Sign in to follow this  
FENDI

Nelson deal no slam dunk [page 2]

quote:
Originally posted by Nike:

Jameer played a lot better, even though the stat sheets shows a low shooting percentage.

Jameer played a lot better????? What game were you watching?

The last 7 minutes of the game he single-handedly screwed up our offense. And he wasn't good in the third quarter either.

Schmitz reported about a month ago that Jameer's agent was discussing contracts with the Magic. Corresponded right with the Magic going down the tubes.

I remember thinking at the time: "Magic management has got to be PISSED Jameer had the gaul to make this a topic at this point in the season!" I thought I was just a little delusional at the time - guess not!

I can't believe our team is falling apart like this... our "high character" guys... oh brother.

The way he's playing he is a midlevel exception if Otis is feeling very generous. Any more than that and I will personally hand Jameer his walking papers. Assuming that's who the topic is about.

I think he's going to say Magic will not extend Jameer until next year, after the 07-08 season. This way, he has a chance to earn his check. If he doesn't we'll sign him for CHEAP or he can walk. Oh well.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

Carlos is no up for extension though.

But if I am not mistaken he can opt out and ask to be traded or just win his money in the bench which will not help the assistance much.
either way, its not an extension contract.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

It is Jameer. Says so at the bottom of today's Sentinel article. Supposedly it is on page D5. Can somebody post it please?

Here you go Smack:

quote:
The idea of handing a contract extension to Dwight Howard this summer is, in the basketball vernacular, a slam-dunk.

The notion that Jameer Nelson also would be rewarded along with Howard was considered at least a lay-up at one time . . . but not anymore.

Nelson's decline this season has introduced a degree of difficulty into the process. In fact, the Magic are wondering whether to offer Nelson an extension -- or wait to see what happens should he become a restricted free agent next summer.

"We start talking about extensions like they're a given," General Manager Otis Smith told the Sentinel. "Jameer has to understand that we expect more out of him."

In some ways, said Smith, measuring Nelson's worth is more challenging than figuring out Darko Milicic's. The Magic nixed an extension offer to Milicic before the season, allowing him to become a restricted free agent this summer.

The club has a feel for what the market might be for a young 7-foot big man. But for a 5-10 point guard who is struggling with turnovers and running a team, well, not so much.

Steve Mountain, Nelson's agent, recently told the Sentinel that he believes "Jameer has done enough" to prove himself after almost three seasons. The Magic, obviously, are of a different opinion.

"I don't think Jameer's had the best of years," Smith said.

If Nelson expects to be paid a salary similar to, say, Chicago Bulls point guard Kirk Hinrich (5 years/$47.5 million ), no deal will get done between him and the Magic this summer. The club's contract parameters, perhaps, for Nelson's extension align closer to Seattle SuperSonics point guard Luke Ridnour (3 years/$19.5 million).

The Magic could be taking on a lot of longterm payroll this offseason. Howard is expected to receive a five-year, $87.5 million deal. If he finds a suitor, Milicic could fetch a four- or five-year contract worth $40-$50 million. The Magic want him back, but on a short-term deal.

Orlando also wants to sign a free agent this summer, preferably a scorer. Adding Nelson's extension to the mix, along with Howard's and Milicic's, would give the Magic three weighty contracts.

Don't get Smith wrong: He's a huge Nelson fan. He loves his toughness and believes Nelson can be an outstanding point guard.

He just wants Jameer to prove him right.

I would be very leery of giving Jameer a boatload of money. I don't think I need to comment on his play this year, everyone has eyes just like me.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...?coll=orl-sports-col

ever since steve left, jameer has been playing poorly. i think its b/c jameer was the backup then and he was trying to be the starter. he was playing with a chip on his shoulder. now that steve's gone, jameer is the starter and has nothing to play for. i mean if jammer plays poorly, then who's gonna back him up? carlos arroyo? and we all saw why carlos isn't the starter. in my opinion, both carlos and jameer should be worried about the contract extension although i think we'll keep both unless otis surprises me and shows that he has some balls and makes a move to actually improve this franchise.

This cracks me up- "Jameer has done enough to prove himself". Yes he has. Laughing and joking during blowouts. Not playing defense.

I would stay away from an extension right now. Give him another year.