Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Do you guys think Klay Thompson is good?

I think Ben Mac is more like him, but should be better as he is more athletic and better at defense.

Now, look at GSW. They have Curry as well. Our team is not completed, and our best players won't be here until after next season.

So ask yourself - would you want Klay Thompson on this team? To me that answer is yes.

Another reason why - Vuc is an elite rebounder. That's what you want down low. A guy who grabs the misses and finishes or kicks it back out.

So now the question lies in Harkless and Harris..how good can these guys be at SF/SG and PF/SF? the answer - let's find out next season.

2014 you get your shot creator - either a SF in Wiggins/Parker or a stud PG. Then you add a shot blocker in free agency.

That's really a great point. Right now, we don't have the pieces. We kind of have a good center in Vuc. Not all-star, but he's better than most. We have a good SF.

'Meer, when he's healthy, is a great PG, but his window's closing. I fully believe, and have always believed, that 'Meer would be positively deadly off the bench, but I'm not sure that's a role he'd relish playing.

So we need a SG and a PF and a PG. If we could get our hands on an a game-changing center (Noel), it changes the calculus, but we're at least two years away from having what we need.

We need to grab the pieces we can, when we can, and realize that it might not work for a few years, even though the pieces are right. Sometimes it just takes time for things to click.

so what happens if we get the 5th or 6th pick in next year's draft

also klay thompson was the only guy at washington state and shouldered that team's scoring load, he had a much more advanced floor game than mclemore did. in addition to this klay is huge for his position at 6'7" which helps him shoot over defenders, mclemore is barely 6'5" in shoes.

Has anyone considered where our GM came from? Let me put it out there because it does play a role into what we will be doing for this draft:

"Rob Hennigan spent four years working for the San Antonio Spurs and another four years working for the Oklahoma City Thunder before taking the GM position at Orlando in 2012."

If we look at how the Spurs and Thunder are constructed they are very similar.

Spurs started their core with Tim (PF) in 97, while David was still there... Then added Manu (SG) in 99... Then added Tony (PG) in 2001. Draft years 98 and 2000 didnt produce anyone.

Oklahoma City (aka Seattle Supersonics). Seattle started their core by drafting Kevin Durant (PF) in 07, then Seattle drafted Westbrook (PG) and Ibaka © for 2008. OKC took over and drafted James Harden (SG) the following year.

Lets look at Orlando and Rob's first year here. Orlando started the new core by drafting Andrew Nicholson in 2012 (PF). Made some serious trades for Nikola Vucevic © and Maurice Harkless (SF). Then made another serious trade for Tobias Harris (PF).

Looking into this draft for Orlando, the choices are Burke (PG), Ben (SG), Noel © and Victor (SG). It looks like we are locked and loaded at both PF and C position. Unless their is a trick up his sleeve that is dealing with a team that wants something really bad in return... I dont see the pick being Noel.

That leaves Burke, Ben and Victor left. Since Ben and Victor plays the same position, it comes down too who has the best ceiling and can contribute long term. I personally dont know who that would be. If we did compare the two Victor and Ben based on size and college stats from this past year... Victor would edge Ben by a little. Playing the money ball theory:

Field Goals: Ben shoots 49% from the field. Making 5.4 shots for every 10.8 attempts (Dont know why they use decimals). Victor shoots 59% from the field. Making 5.1 shots for every 8.4 attempts.

3pt Shooting: Ben shoots 42% from the 3pt field. Making 2 shots for every 4.7 attempts. Victor shoots 44% from the 3pt field. Making 0.8 shots for every 1.9 attempts.

Minutes Played, Points Avg, Scoring Efficiency: Ben has played 32.2 minutes and averaged 15.9 pts per game. Giving Ben a scoring efficiency of 1.4. Victor has played 28.4 minutes and averaged 13.6pts per game. Giving Victor a scoring efficiency of 1.6.

