Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Yes to all of this, guys you forgot its only going to cost us $4.2 Mil to buy out Hedo since he gave us $2.1 Mil when he got caught for steroids. 4.1 is chump change and I'm sure Hennigan will look to see if a team wants him but in all reality I don't see that happening so we can eat that $4.2 Mil and move on. Al can be traded since he is a vet and young teams will want him, I could see the Pelicans taking him as well as the Pistons. Trading our #2 away could cause huge chaos and what happens if Oladipo and McLemore are not available at 13, I could see teams trading up after we trade out of #2, a slight possibility but why risk it in a mediocre draft class.

And wishful thinking but could anyone see CP3 coming to Orlando... we have a young core, great front office, and a coach that is respected and seems to be a "players coach". Also with our young team we have a lot of potential to be a powerhouse in the next 2-3 years. Would Chris Paul wait that long and we have a lot of cap space in 2014 so he could potentially lure an All Star or we end up with a great pick next year.

just some thoughts

McLemore and/or Dipo definitely won't be there at 9 or 13. We'd presumably be picking from Burke (if he slips), McCollum, or Schroeder. The benefit would be dumping a salary and adding D. Williams (if you consider that a benefit). Obviously there are other trades out there (Houston & Thomas Robinson/Mavs wanting out of the 13 slot) but I was just wondering what everyone thought?

As for the second part of your post, no way Chris Paul comes to Orlando...we wouldn't even attempt to sway him at the stage of the rebuild we're in. We're a couple years away from being players in FA.

T-Wolves would like to move up from #9 to draft McLemore/Oladipo. Would you all consider D. Williams/#9 pick for the #2 and dump a contract? Burke/McCollum/Schroeder could all be in play at #9 because so few teams have need at PG. Hmmmm

Yes, I'd take Williams + Schröder over anyone in this draft

http://nba.si.com/20...wr_a1&eref=sihp

Interesting take on Oladipo vs McLemore.

Where Oladipo is considered more of a given is the defensive end, where he was one of the college game’s most disruptive perimeter defenders, constantly ball hawking and harassing opposing guards. He’s a sturdy 6-foot-4 in shoes with a 6-foot-9 wingspan, so he has the size to defend pro guards. Throw in how consistently hard he plays, which isn’t always a given for NBA guys 82 nights a year, and you should have a rookie who’s a solid contributor with significant upside as his offensive skills continue to improve.

The decision between Ben McLemore and Oladipo as the first shooting guard off the board should be an interesting one. McLemore is a dreamer’s prospect, with good athleticism and a beautiful shooting stroke that makes him look like a surefire NBA 2. Some people mention the age difference as a factor between the prospects, but Oladipo is only nine months older than McLemore. Throw in Oladipo’s superior defense and, to this point, superior constitution as a player, and it’s a lot more of a decision than anyone could have expected. Most teams likely would go with the upside of McLemore, but Oladipo probably will be the better immediate two-way player. Where he goes from there, and whether his upside is as considerable as McLemore’s, will be determined by his continued offensive development./quote]

• Upvote 1

He's going to have to show me a lot before I see similarities between him and probably the greatest small forward defender of all-time.

I agree. I reached a lot but I have not seen someone defend as good as him at wing in a while. Avery Bradley is really really good to but smaller.

...........And wishful thinking but could anyone see CP3 coming to Orlando... we have a young core, great front office, and a coach that is respected and seems to be a "players coach". Also with our young team we have a lot of potential to be a powerhouse in the next 2-3 years. Would Chris Paul wait that long and we have a lot of cap space in 2014 so he could potentially lure an All Star or we end up with a great pick next year.

just some thoughts

Perhaps a little wishful thinking in this post. At this point, neither the front office nor the coach has proven anything. If we're back in the playoffs with a greatly improved team in a couple of years, then we can start to talk about a great front office and respected coach. Until then, we can have high hopes but let's be honest about where things stand.

“The breaking news is that John Thompson III thinks he’s by far the best player in this draft,” the coach responded, with what sounded like a slight laugh. “And so if I had number 1, I would take him. If [someone] didn’t take him at 1, if I had 2 I would take him. And if [someone] didn’t take him at 2 and I’m the Wizards, I would take him. So that’s the breaking news: that I think he’s the most complete, the most ready player in the draft right now.”

Maybe not breaking news, but certainly a headline. Thompson also offered up Paul George, one of the breakout stars of these playoffs, as a potential NBA comparison for Porter.

“I think he’s going to be terrific,” the coach said. “Otto is someone who, with his size and his length and his athleticism and his intelligence, initially, right out of the gate, offensively he’ll be able to play multiple positions. And then as he gets stronger on the other end of the court, he’ll be able to guard multiple positions. Whoever gets him is going to get someone that is NBA-ready, to come in and contribute at a high level right out of the gate….A good comparison with him, I think, is Paul George, when you look at someone with that size, how he can affect the game from the defensive end, how offensively he poses problems. Because he can take you off the bounce, because he can make a shot, because he can go inside.”

http://www.washingto...-in-this-draft/

I would love to unload Afflalo however I would obviously want to see who is available at 9 before making such a decision.

Interestingly, Schröder worked out with the Houston Rockets last Wednesday — even though the Rockets don’t have a first-round draft pick.

I was told Schröder didn’t perform well in Houston and was outplayed by Phil Pressey, the son of former Bucks guard Paul Pressey, and Ray McCallum, the son of former University of Wisconsin assistant coach Ray McCallum Sr. Both Pressey and McCallum are projected second-round picks.

Schröder said he was disappointed by his showing in Houston, although he said there was a reason for it.

“I was still bothered by the tooth,” said Schröder, who showed up but didn’t partake in drills at the Chicago pre-draft camp because of an alleged tooth ailment, which only added fuel to the “promise” rumor. “I need to step it up and I think I showed that with my workout here (with the Bucks).”

Some observers of Schröder’s workout with the Bucks said he turned in a solid but hardly spectacular performance. Fortunately for Schröder, most teams don’t put a lot of stock in team workouts. They rely much more heavily on the information they’ve garnered throughout the course of the season.

And that information bodes well for Schröoder. He played for The New Yorker Phantoms in the German League this past season and held his own against older and more mature players. In 32 games with the Phantoms, Schroder averaged 12 points and 3.2 assists.

Schröder’s physical measurables at the pre-draft camp were also excellent for a point guard: His wingspan was measured at 6-7¾. He has an 8-2 reach and a huge hand width of 10.5 inches.

Schröder was also measured at 6-foot-1 without shoes and, according to him, is still growing.

“The doctors in Germany told me I’m still growing,’’ Schröder said. “I could grow another two more inches. That would be nice.”

http://journaltimes....1a4bcf887a.html

Chad Ford's new mock has the Magic taking Oladipo.

Analysis: According to sources, the Magic, are still wide open. They say they have nine (gulp) players that they are considering. Michigan's Trey Burke was in this slot in Mock 3.0, but I'm hearing the Magic aren't sold on him as the second best player in the draft. They might take him, but he's not an outright frontrunner, despite the need.

The Magic are eyeing other young point guards such as Eric Bledsoe. If they make a trade, starting two-guard Arron Afflalo will be the bait. Assistant GM Scott Perry (who helped Afflalo in Detroit) doesn't want to give him up, but given where the Magic are as team, it might be the only way to trade for a point guard upgrade. If Afflalo goes, the two-guard position opens up. Both Oladipo and McLemore would be upgrades long-term anyway. While McLemore is a better shooter, Oladipo's toughness, defense and leadership might be more appealing to a rebuilding team.