Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

There is an arguement to be had over which is easier to learn, but I do feel that defense is a bit harder to teach because if you don't have the physical gifts for it, then it will take much longer for you to become a better defensive player. As for Offense, it is more of a matter of finding what you are good at, and expanding upon it. I do like Oli and Mclemore as our pick though...and even more so if we add Bledsoe via trade.

Mclemore has a slightly better shot but oladipo can become more consistent and improve in the long run.

I'm not saying we should take Ben over Oladipo, but if Victor had a shot anywhere close to Ben's this wouldn't even be a question. Also, in 3 years of college Oladipo has already done a tremendous amount of improving (which really speaks to his work ethic) so I'm not entirely sure how far away from his ceiling he already is.

I feel the exact opposite. I feel like you can teach defense. See SVG 2006-2012. Offense and stroke are typically not things that improve much.

Both can be taught to some extent. For shooting, you can teach form/technique and hope the repetition pays off. For defense, you can teach team defense, concepts, positioning, etc.

If you're a smart and talented player, you can be taught just about anything.

And I'm on board with this, too.

I mean, the last time we had a major signing was when we managed to get a max-paid, completely injured Grant Hill and a max-paid roleplayer from Toronto. Yes, McGrady panned out in fantastic fashion, but that was luck: we were going after Tim Duncan and Grant Hill and when Timmy went back to SA, Orlando was in a panic to throw that money at ANYONE.

I'm hard-pressed to think of any huge offseason signings that were actually in our favor. Most of our big names have arrived here via draft or trade.

I think you are forgetting about rashard lewis. But your point is accurate. Even With Rashard, we had to overpaid him in order for him to sign with orlando.

Most of the free agents will ended up looking into either the LA, texas or even chicago franchises. Whoever is smart, they should stdy indiana, memphis, cleveland and orlando situation as they seems to have a bright future ahead. Just my opinion.

Both can be taught to some extent. For shooting, you can teach form/technique and hope the repetition pays off. For defense, you can teach team defense, concepts, positioning, etc.

If you're a smart and talented player, you can be taught just about anything.

Can you learn to fly?

JJ is a great example of hard work and shooting talent resulting in improved offense AND defense.

At this point we have to trust the front office.

Clearly they are not sold on Burke as the best pick at #2.

I am not sure I am sold on anyone as a #2 in this draft....

This draft actully has some depth to it but the top is just lacking on the can't miss types. Just means Henny is going to have to really do his homework on this one to get a productive starter out of it.

• Upvote 1

I feel the exact opposite. I feel like you can teach defense. See SVG 2006-2012. Offense and stroke are typically not things that improve much.

I disagree. Look at guys who came into the league with very little offensive stroke but had the determination and athleticism to do improve. I most notably look at LeBron James and Derrick Rose.

TEAM Defense can be taught. Individual defense cannot. Why? Because it's ultimately about athleticism and how badly you want it. It's why I'm more sold on Oladipo than BMac. The guys just wants it more and will become a more complete player because of it.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. Look at guys who came into the league with very little offensive stroke but had the determination and athleticism to do improve. I most notably look at LeBron James and Derrick Rose.

TEAM Defense can be taught. Individual defense cannot. Why? Because it's ultimately about athleticism and how badly you want it. It's why I'm more sold on Oladipo than BMac. The guys just wants it more and will become a more complete player because of it.

You disagree and then use the example of 2 of the Top 5 players in the NBA to make your point. Guys like Oladipo who I would consider the 3-4th best player on a team or not all of a sudden going to turn into a 20 ppg scorer.

If its about athelticism than BMac wins there too.

I feel like oladipo has the best chance to be a successful nba player while mclemore has the best chance to be an all star.

I mean, mclemore is either going to be really good or a guy that we don't pick up the team option on his rookie deal because he's not worth the salary.

Oladipo is going to be a utility swingman who you throw at the other team's best scorer but I doubt he's ever going to be better than the 4th best player on a playoff team.

Decisions decisions...