Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Smack Confidential 2:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

As soon as you see who Seattle wants in the sign and trade for rashard, you will know whether or not Otis can pull this off. If there are a number of expiring contracts included that total an amount close to what Wallace will accept, then he's coming here.

On Darko, even if he (Darko, not his lame *** agent) does say that he doesn't want to play for the Magic we can still get him the biggest contract through a sign and trade. Which means we would have both G Hill & Darko available for sign and trade. You still think we can't replace him?

well....let's hope you're right. and if you are... then otis is king. but if we miss out on darko and we don't get anyone else... i'll be pretty pissed.

I think Otis is doing wonders so far. But he is allowed a blunder, at least one, during the offseason.

I think it is easier to believe that he just mishandled this a bit than it is to think that the Darko camp is in on the shenanigans.

Darko is gone. The quicker we get used to it the better. But once he is gone, we should all pray that he stays the Detroit Darko, not the sometimes promising Darko we saw this past season and a half.

Well to this point, no-one has heard anything from Darko! If you remember the comments Otis made to ESPN....Darko Knows that we love him and want him here". Is somthing that Otis could have mentioned to Darko before the start of the FA season, in fact...SVG hasn't really mentioned him at all, and Reshard Lewis didn't either today!!! HHHHMMMMMM????

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

I think Otis is doing wonders so far. But he is allowed a blunder, at least one, during the offseason.

I think it is easier to believe that he just mishandled this a bit than it is to think that the Darko camp is in on the shenanigans.

Darko is gone. The quicker we get used to it the better. But once he is gone, we should all pray that he stays the Detroit Darko, not the sometimes promising Darko we saw this past season and a half.

Cornstein is clearly basing his reaction off of raw emotions rather than rational thought. I think his bluff got called (maybe along with the Sonics) with the "25 teams" comments and now he is upset by it. It will be interesting to see if Darko retains his agent after Cornstein basically backed himself into a corner with the team that could offer Darko the most money.

I can't see how Darko will be happy with a midlevel exception when the Magic offered 2mil more as a qualifying offer.

Otis has no problem playing hard ball with a player that has been on our roster for a bit. Remember how he was with Stevenson, and D-Steve had been with us much longer and frankly, had contributed much more than Darko.

Now he is playing extreme hard ball with Darko. If Darko doesn't get anything better than the offer the Magic just took off the table, then he will have to make the choice of coming back to us (and swallowing his pride) or sticking it to Otis and signing for less with another team.

I can tell you this though, no way Darko goes someplace and is made the focal point. He would have more freedom here than with most teams.

Guys, if we get Gerald Wallace at SG and Rashard Lewis at SF, honestly Dakro being here will be an afterthought. That is absolute killer depth on the wings right there.

Ok this is gonna be the last time (ithink) that i post my knowledge on here on this situation...lol

Ok when a team makes an official "offer sheet" it immediately affects they're cap space. On top of that it stays active for seven days. So any team that makes a pass at darko automatically looks up every last penny on the offer sheet....who wants to do that if they are already looking elsewhere?? Now if they have an outstanding offer sheet they cannot sign another free agent that will put them over the cap unless it is they're own free agent or they have waited the 7 day moratorium for the offer to come off the books...

By retaining his bird rights (there are 3 different types) but the one for darko gives us the RIGHT to immediately sign & trade him if he accepts another teams offer.

JJZ and Military do you here that???? WE WILL GET COMPENSATION. Now as it is mentioned there are 2 other teams that have cap room to offer Darko a contract, HOWEVER they can only sign him to a little over 10 million according to league rules, AND THEN WE CAN STILL OFFER A 12.5 Million contract (if we have the cap space?? even after reading and cross referencing the CBA i can not find that info)

On top of that if he seriously wiould rather leave then take the higher contract we can still get compensation because the bird rights allow us to immediattly sign and trade him to that team. By making him unrestricted all we lose is the ROFR option (right of first refusal option)

Man if anyone cant see that what Otis has done is the smartest thing possible then i dont know what to tell you.

