Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

I think the best part about this team is that we don't rely on two or three guys who NEED to go off for us to win. We have about 7 of those guys who can lead the team in points and we're unselfish enough to let guys cook who are feeling it. 

The best part of our team isn't our talent but our CULTURE. Kudos to Weltman and Mosley for that aspect of our team that they've nailed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Phil4Real said:

Sloppy beginning against Washington. They suck but there are some interesting players on that squad. I wouldn't mind having a Corey Kispert on the bench.

We have a Caleb Houstan on our bench who has a nice looking stroke. He’s also a high IQ guy and holds his own on defense. 

52 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

People can call my man Ingles old if they want, but he is balling tonight. He is one of the reasons the Magic has extended the lead early in the 4th quarter.

Go Joe,,, go Magic!

Jingles brings a calmness to the 2nd unit that we haven't had. I love when he goes to the hole. It's like slow motion but he's so crafty that somehow he gets through. 

• Upvote 2

Given limited shot creation, Orlando may not be able to withstand an injury to leading scorers Paolo Banchero or Franz Wagner (or sixth man Cole Anthony), but the team's depth has already proved important. The Magic have arguably performed better with Pacers castoff Goga Bitadze starting the past 12 games at center while averaging 12.9 points, 11.1 rebounds and 2.7 blocks per 36 minutes this season.

Even relative to other surprises, Orlando's ability to keep this up will be fascinating to see.

From Kevin Pelton this morning …not sure what this means for WCJ as many of you have alluded too 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

The best part of our team isn't our talent but our CULTURE. Kudos to Weltman and Mosley for that aspect of our team that they've nailed.

This

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, OnlyFranz said:

We have a Caleb Houstan on our bench who has a nice looking stroke. He’s also a high IQ guy and holds his own on defense. 

I included the caption/picture below in the 2022-2023 Game Thread Starter. Houston had just been drafted.

CALEB HOUSTAN IS A SLEEPER Y'ALL!!

ulst6w.png

What does it mean to be a sleeper in sports?

A sleeper is a term used to describe players who are generally undervalued but carry significant upside. In fantasy basketball, for example, a sleeper could refer to a player who is a backup but could become much more valuable if a starter is traded or injured.

40 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Given limited shot creation, Orlando may not be able to withstand an injury to leading scorers Paolo Banchero or Franz Wagner (or sixth man Cole Anthony), but the team's depth has already proved important. The Magic have arguably performed better with Pacers castoff Goga Bitadze starting the past 12 games at center while averaging 12.9 points, 11.1 rebounds and 2.7 blocks per 36 minutes this season.

Even relative to other surprises, Orlando's ability to keep this up will be fascinating to see.

From Kevin Pelton this morning …not sure what this means for WCJ as many of you have alluded too 

He would help when Isaac is out. We’ve really been resilient with these injuries. Isaac has been playing great and we still one without him also. Crazy deep team. 

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

In an earlier post I said that Goga should be our starting center. He has done a very good job helping the Magic get off to a very good start.  As I said, WCJ might be better offensively, but Goga has done a decent job overall. He has done a very good job protecting the rim. His numbers don't lie.

Of course the Magic got off to a slow start tonight, but the entire team was sluggish.

Don't mess with the chemistry.

What a weird game. Felt like we didn't really get out of second gear for a lot of it, defense wasn't great for long stretches but we did enough and pulled away behind Franz, Jalen and Cole. 

Ingles was incredible. 

My least favourite Paolo game this season. I don't mind him missing shots or turning the ball over that's part and parcel of being a high volume ball handler in the NBA. But the defensive effort was atrocious and the body language was bad. I get he was frustrated at some no calls on his drives but he can't let that affect him. 

EDIT: I somehow missed he turned an ankle so hopefully that's not serious but unless he was actively playing on that ankle I think my point still stands. 

• Upvote 1