Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

I'd like a Biedrins/Jefferson for Hedo/Harrington +draft pick deal. With the early termination options on Turk and Harrington the Warriors save money, plus Harrington could actually contribute for a year or two if they were so inclined.

I was thinking either/or rather than both. We can buy out Turk/Al for $13M, but Biedrins/Jefferson are guaranteed $20M. $7M is too much for a probable mid 1st round pick.

Looking ahead in next years draft, you have to ask yourself... Do I wait until next year to draft a PG with what is available? Or do I draft a PG this year because I know what is available for the 2014 draft?

Its the reason why I dont see any draft pick resulting in anyone besides Trey Burke... or MCW...

I was thinking either/or rather than both. We can buy out Turk/Al for $13M, but Biedrins/Jefferson are guaranteed $20M. $7M is too much for a probable mid 1st round pick.

Oh yea I meant either or not both..

Looking ahead in next years draft, you have to ask yourself... Do I wait until next year to draft a PG with what is available? Or do I draft a PG this year because I know what is available for the 2014 draft?

Its the reason why I dont see any draft pick resulting in anyone besides Trey Burke... or MCW

Dear god no! Even the thought of MCW is cringe worthy.

And this sounds ridiculous because people probably don't want to be bad again after the 2014 season but 2015 might just have some elite PG's. Tyus Jones is on pace to break the record for assists at the Nike Elite Basketball League this year and is averaging 8APG and 20 Points against some of the countries best young players. Dante Exum, who was the youngest guy (and one of the most impressive) at the Nike Hoop Summit, seems to be looking at the 2015 NBA draft. There's a chance that Kasey Hill may have to stay in college more than one year if he doesn't beat out Scottie Wilbekin for the starting job at Florida.

I really wouldn't mind 3 high draft picks in a row if it resulted in a high pick in 2014 and one of those guys in 2015.

Plus we could always trade back in (or back into) this draft and get Schroeder. Or draft Andrew Harrison (not sold yet on him) in 2014.

There are a lot more options than just saying "well we need a PG at some point, might as well just take this guy because he's the first one that came along".

• Upvote 2

There are a lot more options than just saying "well we need a PG at some point, might as well just take this guy because he's the first one that came along".

Dear god THANK YOUR FOR THIS QUOTE!!

This is my whole point with Trey Burke. "Oh we need a PG might as well draft Mr. Average" . Ugh, no thanks. We have more needs than just a PG on this team so draft best player available because anything but a SF helps us.

Its the reason why I dont see any draft pick resulting in anyone besides Trey Burke... or MCW...

I'd have to agree, because as much potential as Harkless and Harris may have at the forward position, the chance to grab a (potentially) franchise changing star like Wiggins or Parker might be too good to miss, and that is why I feel that in the 2014 draft we won't target a PG in the first round unless we get an extra first round pick in a trade.

For me, I think we'll either end up taking Burke or Noel with our pick this year. Burke gives us the potential replacement for Jameer; though if we go for Noel, he gives us a dominant defensive presence on the court. I'm not sure which we'll go for, or for that matter, which I prefer. But both guys could be good fits with this team, though if we do go for the latter we do have options in trading for a PG or signing one in the 2014 free agency: John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Ricky Rubio, or Norris Cole. Some are more realistic than others, but all of them could be options to replace Nelson with. Of the lot I think we could perhaps persuade the Clippers to trade Bledsoe for Nelson, because Bledsoe could be our answer at PG for the future, while Nelson could be an excellent impact player for them; and the same goes for the Heat, though I don't think they would have the cap space to take on a contract like Nelson's.

So while we could go for a PG in the 2014 draft, I think it is more likely we will go for one in this year's draft if we take the drafting route. If we don't, then I'd expect us to trade for one (perhaps Bledsoe or Cole), or go for one in free agency (Wall, Bledsoe if he gets that far, Rubio if he hits the market, or Cole). Any of them would do for me, but I'll back whatever decision Henny makes. If he goes for Noel this year and takes a PG next year, then so be it.

It seems fairly obvious to me that the top 3 choices for the Magic in this draft are Noel, McLemore, and Burke (in whatever order you want to believe). Here's a hypothetical- what should we do if we get screwed by receiving the 4th pick in the draft and each of these guys are taken 1,2, and 3?

There really isnt a clear cut choice outside of these 3 guys that we should take, so I would say trade down in the draft for maybe 2 mid-late first rounders.

It seems fairly obvious to me that the top 3 choices for the Magic in this draft are Noel, McLemore, and Burke (in whatever order you want to believe). Here's a hypothetical- what should we do if we get screwed by receiving the 4th pick in the draft and each of these guys are taken 1,2, and 3?

There really isnt a clear cut choice outside of these 3 guys that we should take, so I would say trade down in the draft for maybe 2 mid-late first rounders.

I think Oladipo could become a nice role player, but I'm not overly excited

2 Mid to late first rounders in this draft? Pass.