Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

John Denton, "this is a dramatically flawed team. It needs 'major' changes"! (blog)

Schmitz says the same:

Changes Coming For Magic, Likely At The Point

Posted on Mar 18, 2007 10:46:45 AM

There's no other way than to label the Magic's season as a disaster.

Even if they somehow sneak into the playoffs -- tell me if they deserve it? --- this team needs to be rebuilt again over the summer.

And it could all start with the point-guard position -- the most critical part of a team, especially one which has an all-star center (Dwight Howard) who is in need of direction.

The Magic have already expressed their unhappiness with Jameer Nelson, who has slumped this season. GM Otis Smith told us last week that the club might put its contract extension on hold and allow Nelson to become a free agent.

Privately, the thinking by some with the Magic front office that Nelson might be better suited as a backup and come in as a scorer.

Then there's Carlos Arroyo, now a very unhappy camper. Once Nelson's backup, Arroyo was demoted to the bench, giving way to Keyon Dooling.

Will the Magic place a call to Chauncey Billups' agent? Billups can become a free agent and wants a max contract. He is 30 years old, true, but he can lead.

The Magic desperately need leadership, as well as solid play at the point.

To try to pry Billups away from Detroit, where Billups can earn more money, the Magic will have to do their best recruiting.

And they will have to likely say goodbye to Darko Milicic. Milicic can become a restricted free agent, but if he commands anywhere from $6 million to $8 million per year, the Magic can't sign Billups or Vince Carter or Rashard Lewis or any other big-bucks free agent.

Perhaps they could sign Milicic and trade him for a point guard. That flies in the face of longstanding NBA logic --- trading away big for small -- but the Magic are in need and Milicic is inconsistent.

This Magic team should be built around Howard and Trevor Ariza and rework its blueprint again this offseason.

I wouldn't say it needs to be totally blown up, but the make-over should be extensive.

Smith already came out in support of Coach Brian Hill and said he would return, but a disastrous finish might get the front office to re-examine the situation.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/03/changes_coming_.html

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

Schmitz says the same:

Even if they somehow sneak into the playoffs -- tell me if they deserve it? --- this team needs to be rebuilt again over the summer.

And it could all start with the point-guard position -- the most critical part of a team, especially one which has an all-star center (Dwight Howard) who is in need of direction.

The Magic have already expressed their unhappiness with Jameer Nelson, who has slumped this season. GM Otis Smith told us last week that the club might put its contract extension on hold and allow Nelson to become a free agent.

Privately, the thinking by some with the Magic front office that Nelson might be better suited as a backup and come in as a scorer.

Then there's Carlos Arroyo, now a very unhappy camper. Once Nelson's backup, Arroyo was demoted to the bench, giving way to Keyon Dooling.

Will the Magic place a call to Chauncey Billups' agent? Billups can become a free agent and wants a max contract. He is 30 years old, true, but he can lead.

To try to pry Billups away from Detroit, where Billups can earn more money, the Magic will have to do their best recruiting.

And they will have to likely say goodbye to Darko Milicic. Milicic can become a restricted free agent, but if he commands anywhere from $6 million to $8 million per year, the Magic can't sign Billups or Vince Carter or Rashard Lewis or any other big-bucks free agent.

Perhaps they could sign Milicic and trade him for a point guard. That flies in the face of longstanding NBA logic --- trading away big for small -- but the Magic are in need and Milicic is inconsistent.

This Magic team should be built around Howard and Trevor Ariza and rework its blueprint again this offseason.

I wouldn't say it needs to be totally blown up, but the make-over should be extensive.

Smith already came out in support of Coach Brian Hill and said he would return, but a disastrous finish might get the front office to re-examine the situation.

Wow! Interesting stuff WPMagic. You should have started a new thread with this one. Schmitz is getting even more specific with roster changes.

Billups? Interesting. He is still not a wing scorer. Leadership, definitely.

Man, our roster has flaws. I'm just about ready to join the rest of you and hope we don't make the playoffs to get a new coach. Yep, I said it.

Sorry, Jack.

quote:

Its "NBA logic" because its silly to suggest otherwise. Basically Schmitz is admitting that he's out of the NBA mainstream and what he is saying wouldn't make sense to those in the know of the NBA. Even worse when the proposed traded player is 30 years old. (give me Vince. We know he can score regardless of team but who knows whether Billups will be able to lead a much younger team.)

Before you blast me for not accepting another of your "sources" let me point out that Schmitz's credibility has tanked in more than just my eyes when despite being schooled on the Cap and ways to clear space he continues to claim the Magic can't possible sign Darko. At least now he's saying "likely" so there is some progress. Besides as I pointed out he admits the majority of NBA minds would consider his proposition foolish not interesting. That closes the case.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

Schmitz says the same:

I get the feeling Schmitz just doesn't like Darko, for whatever reason.

And anyone who thinks Billups will leave Detroit to come to Orlando, when Detroit has light years more money to pay him than us is delusional.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

These beat writers that I quoted here study the Magic for a living. They opinions are not the ultimate authority but I certainly value it because that's their job.

wow they "study the Magic for a living" lol.. Just when I thought I heard it all!

I'm no genius but as long as there are people paying attention to dimwits like John Denton, we're still going to get these types of articles blaming it on the "teams play" etc. Funny how he mentions absolutely zero about the coaching lol..

Excuse me while I go to the bathroom and wipe my butt with this gem of an article, I'll brb

quote:
originally posted by jack daniel 999

quote:

Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

Originally posted by jack daniel 999:

Otis is going to have his hands full of adjusting to do this summer.

Why? What's so difficult about sending a mass email to all the GMs in the league that says: "Anyone on our team except Dwight and Trevor can be had for the right price."

Now that's an idea...LOL

Gee for such a BELIEVER it's ironic that someone would be so glad to see the whole team gone..

lol Gotta love it, some idiot writes an article and everyone agrees we should trade the whole team away! Break up the team yeah, the coach? blah who cares, NBA coaches are overrated anyways! < sarcasm >

quote:

And anyone who thinks Billups will leave Detroit to come to Orlando, when Detroit has light years more money to pay him than us is delusional.

Funny thing is, he comes here and we're still gonna be a .500 club. No matter how much we could pay him, this debate is a waste of time since he'd never go to a franchise that hires losers like B.Hill.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why? What's so difficult about sending a mass email to all the GMs in the league that says: "Anyone on our team except Dwight and Trevor can be had for the right price."

Now that's an idea...LOL

Gee for such a BELIEVER it's ironic that someone would be so glad to see the whole team gone..

For someone that uses sarcasm all the time its funny that you have a hard time recognizing it.

There has GOT to be a way to somehow trade for a decent point guard that distributes the ball nicely and still sign Darko for that 6-8 mil/yr range.

Anyone have any ideas?

The only other option is to fish around the 2nd round for a pg, which almost never works...

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Now that's an idea...LOL

For someone that uses sarcasm all the time its funny that you have a hard time recognizing it.

Thanks Emory...I think he's got the hots for me...LOL

llmo

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

There has GOT to be a way to somehow trade for a decent point guard that distributes the ball nicely and still sign Darko for that 6-8 mil/yr range.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sure. We'll have probably 10-12 million in cap room after we resign darko(if he's in that range). That'll sign a decent pg. Or we could trade a package of some combo of Bogans, Arroyo and Hedo for one. Or we could try to trade said players and get a younger pg, as well as a serviceable big in a package deal.

Needless to say their are several options. Or, we could just wait out Jameer and see if he can learn to take fewer ill-advised shots. Tonight he did much better than usual.