Free throws: Ben is a hot 87% converting 3.2 shots out of every 3.7 attempts. Victor on the other hand isnt so hot coming in at 74%, converting 2.7 out of 3.6 attempts.

Rebounding: Ben comes in with averaging 5.2 where Victor averages 6.3.

Assist, Turn Overs and Steals: Ben averages 2 AST, 2.1 TO and 1 STL. Victor averages 2.1 AST, 2.3 TO and 2.2 STL.

As you can see from the above the two SG's are pretty close to each other. The real difference is the game recaps, where Ben just dominates scoring 20pts or more 8 times and 30pts or more 3 times. Victor on the other hand didnt have the same luck, only scoring 20pts or more 2 times and nothing else.

However offensive schemes and the other players on the team have alot to do with it. Its gonna be a tough call if we end up going with SG as our first round pick... where every we land at.

Then that leaves Burke... who is pretty much all by himself in the PG field since Smart has returned back to college. Burke's only comp comes from MCW but looking at both their stats lines and college game logs... Burke remains alone.

Ultimately I think it really depends on what number ball we get for our selection... If we come in at #4, I think Burke and Victor would be the only options left.. and there you look ahead a draft and see the wing potentials. If you feel that your SG is in the next draft, we will get Burke. If you feel that your PG is in the next draft (Smart is possible for a mid round pick given the talent)... then we might only have Victor as a selection.

At the end of the day Ben, Burke or Victor will be a huge help for a team that has a older PG, and a older SG (both being injury prone)

Something about McLemore just keeps saying that he has a high potential to be a bust.

He is actually older than both Harkless (15 months) and Harris (5 months) and only 9 months younger than Olidipo.

All the stuff coming coming out about his AAU coach (the same guy who moved him around in HS as well) taking money from an agent during the season says a lot about his character.

Something about McLemore just keeps saying that he has a high potential to be a bust.

He is actually older than both Harkless (15 months) and Harris (5 months) and only 9 months younger than Olidipo.

All the stuff coming coming out about his AAU coach (the same guy who moved him around in HS as well) taking money from an agent during the season says a lot about his character.

I agree. Reading about his history and watching his body language on the court, he sure as heck doesn't look like a leader.

Lets look at Orlando and Rob's first year here. Orlando started the new core by drafting Andrew Nicholson in 2012 (PF). Made some serious trades for Nikola Vucevic © and Maurice Harkless (SF). Then made another serious trade for Tobias Harris (PF).

Looking into this draft for Orlando, the choices are Burke (PG), Ben (SG), Noel © and Victor (SG). It looks like we are locked and loaded at both PF and C position. Unless their is a trick up his sleeve that is dealing with a team that wants something really bad in return... I dont see the pick being Noel.

I can't agree with this comment. Tobias looks a lot more like a SF to me than a PF, and Andrew might have the worst lateral quickness in the league. I can't see Andrew being a starter, especially next to Vooch. Plus, Noel's ability and ceiling at PF or C, especially on defense, is far superior to Andrew's or Vooch's. Now Noel's injury history is a serious matter, which is the main reason I think we might pass on him.

How can you say a 20 year old who played 1 year in college "Isn't a winner"? I don't get how we have enough game tape and history of him to declare whether he is a winner or not. Guy had a bad tournament and we are writing him off. He his 2 game winners this year too. Wayyyyy to early to declare him a winner or loser. Please.

Im not saying he is a looser. If you don´t want to think that for me is OK, this is my opinion.

He doesn´t want the ball to take over a game. I don´t see him wanting it. Is something mental. You have it or you don´t, you can´t learn that. For me and for all the game i watched Mclemore, he doesn´t have it. Two game winners is nothing to say that is a winner either…

so what happens if we get the 5th or 6th pick in next year's draft

also klay thompson was the only guy at washington state and shouldered that team's scoring load, he had a much more advanced floor game than mclemore did. in addition to this klay is huge for his position at 6'7" which helps him shoot over defenders, mclemore is barely 6'5" in shoes.