WE KEEP or GET COMPENSATION for Darko anyway the deals go down...

His agent needs to read up on the CBA

And if anyone wants some of this i have read and re-read the entire CBA dealing with Free- Agents and Salary Cap issues, rookie scal contracts and PTO's, ETO's, DRAFT PICKS and a few other sections.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Here's how this announcement to renounce Darko breaks down...

We still have his bird rights according to nba.com.

This means that we sign and trade to get Rashard using expiring contracts that are valuable to them and which we desire to part with. This brings in Rashard and maintains our current cap figure, which means we can then turn around and go after Gerald Wallace.

Once we sign Gerald Wallace we can then make Darko an offer to go over the cap.

Smack,

If it works out the way you write it above I'll nominate Otis for GM of the year. But I don't think it's gonna happen. Too many things have to work out that we don't control, and right now it doesn't feel like the momentum is carrying us in that direction.

If we wind up with Lewis but no Darko, then we have a very emaciated front line. And if we don't get an S&T with Seattle, then we have no cap space left to fix our front line. And if we've alienated Darko to boot and he won't sign with us, our Bird rights are worthless, so we don't get to sign him either (a sign and trade might still work to save the day, however).

In which case our decision to trade away our first round draft pick for Darko a year and a half ago is just rubbing salt in our wounds.

So here's something unusual: I'm really really really hoping that you are 100% right, and I'm 100% wrong. That's what would be best for the Magic.

Good Luck, Man. May all your predictions turn out to be true (I mean that sincerely).

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

Ok this is gonna be the last time (ithink) that i post my knowledge on here on this situation...lol

Ok when a team makes an official "offer sheet" it immediately affects they're cap space. On top of that it stays active for seven days. So any team that makes a pass at darko automatically looks up every last penny on the offer sheet....who wants to do that if they are already looking elsewhere?? Now if they have an outstanding offer sheet they cannot sign another free agent that will put them over the cap unless it is they're own free agent or they have waited the 7 day moratorium for the offer to come off the books...

By retaining his bird rights (there are 3 different types) but the one for darko gives us the RIGHT to immediately sign & trade him if he accepts another teams offer.

JJZ and Military do you here that???? WE WILL GET COMPENSATION. Now as it is mentioned there are 2 other teams that have cap room to offer Darko a contract, HOWEVER they can only sign him to a little over 10 million according to league rules, AND THEN WE CAN STILL OFFER A 12.5 Million contract (if we have the cap space?? even after reading and cross referencing the CBA i can not find that info)

On top of that if he seriously wiould rather leave then take the higher contract we can still get compensation because the bird rights allow us to immediattly sign and trade him to that team. By making him unrestricted all we lose is the ROFR option (right of first refusal option)

Man if anyone cant see that what Otis has done is the smartest thing possible then i dont know what to tell you.

WE KEEP or GET COMPENSATION for Darko anyway the deals go down...

His agent needs to read up on the CBA

And if anyone wants some of this i have read and re-read the entire CBA dealing with Free- Agents and Salary Cap issues, rookie scal contracts and PTO's, ETO's, DRAFT PICKS and a few other sections.

Thank you for clarifying, Nathan. As long as we get compensation if we lose Darko, I'll be fine.

Here is the definition of the exact bird rights we own on darko...

quote:

LARRY BIRD EXCEPTION -- This is the best known one. Players who qualify for this exception are called "Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception is a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception. This exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, up to the player's maximum salary. The player must have played for three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. These contracts can be up to six years in length. A player can receive raises up to 10.5% of the salary in the first season of the contract. This exception is known as the Larry Bird exception because the Celtics were the first team allowed to exceed the cap to keep their own free agent, and the player happened to be Bird.

Can a team sign all the free agents it wants (up to the cap limit) and THEN re-sign its own free agents using the Bird exception?

Yes, but there's a restriction. A team's free agents continue to count as team salary (against the salary cap). This charge is called the "free agent amount." So there may not be enough money under the cap to sign another team's free agent, because the team's own free agents are taking up all their cap room.