LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Would you take Randle over Smart and Exum?

Yes. Randle is going to be a 20/10 guy for several years. Exum could very well be better than that in his own way, Smart probably not.

edit: based on team needs ^

no hard feelings if Exum is called though..

I don't think I'd take Randle over Smart..

While he's a terrific rebounder, he's an undersized 4 who doesn't really play D, isn't super athletic, and doesn't have as polished an offensive game as we thought. He may turn out to be a pretty good player, but the strengths of Smart's game (defense, hustle, size for position) all translate better imo.

Randle has almost a 7 foot wing span and is a solid 6'9"; he shot very well coming into college then Cal had him work on his weakness at the time which was getting to the rim with the ball-he has no trouble with that now. Cal's mantra is to prepare people for the NBA, I expect Randle is NBA ready. He is also a smart player at a position that doesn't carry a lot of smart players. As you said he is a very good rebounder, and easily the best(today) in this loaded draft. Not a bad choice for someone in the 4-5 range. He won't score as much (consistently) as Parker, but he will do most of the other things better IMO including a better fg%.

anybody see a bit of deron williams in exum?

I actually see that more in Marcus Smart. Exum is more of a James Harden type player to me. Exum is an ideal combo guard who can thrive at the 1 or 2 IMO

NO is playing well of late and about to pass Denver in the standings, is the 11th pick coming into focus? NY is currently the 10th pick with 10 games left and holds a 2 game lead over denver. They have been playing much better, but have stumbled some too. They play 8 playoff teams ( plus utah and phoenix) to end the season, perhaps they lose enough to keep Atlanta in the playoffs and perhaps let Cleveland sneak up on them; they are playing better since Irving went down and winning games.

Randle has almost a 7 foot wing span and is a solid 6'9"; he shot very well coming into college then Cal had him work on his weakness at the time which was getting to the rim with the ball-he has no trouble with that now. Cal's mantra is to prepare people for the NBA, I expect Randle is NBA ready. He is also a smart player at a position that doesn't carry a lot of smart players. As you said he is a very good rebounder, and easily the best(today) in this loaded draft. Not a bad choice for someone in the 4-5 range. He won't score as much (consistently) as Parker, but he will do most of the other things better IMO including a better fg%.

An almost 7' wingspan at 6'9 is undersized in the NBA. To put that in perspective, Moe and Harris both have longer arms. Vuc (who I'm not suggesting is a good defender) has a wingspan of like 7'5 or more. I haven't seen any go-to offense out him other than muscle his away left around/through smaller players (which won't be the case in the league) and and throw the ball at the rim. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him at all. I'm just always skeptical of undersized bigs who also aren't a defensive presence.

I'm only going top three...

PG

1. Exum

2. Smart

3. Ennis

SG:

1. Wiggins

2. Stauskas

3. Young

PF

1. Gordon

2. Vonleh

3. Randle

Comments

I was quite high on Ennis and still like him, yet he's not the shooter or defender I thought he was. Obviously, I've grown to like Stauskas and believe he can be a Hayward type. I also think Young has big upside. (Hood just missed the cut). Then I have Gordon as the top PF. I think this young man can become a lovechild between Griffin and Kirilenko. He's young and has a ways to go but he's got the it factor for me. Randle, meanwhile, plays below the rim and reminds me of Baby. He'll probably put up some numbers in the NBA but I question whether he'll win.

Here's an idea that I think would be in our best interest but im not sure if any other team would do it.

If we get the number one pick we can draft Wiggins and then do you think a team with the number 2 or 3 pick would trade that to us for Vucevic and our number 12 so we could draft Embiid as well.

What do you think?

Here's an idea that I think would be in our best interest but im not sure if any other team would do it.

If we get the number one pick we can draft Wiggins and then do you think a team with the number 2 or 3 pick would trade that to us for Vucevic and our number 12 so we could draft Embiid as well.

What do you think?

I don't have a good idea of how the league values Vuc. I'm thinking we have a better shot of trading the 12 and afflalo for the lakers pick.