You are being that message board guy that is obsessed with height. It's stupid. Its about wingspan and athleticism. McLemore's wingspan IS 6'7 and he can jump put of the gym.

Klay Thompson was never that athletic and was not a guy who even drove to the hole. He was a guy who came off screens and shot jumpers. Ben does the same thing with more athleticism. If JJ Redick figured out how to get a shot off with no wingspan, lower athleticism and less height, how exactly will Ben have trouble at the SG position?

Do you really think is it not beneficial to have an elite shooter at SG? Do you really think a SG at 6'5 with a 6'7 wingspan can't shoot over defenders while playing SG?

I can't agree with this comment. Tobias looks a lot more like a SF to me than a PF, and Andrew might have the worst lateral quickness in the league. I can't see Andrew being a starter, especially next to Vooch. Plus, Noel's ability and ceiling at PF or C, especially on defense, is far superior to Andrew's or Vooch's. Now Noel's injury history is a serious matter, which is the main reason I think we might pass on him.

Understandable, but keep in mind that typically it takes 3 to 4yrs for players to really find themselves in the NBA. Andrew did okay for being year 1 and given the comp he had to face. Sure Andrew reminds of a sloth on defense, but some weight training and foot work skills will help that out. But maybe there was another reason why we trade for Tobias, to possible be that starting PF along with Vuc and Harkless.

We still have 2 Centers, and 3 PF's (adding Glen). SG and PG are definitely the two area's that we dont have anyone young to look to.

Im not saying he is a looser. If you don´t want to think that for me is OK, this is my opinion.

He doesn´t want the ball to take over a game. I don´t see him wanting to take making it. Is something mental. You have it or you don´t you can´t learn that. For me and for all the game i watch him, he doesn´t have it. Two game winners is nothing to say that is a winner either…

Now everyone sounds like parrots. "he doesn't take over a game" has been said by multiple people here probably because they read it on a blog. Did you even watch Kansas? Did you see the coach admit he did not run enough plays for Ben? Their offense does not allow a guy to take over a game that easily. Just watch their games. I is not the Ben Mac show over there.

Do we need a guy who can take over a game every night? Not really. We need a guy who can shoot 3s and defend the SG position. A guy who can score on fast breaks and create quick buckets in transition.

You want a guy who takes over a game..hibernate for a year and hit me up in 2014.

I pretty much agree with the whole of your post, but this part stood out for me.

It might seem that we are locked and loaded in that position if we go with Harkless (SF), Harris (PF), and Vuc © as starters; and with our backups we have Jones (SG/SF), Nicholson (PF), Big Baby (PF/C), and O'Quinn ©. But I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft Noel to give us more size and a dominant defensive presence on the court. Sure the Vuc has done very well last season, but Noel has the potential to be an excellent compliment to Vuc. Having those two at our C and PF positions would give the team a good defensive backbone, something which it lacked last season.

By going that this route it would allow us to continue to use Nicholson as our backup power forward, and then shift Harris to his more natural small forward position, with Harkless becoming our backup small forward. I think Harris is undersized for the power forward position, and although a lot of players have made a living out of being undersized, in Harris' case I think his hustle, athleticism and his explosive scoring ability would be better ultilized at small forward. Sure Harkless is decent defensively, but the addition of Noel would give us the extra size we need. It would also allow us to develop Harkless' game to be a decent player off the bench.

In this scenario if we could get a second top ten pick in next year's first round draft, then we could potentially end up landing Smart for the point guard position, and one of Harrison, Young, Selden or Hezonja for the shooting guard position. That would then give us a line up of:

- Smart (PG), Harrison/Young/Selden/Hezonja (SG), Harris (SF), Noel (PF/C), Vuc (PF/C)

Off the bench we'd have:

- Harkless, Nicholson, O'Quinn, Moore, Jones and Lamb, plus any other players we acquire.

