Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

To add to this, drafting him at #2 only takes the pressure off him, and to a lesser extent, us as a franchise. The beauty is Nelson can ease him in and almost definitely will be injured enough to give him every opportunity to play significant minutes. When you really break it down, is there a better pure basketball player in this draft than Trey Burke? The answer is no. Yes he has flaws, but the guy has all the intangibles and really does have great PG and leadership skills. I'm not trying to sell this, I'm just telling you what I'm hearing from behind closed doors. Do not be surprised if we trade down and take him at 4 or 5, and count on McLemore buzz...he's our greatest leverage. Henny loves Burke...its part of the reason we didn't interview him at the combine. This guys hobby is being three steps ahead of the competition...its really a beautiful thing, to care and scheme that is. Henny is the ultimate poker player. He's the card counting dork that walks away from the table with the stash before the tapes start rolling

I disagree with almost all of this. Sorry. Magic would take Porter over Burke if he falls to #2.

If we trade down to 4 or 5, yes we could take Burke, but is that going to happen?

The reality is what I already posted. We are going to use the TPE to take advantage of the Dwight frenzy. This is already coming to fruition as Dallas wants to dump salary for the #13 pick. The Magic could draft Mclemore or Porter and then grab a PG there. It makes more sense than hoping to trade down 2 spots, which is difficult to do.

So like I said before, we will probably use Dwight to our advantage one more time. Thanks again D12 for the memories.

Furthermore, the Magic will probably not get Oladipo since they desperately need a perimeter shooter.

To say the Magic are "in love" with Burks is false. They were in love with Smart, which had been posted weeks back. If they loved Burke, they would have wanted him over Smart but that is not the case.

If the team wound up trading back into the late lottery, I think I'd be pretty ok with them taking Adams. Sure, he's raw as heck, but the team doesn't really need a guy who can contribute immediately.

He turns the ball over at much to high a rate to be an NBA PG and that's with playing against poor competition.

CJ McCollum in the games he played this year had a TO% of 12.3% and on his career at Lehigh had a TO% of 11.3%.

Chris Paul has a career TO% of 13%

Tony Parker's is 14%

Deron Williams' is 16.3%

Kyrie Irving is 14.3%

Russell Westbrook's is 15.4%

Steve Nash's is 19.4%

Try again sir.

There are many reasons why people should question McCollum's ability to play PG. His turnover rate is not one of them.

He turns the ball over at much to high a rate to be an NBA PG and that's with playing against poor competition. There is only one franchise PG in this draft and that is Burke. It's like suggesting trading down in 05 to take Raymond Felton rather than Deron and CP3. Not saying that Burke will be as good as those two, just that the talent isn't on the same level. An ideal spot to trade down would be picks 3-5.

If we managed to do that it would make more sense to me. Burke at 4 or 5 then we grab another pick in the teens I'm assuming? I'd like a perimeter scorer to tag a long with Burke, maybe someone like Jamaal Franklin?

Honestly, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Burke. He's not a big guy, but he has great vision and after watching him in the NCAA, he has an attitude that's hard to coach.

On a team that's going to suck for a couple years, you need attitude people who hate losing, but don't tear up the locker room or tear down their teammates (*cough* Dwight *cough*).

And if he can't make the leap? Our team next year will suck and we'll get a good pick again.

If we managed to do that it would make more sense to me. Burke at 4 or 5 then we grab another pick in the teens I'm assuming? I'd like a perimeter scorer to tag a long with Burke, maybe someone like Jamaal Franklin?

I like Franklin, my issue with him is he's not a good fit on a team of Burke, Harkless, Harris, Vucevic since one of his major weaknesses is outside shooting and with him in the lineup we don't have much 3 pt shooting. What I love about him is his competitive fire. He's the kind of guy who'll dive on the floor and wrestle for the ball, he makes winning plays and I'd draft him in an instant if he shot 35+% from 3 instead of 27%

I like Franklin, my issue with him is he's not a good fit on a team of Burke, Harkless, Harris, Vucevic since one of his major weaknesses is outside shooting and with him in the lineup we don't have much 3 pt shooting. What I love about him is his competitive fire. He's the kind of guy who'll dive on the floor and wrestle for the ball, he makes winning plays and I'd draft him in an instant if he shot 35+% from 3 instead of 27%

Yea that's the knock with him. Not many other guards though after him if we were to trade down. Not sure what our target would be, Caldwell-Pope?. If we had Burke it would be nice to have a knock down shooter playing next to him. Then all the sudden the inside opens up some for Nick and driving lanes are there for Harris.

CJ McCollum in the games he played this year had a TO% of 12.3% and on his career at Lehigh had a TO% of 11.3%.

Chris Paul has a career TO% of 13%

Tony Parker's is 14%

Deron Williams' is 16.3%

Kyrie Irving is 14.3%

Russell Westbrook's is 15.4%

Steve Nash's is 19.4%

Try again sir.

There are many reasons why people should question McCollum's ability to play PG. His turnover rate is not one of them.

Um, his assist to turnover ratio (a much more telling stat) was 2.7:2.4 which is damn abysmal.

I disagree with almost all of this. Sorry. Magic would take Porter over Burke if he falls to #2.

If we trade down to 4 or 5, yes we could take Burke, but is that going to happen?

The reality is what I already posted. We are going to use the TPE to take advantage of the Dwight frenzy. This is already coming to fruition as Dallas wants to dump salary for the #13 pick. The Magic could draft Mclemore or Porter and then grab a PG there. It makes more sense than hoping to trade down 2 spots, which is difficult to do.

So like I said before, we will probably use Dwight to our advantage one more time. Thanks again D12 for the memories.

Furthermore, the Magic will probably not get Oladipo since they desperately need a perimeter shooter.

To say the Magic are "in love" with Burks is false. They were in love with Smart, which had been posted weeks back. If they loved Burke, they would have wanted him over Smart but that is not the case.

No PG worth a damn will be available at #13 and Otto Porter is fairly redundant with Harkless and Harris, so I suppose we just disagree there. I do believe we will try to use the TPE in a similar way as you mentioned...Hennigan obviously schemed to wait deeper into the summer last year in order to keep it in play this summer, which was pretty savvy.

Anyone but Porter.

As for Smart, he looked good for this year's draft but could very well be the 3rd best PG in next year's draft behing Hill & Harrison. The scenarios that are being thrown out there to take a non-PG this year so that we can grab Smart next year should take this into account.

If not that then a pick next year and as pointed out by many on this board the Dallas pick seems ripe for the picking. Another possibility is trading AA.

Anyone but Porter.

As for Smart, he looked good for this year's draft but could very well be the 3rd best PG in next year's draft behing Hill & Harrison. The scenarios that are being thrown out there to take a non-PG this year so that we can grab Smart next year should take this into account.

I think we could pick later in the top 10 next year and still come away with Smart. Of course this is all largely contingent on how their stock changes over the course of a year.