Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Actually the Hawks desparately needed a PG and still picked Marvin Williams over Paul and Williams...I don't know if there is a word in the English language for that kind of stupid.

Exactly, the Hawks drafted Talent over needs, just like the Bobcats do.

Please someone name one team that has done what most of you are (even Josh Robins) are suggesting (stacking assets by drafting talent only) that has been successful, name one... Dain, WhiteMamba, etc.

Please someone name one team that has done what most of you are (even Josh Robins) are suggesting (stacking assets by drafting talent only) that has been successful, name one... Dain, WhiteMamba, etc.

Well that depends on how you evaluate talent. The Hawks and Bobcats do a piss poor job of evaluating players. Adam Morrison, DJ Augustine, some French guy, Marvin Williams, Sheldon Williams, I could go on and on.

As far as what you are asking the best example is the Thunder. They took Jeff Green and Kevin Durant who were both 3s. They also took Harden right after Westbrook when no one really knew Westbrook would turn out to be this good of a point guard.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't trying to make a point there, the Hawks drafted based on potential not on BPA plus a need, I can't articulate how idiotic they were. You ALWAYS draft BPA ALWAYS. You can always trade an asset, you can't get anything for your poorly scouted position pick.

bledsoe is ****

His numbers as a starter are pretty good. And he's only 23.

Problem is sample size.

He could develop though. With jameer and a former point guard head coach I'd be optimistic.

Well that depends on how you evaluate talent. The Hawks and Bobcats do a piss poor job of evaluating players. Adam Morrison, DJ Augustine, some French guy, Marvin Williams, Sheldon Williams, I could go on and on.

As far as what you are asking the best example is the Thunder. They took Jeff Green and Kevin Durant who were both 3s. They also took Harden right after Westbrook when no one really knew Westbrook would turn out to be this good of a point guard.

I came to post this. Good job.

You draft talent until you solidify your roster. Then you can plug holes by drafting a need (assuming you're not in the top 5)

Rockets drafted Hakeem when they already had Ralph Sampson. Pacers drafted Paul George when they had Granger. I can't think of any others off the top of my head, I would have to look at past drafts.

I would also say that when you are trying to manage your salary cap drafting a younger (and cheaper) player allows you to trade duplication of talent for some other need. If I already have a PG and I draft another that turns out to be awesome I can move my current more expensive player for a SF on some other team that needs a PG.

Triple post ftw!

You don't draft by need because you never know what your needs are down the road. Something extreme like an injury of the Livingston/Roy variety or something small like another team overpaying your free agent will quickly make a strength a need.

That's really the key, isn't it? BPA vs. BPA at a positition of need doesn't really matter if your scouting sucks. Happily, I feel like we can give the current FO the benefit of the doubt when it comes to figuring out which players are worth having.

Rockets drafted Hakeem when they already had Ralph Sampson. Pacers drafted Paul George when they had Granger. I can't think of any others off the top of my head, I would have to look at past drafts.

I would also say that when you are trying to manage your salary cap drafting a younger (and cheaper) player allows you to trade duplication of talent for some other need. If I already have a PG and I draft another that turns out to be awesome I can move my current more expensive player for a SF on some other team that needs a PG.

Duncan- Robinson.

To show the opposite, Bowie over Jordan when they had drexler. Oden over Durant when they had Roy.

The Orlando Magic are considering Trey Burke with the No. 2 overall pick, but sources say they are not sold on him with that high of a pick and could instead target Eric Bledsoe via tarde.

The Magic would be willing to trade Arron Afflalo for Bledsoe and the expiring contract of Caron Butler.

Afflalo would give the Los Angeles Clippers a more traditional shooting guard to pair with Paul in the backcourt.

With the No. 2 pick, the Magic could then target Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore.

Via Chad Ford/ESPN

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/227889/Magic-Interested-In-Trading-For-Eric-Bledsoe

Umm... What?

Aron was a starter over JJ for a reason.

While your right about the screens and curl screen pop shots, JJ did a considerable amount of slashing.

No, I wasnt suggesting Ben being drafted. I was suggesting that our system is going to have a play into our decision... much like talent and position needs. And I was also suggesting that Oladipo would be a better fit because he is known to drive where Ben is known for shooting, if it was down to who is the best fit into JV's system both offensively and defensively.

I'm sorry but JJ Redick is not a slashing/athletic SG. I have no idea why you would think this.

Our current system (the way we utilized JJ) would work very nicely for Ben's game as well.