Sign in to follow this  
Ellzolo

NBA Offseason 2013 Thread

Guest magicmacblue

I sincerely hope Matt is ok...with that being said anyone but Richie A!

A lot of us predicted Dwight would crumble in LA. Supposedly, part of the reason he went there was for his global "brand."

Check this out:

Would you put him on your "Top 30 Most Entertaining NBA Players" list? I sure wouldn't.This recent Forbes article was fascinating: LeBron James generated $300 million worth of U.S. sneaker sales in 2012, outselling every other NBA star by a 6-to-1 margin. The rest of the top five: Kobe ($50 million), Carmelo ($40 million), Durant ($35 million) and Rose ($25 million). Dwight Howard? He sold $5 million worth of sneakers, the same number as John Wall. Sorry to be harsh, but as a "marketable personality," Dwight Howard just never got there.

My guess is his marketability was much higher in Orlando than it is now in LA, where he's been exposed as the immature, narcissistic, unaccountable brat that he's become.

• Upvote 1

A lot of us predicted Dwight would crumble in LA. Supposedly, part of the reason he went there was for his global "brand."

Check this out:

My guess is his marketability was much higher in Orlando than it is now in LA, where he's been exposed as the immature, narcissistic, unaccountable brat that he's become.

I would agree. Which I have always believed the D12 Trade had other goals in mind besides getting better. Dwight wanted the world, so Orlando gave it to him, just not in the preferred location of his choice. But to the location where the lights and ultimate Diva's go and thrive in. To the same location where Shaq, Dwights worst nightmare and HOF critic, played and won champions at. With all of Dwights weaknesses, which we all knew about... it was the worst place for him Ever. Except Dwight didnt think so and happily signed a contract, burning some bridges in the process.

So far Dwights move has worked out the way most of us thought it would.... a flaming disaster dressed up as a one trick pony...sperm bank (5 for 5). The dream story lines faded with his free throw shooting. Playing under his 3rd coach in 2yrs and being knocked out of the playoffs early 2yrs in a row (One postseason he didnt even play, probably knocking up chick #4 in LA where he stayed). That max 118 Million dollar contract isnt looking to good anymore. And some are even questioning the 80 Mill range for someone who worked on a jump shot for 8yrs and didnt even attempt it last year, and those free throws...sigh.

Look where he is now.... Dwight thinking about FA.... Again.... Dwightmare Episode 30 Season 10.

Story Lines:

Does he burn LA in the same fashion as Orlando?

Will Houston involve itself into the Dwightmix and cause a 3-way love triangle?

Will Dallas top them all and steal Dwight and CP3?

Or Will there be the x-factor team of Atlanta who will stop at nothing to finally become relevant with Dwightness.

Yea, its not surprising to hear Dwight's brand sinking faster than the Titanic. Great to see Dwight handling everything he wanted so well.

saw this posted on nbc sports:

Report: Magic interested in Eric Bledsoe.

"Sources say the Magic have a lot of interest in Clippers point guard Eric Bledsoe and would be willing to trade Afflalo for Bledsoe and Caron Butler‘s expiring contract. Would the Clippers bite? Afflalo would give them an established veteran and a big upgrade at shooting guard to pair in the backcourt with Chris Paul."

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/29/report-magic-interested-in-eric-bledsoe-thats-a-long-line/

Story Lines:

Does he burn LA in the same fashion as Orlando?

Will Houston involve itself into the Dwightmix and cause a 3-way love triangle?

Will Dallas top them all and steal Dwight and CP3?

Or Will there be the x-factor team of Atlanta who will stop at nothing to finally become relevant with Dwightness.

Yea, its not surprising to hear Dwight's brand sinking faster than the Titanic. Great to see Dwight handling everything he wanted so well.

I think this board is a little rough on Dwight. Yeah, I didn't like the way he left either, but consider:

1. He played hard here for 8 years. No one has questioned his effort except maybe for the end of his last season here.

2. Otis Smith surrounded him with a cast of overpaid aging and/or mediocre players. Look at the rest of the team during Dwight's last year. Then look at the salary cap disaster Otis had created, limiting any possibility of quick improvement. If Dwight wanted any reasonable chance of being on a championship caliber team sometime within the next five years, he really had no choice but to move.

3. It's true that the way he handled the move and especially SVG left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

At this point I wouldn't be upset if Dwight had a couple of years of success. He tried hard to bring some success to Orlando. He certainly wasn't nearly as negative towards Orlando as Shaq was, in fact has said many nice things about Orlando and the fans here, and yet it seems we're more negative towards him than we were to Shaq.

I think this board is a little rough on Dwight. Yeah, I didn't like the way he left either, but consider:

1. He played hard here for 8 years. No one has questioned his effort except maybe for the end of his last season here.

2. Otis Smith surrounded him with a cast of overpaid aging and/or mediocre players. Look at the rest of the team during Dwight's last year. Then look at the salary cap disaster Otis had created, limiting any possibility of quick improvement. If Dwight wanted any reasonable chance of being on a championship caliber team sometime within the next five years, he really had no choice but to move.

3. It's true that the way he handled the move and especially SVG left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

At this point I wouldn't be upset if Dwight had a couple of years of success. He tried hard to bring some success to Orlando. He certainly wasn't nearly as negative towards Orlando as Shaq was, in fact has said many nice things about Orlando and the fans here, and yet it seems we're more negative towards him than we were to Shaq.

Well Shaq left as a FA instead of being a huge crybaby jackhole who forced a trade like Dwight did.

He certainly wasn't nearly as negative towards Orlando as Shaq was, in fact has said many nice things about Orlando and the fans here, and yet it seems we're more negative towards him than we were to Shaq.

It's a bit more fresh this one. They'll even out eventually.

About the only way I can see Dwight establishing any marketability is by growing a hipster beard.

I see the Demarcus Cousins rumors are starting up again. According to Chad Ford the Cavs, Mavs and Bobcats are testing the Kings' interest in trading him. Now I don't think he'll go, for me the Kings new owners and GM will want to build around him, but here's a thought would we be interested?

Now at #2 people say there is no legit star, but if we could do a deal to acquire Cousins then we'd be getting a player with all star ability. He could start at C and Vučević at PF, or vice versa. That could be quite a duo, with both guys potential all stars. Highly unlikely to happen, but it would be an interesting thing to consider if Cousins is available. Main issue is his attitude, but under the right coach that could be handled. I think the Mavs could be a good place with Dirk and thir head coach, though I think he'll stay with the Kings.

About the only way I can see Dwight establishing any marketability is by growing a hipster beard.

Nope. I remember when he tried to grow a beard here. I've seen better beards on women.