Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

I like McCollum but Erick Green put up very similar numbers and might posses better point guard skills

I had a chance to see him play in Greensboro this year and I can tell you that he is the real deal. He can be an effective scoring guard off the bench, a role that can give a team some value in the late first, early 2nd. Obviously he is a score first guard, but I think he is well suited for a Jamal Crawford type of role.

No PG worth a damn will be available at #13 and Otto Porter is fairly redundant with Harkless and Harris, so I suppose we just disagree there. I do believe we will try to use the TPE in a similar way as you mentioned...Hennigan obviously schemed to wait deeper into the summer last year in order to keep it in play this summer, which was pretty savy.

I don't think Porter is redundant, but I see why people think that. I also know the Magic have been into Porter and Smart for months. Obviously one is not happening. Porter leaked this himself when he said he would be "a good fit" here at the combine. He did not say it because he wants to draft him (he knows he will go top 3 regardless). He was told it by Magic personnel.

The reason that is the case is Harkless can play 2, or come off the bench. He can be a 6th man. Harris can play PF. Porter is potentially the best guy in this draft and may very well go #1. The Magic don't see anything wrong with having a multitude of talent at the wing position.

I also believe they can find a very nice player at #13 regardless of it being a big or a PG.

All that being said I like Mclemore at 2. i think he fills a huge need and has the talent to develop into a fringe star.

Um, his assist to turnover ratio (a much more telling stat) was 2.7:2.4 which is damn abysmal.

A:TO is not in anyway a more telling stat. CJ McCollum is going to move from a team with zero NBA prospects where he had to score 20+ points every night just to give his team a chance to a team full of NBA players where he won't be relied on as heavily to score. Virtually every starting PG in the NBA has a better A:TO than they did in college.

The more I watch film on Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, the more I like him. What's most impressive is he improved his 3p% over 7% from freshman to sophomore seasons. If we do get a pick in the late teens, he's someone worth talking about. Size is great too. Burke and Caldwell-Pope could be a fun back-court.

I like McCollum but Erick Green put up very similar numbers and might posses better point guard skills

He's definitely better out of the Pick and Roll. That's McCollum's biggest weakness in my opinion.

Seems like a lot of people are saying Oladipo is underrated. Seems to be a great defender, but I honestly know little else than the usual ESPN blather.

Would it be completely stupid to take him over Burke at #2? I wouldn't mind building a primarily defensive-minded team.

A:TO is not in anyway a more telling stat. CJ McCollum is going to move from a team with zero NBA prospects where he had to score 20+ points every night just to give his team a chance to a team full of NBA players where he won't be relied on as heavily to score. Virtually every starting PG in the NBA has a better A:TO than they did in college.

He's just not a good value when you have guys like Green who will be available much later in the draft. Talk about a poor supporting cast, this guy played on a team with only 7 scholarship players in a tough ACC.

Seems like a lot of people are saying Oladipo is underrated. Seems to be a great defender, but I honestly know little else than the usual ESPN blather.

Would it be completely stupid to take him over Burke at #2? I wouldn't mind building a primarily defensive-minded team.

Tough call. Burke is the next Jameer Nelson. A solid starting Pg., but not a star.

Oladipo is the next Thabo -eque roleplaying SG.

Porter - the next Deng

Ben Mac - the next Ray Allen

These are all speculated projections. I am not saying they are true, but if you are drafting for ceiling, you are picking between Ben and Otto.

Oladipo's issue is he can't shoot that well from outside. Magic need shooting.

Hardaway saying Oladipo was a little better then Ben Mac in 1 on 1 is seriously being overhyped on message boards. It doesn't mean that much.

Schroeder

Thank you. I think he may be available there. That is a great pick at #13, especially if you grab Porter or Mac at 2.

Thank you. I think he may be available there. That is a great pick at #13, especially if you grab Porter or Mac at 2.

Schroeder is definitely available at 13 and I agree that if you take Porter/BMac/'dipo at 2 then thats a great draft. My issue is his personality doesn't seem like it meshes with what Henny continues to talk about when bringing in players... I'd actually love to grab Schroeder but I just don't think we will.

I guess we should watch out for the workouts. If Schroeder comes to work out here it's a possibility at least. If he doesn't visit I'd say it's certain we won't pick him.