladipo there, but preferably they get a young player that is more of a true point. Exum and Marcus Smart are the guys for them. They would've taken Smart No. 2 last year, but I think Exum has moved ahead. Lakers also really like Exum. So do the Jazz and Bucks.

My question, since the Bucks are gonna pick before the Magic how will they get Exum ???....Secondly, I really can't see Henny picking Smart if he gets a top 4-5 pick.

Lastly, I have a suggestion.....Since UK has Cauley-Stein, Johnson, Poythress coming back on top of 2 more 7-foot McDonals All-Americans and quite possibly the twins I think the Magic should just tank one more season, lol.

UK is gonna be just sick, I mean....10 McDonalds All-Americans on the roster....Can you imagine what practice is gonna be like in Lexington ???

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50456/nba-insider-chad-ford

Articles I recently read on Exum. Really liked the article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1939141-best-case-worst-case-nba-projection-for-australian-point-guard-dante-exum

I agree we need a point guard. We need someone who can penetrate, get the ball to open players, score and get to the free throw line. Plus a high basketball IQ and can play defense. I'm really leaning towards Exum with our first pick. As for pick #12... still up in the air there

Ron (Orlando)

http://espn.go.com/s...sider-chad-ford

It's yet to be determined if Milwaukee will pick ahead of us or not (depends on the outcome of the lottery), but if they wind up at 1 or 2 it would be somewhat surprising if they passed on Wiggins, Embiid, and Parker to draft Exum...at least in my opinion and based on mock drafts out there. I also can't see Utah passing on Parker if he's on the board. Good news is if Henny is that high on Smart, there's a really good chance he'll be there at 5 or 6, so I guess in that respect it takes some of the pressure off of moving up (from Henny's perspective anyway). That said, I'm thinking our draft board looks something like this:

1) Wiggins

2) Exum

3) Embiid (if he slips and we are picking 5/6)

4) Smart

And then go big at #12 (or maybe Ennis if we take Embiid). It's all going to depend on draft order obviously.

Could we buy him out and sign him to a longer deal at lower money? If that is possible I can see value in having him as a vet that others learn from. Maybe as a back up?

Yes, I could buy into this idea.