For me that team would be defensively solid, and also possess an offensive threat as well. Granted it would be fleshed out with potential free agents with proven ability to help the team become competitive and make strides towards the play offs. But in terms of talent it would be a good base for this team's future.

That said, going with a player like Burke or McLemore would give us the long term answer at one of our guard positions, and would then allow us to continue developing Harkless and Harris at the forward positions, with Vuc at C. Then in next year's draft we could address the other guard position if we did not land a top two pick. So a team could be:

- Burke/Smart (PG), McLemore/Harrison, Young, Selden or Hezonja (SG), Harkless (SF), Harris (PF), Vuc ©

That line up has potential, and once fleshed out could help us become competitive. I guess that is the case with whoever we take in this year's draft, and of the two, I am honestly not sure which I would rather have at this time. I'd be happy with either turnout if we miss out on Wiggisn or Parker next year, but obviously I'd rather we grab one of them.

• Upvote 1

I pretty much agree with the whole of your post, but this part stood out for me.

It might seem that we are locked and loaded in that position if we go with Harkless (SF), Harris (PF), and Vuc © as starters; and with our backups we have Jones (SG/SF), Nicholson (PF), Big Baby (PF/C), and O'Quinn ©. But I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft Noel to give us more size and a dominant defensive presence on the court. Sure the Vuc has done very well last season, but Noel has the potential to be an excellent compliment to Vuc. Having those two at our C and PF positions would give the team a good defensive backbone, something which it lacked last season.

By going that this route it would allow us to continue to use Nicholson as our backup power forward, and then shift Harris to his more natural small forward position, with Harkless becoming our backup small forward. I think Harris is undersized for the power forward position, and although a lot of players have made a living out of being undersized, in Harris' case I think his hustle, athleticism and his explosive scoring ability would be better ultilized at small forward. Sure Harkless is decent defensively, but the addition of Noel would give us the extra size we need. It would also allow us to develop Harkless' game to be a decent player off the bench.

In this scenario if we could get a second top ten pick in next year's first round draft, then we could potentially end up landing Smart for the point guard position, and one of Harrison, Young, Selden or Hezonja for the shooting guard position. That would then give us a line up of:

- Smart (PG), Harrison/Young/Selden/Hezonja (SG), Harris (SF), Noel (PF/C), Vuc (PF/C)

Off the bench we'd have:

- Harkless, Nicholson, O'Quinn, Moore, Jones and Lamb, plus any other players we acquire.

For me that team would be defensively solid, and also possess an offensive threat as well. Granted it would be fleshed out with potential free agents with proven ability to help the team become competitive and make strides towards the play offs. But in terms of talent it would be a good base for this team's future.

That said, going with a player like Burke or McLemore would give us the long term answer at one of our guard positions, and would then allow us to continue developing Harkless and Harris at the forward positions, with Vuc at C. Then in next year's draft we could address the other guard position if we did not land a top two pick. So a team could be:

- Burke/Smart (PG), McLemore/Harrison, Young, Selden or Hezonja (SG), Harkless (SF), Harris (PF), Vuc ©

That line up has potential, and once fleshed out could help us become competitive. I guess that is the case with whoever we take in this year's draft, and of the two, I am honestly not sure which I would rather have at this time. I'd be happy with either turnout if we miss out on Wiggisn or Parker next year, but obviously I'd rather we grab one of them.

Nice. Very good response and I agree with your logic. Alot of what we all come up with in terms of drafting said name player and why, is going to change for sure once we find out the actual pick that we have.

My "Spider Senses" tells me that the BobCats will get the number one pick after being shafted last year in a somewhat conspiracy thought about way. If that takes place, then this conversation becomes easier, since they would definitely draft Noel after missing out on Davis last year.

I definitely see Rob following the same format as the Spurs and OKC.