Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Schmitz insinuates Arroyo, Bogans will be traded--thinks J.J.'s time is now(blog)

The end for Arroyo, Bogans? Beginning for J.J.?

Magic Coach Brian Hill said he "used guys that I thought we're going to help us win the game" after Orlando knocked off Utah Wednesday night.

Point guard Carlos Arroyo and shooting guard Keith Bogans were not among those guys, benched and taken out of the rotation by Hill.

Arroyo likely had an inkling, playing just five minutes Monday night in the Charlotte disaster.

What does it all mean, as the Magic make a desperate push for the playoffs?

It might mean Arroyo and Bogans will be on the trading block this summer.

Rookie J.J. Redick was handed Bogans' minutes, and scored eight points in 22 minutes.

It appears Hill is going with a playoff-type rotation -- tight and bright --- and that could mean Arroyo and Bogans will be collecting splinters on the bench.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/03/the_end_for_arr.html

The end for Arroyo, Bogans? Beginning for J.J.?

Magic Coach Brian Hill said he "used guys that I thought we're going to help us win the game" after Orlando knocked off Utah Wednesday night.

Point guard Carlos Arroyo and shooting guard Keith Bogans were not among those guys, benched and taken out of the rotation by Hill.

Arroyo likely had an inkling, playing just five minutes Monday night in the Charlotte disaster.

What does it all mean, as the Magic make a desperate push for the playoffs?

It might mean Arroyo and Bogans will be on the trading block this summer.

Rookie J.J. Redick was handed Bogans' minutes, and scored eight points in 22 minutes.

It appears Hill is going with a playoff-type rotation -- tight and bright --- and that could mean Arroyo and Bogans will be collecting splinters on the bench.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/03/the_end_for_arr.html

I would not be surprised to see Carlos moved this summer. He is still a solid back-up PG, but needs to play in much more up tempo, free flowing offense to be effective.

Considering he is in the final year of his contract, I think the team could find a home for him easily.

I don't see a lot of trade value for Keith, my guess is unless he is a throw in to balance contracts on another deal. He will play out this contract stewing on the bench as an emergency injury sub.

These guys are talented and don't need to be traded.......

All I recommend is that they watch video and elevate from this point on.

They need to clear the logjam at the 1-3 positions, particularly if they wanna bring in a scorer at those positions, which means a couple players need to go, so they can bring in said player and still develop the young core.

I think they trade Bogans and Arroyo, and I think Dooling will opt out(though I liked him as a backup pg last night).

Anybody know why Bogans is being punished? He is our best 3pt shooter percentage wise and he plays solid defense. I tend to think he hasn't produced the way we know he is capable of. But then again, who has?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Anybody know why Bogans is being punished? He is our best 3pt shooter percentage wise and he plays solid defense. I tend to think he hasn't produced the way we know he is capable of. But then again, who has?

I agree Smack, Bogans has been relatively consistent and definitely does a job for the team. I like that Coach is giving JJ a chance but I dont think Bogans should be traded or dropped to the end of the bench.

Carlos I can understand. It's not really because of his stats, or desire to play, but more his playing style. He'd be great on a Suns or Mavs team, a kind of run-and-gun where everyone can pass and everyone can shoot.

The Magic are more of an inside-out team where everything starts (or should start) with Dwight getting the ball. Arroyo's a great player, but probably not a great fit.

Bogans, though - you need a 'dirty work' player who doesn't really care about the stat line and just plays good solid defense for the minutes he's given. Keith does that, in my opinion.

quote:

IMO, Bogans is the most selfish player on this team. He doesn't pass on fast breaks or setup other players while running the half-court offense. I've never seen him make that extra pass to the better shooter (JJ). With him, it's like he's trying to score all he can while losing focus of the TEAM concept at the same time. He's a solid defender but his BB IQ doesn't help the team. Again, this is just my opinion so be merciful when attacking me.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

My guess would be his decisions when he goes to the basket. There has been times where he is a black hole for the basketball and we've seen him go 1 on 4 and turn the thing over. Not saying this was the right approach to take with him but that is the only reason I can think of.

It just seems weird for a coach who is trying to develop a defensive identity with this team to bench one of his better defenders.

Sure, Bogans sits on the perimeter too often waiting for the ball. Sure, he puts his head down and drives hard to the basket. But, in my opinion that doesn't indicate a lack of effort as is the problem with this team on most nights.

From the dungeon to the penthouse for JJ. I agree with a post from another thread. Going from DNPs to being in a short rotation has a smell of Otis. I'll bet the players and coach weren't the only one that had a venting meeting