Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

Miami just lost their sixth straight.  Atlanta is nine games under .500 and looking to blow it up.  As bad as we have been we will probably make the playin. I don’t know if we can win a game though. 

2 hours ago, ball junkie said:

And the thing is, it doesn’t have to be like this.  We could have taken a shooter with pick six in the draft this year, for example.  We just haven’t prioritized building a team with shooting, instead it’s been all about length.  

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

And the thing is, it doesn’t have to be like this.  We could have taken a shooter with pick six in the draft this year, for example.  We just haven’t prioritized building a team with shooting, instead it’s been all about length.  

"Because you can just teach shooting but you can't teach length, right?" - Jeff Weltman (probably)

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

We literally picked a shooter at 11.

Yeah but a development project, obviously not someone we expected to be able to contribute any time soon.  I mean how can you argue the fact that after however many years it is with Weltman that this team still can’t shoot?  Was that inevitable?  No.  It’s a result of choices made over that time period.  

10 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

"Because you can just teach shooting but you can't teach length, right?" - Jeff Weltman (probably)

At 11 a shooter that is not a PG and clearly not ready if Traveling is getting minutes ahead of him.

The lenght theory should possibly be a good one in today NBA. Problem is, we don't look to have a shooting coach good enough to accomplish that, as Engeland did with Kawhi for example. That's why I repeat without a pause that we still have a lot to improve, and not only inside the roster. Mosley look like he has a great connection with players and a good defensive minded system (except in recent games): what about hiring a top offensive assistant coach? (just an example, could be applied in a lot of things needed to win a title. There're a lot of contenders every season, but only 1 wins it all and it's extremely hard. You need to cover every single detail for that)

Feel like the first several years of the Weltman/Hammond era they were constantly searching for the next Giannis at all costs. Chasing a Unicorn. Now that Hammond has moved on, I think Parker has done a better job so far of focusing on team needs and less about drafting certain athletic builds.

5 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Yeah but a development project, obviously not someone we expected to be able to contribute any time soon.  I mean how can you argue the fact that after however many years it is with Weltman that this team still can’t shoot?  Was that inevitable?  No.  It’s a result of choices made over that time period.  

Jett has been down there to get in shape properly apparently. As in weight.. fitness. Jett was  a out of the blue pick for Weltman so to speak...

For the media not him

Nobody has a clue who we are picking till we pick basically. Jett is going to play very soon. Preferably now as i believe he can do no worse than Chuma etc

JETT WILL BE 1 OF THE BEST NBA SHOOTERS OF ALL TIME MARK MY WORDS.. KIDS STROKE IS IMPECCABLE AND GETS IT OFF IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE... KIDS A ABSOLUTE STAR WAITING TO BE GIVEN HIS CHANCE 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

John Hammond was here when we picked Franz Wagner over Jonathan Kuminga..

Was also here when we picked Mo Bamba ahead of Wendell, for whom we traded for later, and ahead of Shai, Bridges, Sexton, Porter Jr and a few others. In hindsight, we can play that game forever.

EDIT: sorry, I got the sense of your post later. But the point still stand somehow, even if Bamba had lenght and SHOOTING too! :D Franz is also a decent shooter, but not a great one, and at the time we probably didn't need another big... we already had the wrong Mo.