LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Would you trade our 2014 1rd pick and fillers for rondo (healthy)?

(Rondo + Wallace + Lee for Turk + Nelson + Afflalo +1rd Pick)

Nelson, Afflalo, AND our 1st? And we'd still have to take back Lee and Wallace?

Nelson, Afflalo, AND our 1st? And we'd still have to take back Lee and Wallace?

And rondo is coming off an injury.

And this move puts us in basketball purgatory.

And if we make this move wouldn't it make more sense to keep afflalo?

And why would Boston want to get rid of rondo for vets?They're trying to rebuild too.

Here's a cheat sheet:

We want to trade our veteran players for young players and/or picks. We aren't in a position right now to trade for older players as they're not part of our plan (unless we are going to flip them for young players/picks later). Our goal (in a best case scenario) is to begin competing for championships during the 2015-2016 season. The basic idea is to get a great player in this upcoming draft, let him grow and mesh with the team for a year (hopefully getting a shot at a playoff spot), and make a run at a top level free agent in the summer of 2015. Trading for rondo would hurt our draft pick and there's a good chance he won't be on the roster in 2016.

We do want to trade nelson and afflalo but the market for them is going to be teams with championship aspirations who need shooting and complimentary scorers. Boston is not one of these teams.

The entire market for nelson, Davis, and afflalo is: okc, San Antonio, golden state, Memphis, both LA teams, Houston, maybe Dallas, maybe Portland, maybe New Orleans, maybe Minnesota.

Miami, New York, Brooklyn, Washington, Indiana, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, maybe Charlotte

We do want to trade nelson and afflalo but the market for them is going to be teams with championship aspirations who need shooting and complimentary scorers. Boston is not one of these teams.

The entire market for nelson, Davis, and afflalo is: okc, San Antonio, golden state, Memphis, both LA teams, Houston, maybe Dallas, maybe Portland, maybe New Orleans, maybe Minnesota.

Miami, New York, Brooklyn, Washington, Indiana, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, maybe Charlotte

I see Charlotte making a play for a vet, not necessarily one of ours. MJ has opened up the check book and has gone on record more than once since the end of last season that he is in win mode. Next year they are the Hornets again and actually have rather sizeable marketability so its possible he could swing for an Afflalo. Milwaukee Bucks 2.0?

And rondo is coming off an injury.

And this move puts us in basketball purgatory.

And if we make this move wouldn't it make more sense to keep afflalo?

And why would Boston want to get rid of rondo for vets?They're trying to rebuild too.

Here's a cheat sheet:

We want to trade our veteran players for young players and/or picks. We aren't in a position right now to trade for older players as they're not part of our plan (unless we are going to flip them for young players/picks later). Our goal (in a best case scenario) is to begin competing for championships during the 2015-2016 season. The basic idea is to get a great player in this upcoming draft, let him grow and mesh with the team for a year (hopefully getting a shot at a playoff spot), and make a run at a top level free agent in the summer of 2015. Trading for rondo would hurt our draft pick and there's a good chance he won't be on the roster in 2016.

It looks like our team plays better than expect. So I think our 1rd pick won’t be in the top 5. With Rondo we would get an allstar PG (if he is healthy! If not -> NO TRADE!). After that trade we would have a 9 man rotation (Rondo, Oladipo, Lee, Harkless, Wallace, Harris, Nicholson, O’Quin, Vucevic). Maybe we could get another good player for Davis and Moore. With that group I think we could compete in the next 2-5 years.

I think Boston would love to get ride of the contracts from Wallace and Lee. On the other hand they receive some ending contracts (Nelson and Turk) a good player (Afflalo) and a 1rd Pick in the 2014 draft. With those assets they can start with the rebuilding.

It looks like our team plays better than expect. So I think our 1rd pick won’t be in the top 5. With Rondo we would get an allstar PG (if he is healthy! If not -> NO TRADE!). After that trade we would have a 9 man rotation (Rondo, Oladipo, Lee, Harkless, Wallace, Harris, Nicholson, O’Quin, Vucevic). Maybe we could get another good player for Davis and Moore. With that group I think we could compete in the next 2-5 years.

I think Boston would love to get ride of the contracts from Wallace and Lee. On the other hand they receive some ending contracts (Nelson and Turk) a good player (Afflalo) and a 1rd Pick in the 2014 draft. With those assets they can start with the rebuilding.

If only there was a recent example of a team starting the season pretty well, something like 12-13, before the team keeps slightly injured players out of games and trades veteran players for young pieces only to finish with 20 total wins. Can someone help me find an example of this? I don't have the time to look this stuff up. Anyone?

looks like it'll be NYs pick, prob high teens or low 20s. does anyone know the protections on phillys 2015 pick? we could get a really good pick if the protection isn't too harsh

Our second 1st rounder is looking pretty good to me right now. The Knicks don't look that good, Tyson Chandler got hurt last night, if he misses a few games we know they have no defense. Melo chucks up 30 shots a game gets tired or just starts pouting they could be pretty bad. Also Denver hasn't won yet. Their roster doesn't look that good especially in the west and they have a new coach. Who knows, we could get a real solid pick here.

If only there was a recent example of a team starting the season pretty well, something like 12-13, before the team keeps slightly injured players out of games and trades veteran players for young pieces only to finish with 20 total wins. Can someone help me find an example of this? I don't have the time to look this stuff up. Anyone?

The wheels can fall off in a hurry yes, and I may be speculating about what he was saying, but I believe there are a multitude of teams with less talent than the Magic. So it would theoretically be by default that we may be out of the bottom four running. Our only hope is that Utah picks it up once they get Burke and their other injured players back-they have zero pg play right now. Also, Washington will need to wake the F up in order for us to have a chance.

On a positive note: Denver looks HORRIBLE so far, and if Carmelo gets injured for any significant amount of time NY is out of the playoffs for sure-they are that un-stacked.

The wheels can fall off in a hurry yes, and I may be speculating about what he was saying, but I believe there are a multitude of teams with less talent than the Magic. So it would theoretically be by default that we may be out of the bottom four running. Our only hope is that Utah picks it up once they get Burke and their other injured players back-they have zero pg play right now. Also, Washington will need to wake the F up in order for us to have a chance.

On a positive note: Denver looks HORRIBLE so far, and if Carmelo gets injured for any significant amount of time NY is out of the playoffs for sure-they are that un-stacked.

That's why jameer and afflalo are on the trading block. We need to bottom out. It's the only way for us to become a contender again. Without bottoming out we're Minnesota. Lots of talent but no wins to show for it.