Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

Also shout out to Caleb Houstan. That guy might be a real NBA rotation player. I think we'll learn more as we get further into the season, if we get some injuries on the wing, about whether that's the case. But I'm excited to find out.

Still not even 21 and there's two things he does regularly which is not be out of position defensively and hit catch and shoot 3s on offense. If he can flash a little more (cutting? Passing? Handling? Shooting off screens maybe?) I might be ready to think of a world where we don't bring back Gary Harris this summer and promote Caleb to that bench wing role. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Also shout out to Caleb Houstan. That guy might be a real NBA rotation player. I think we'll learn more as we get further into the season, if we get some injuries on the wing, about whether that's the case. But I'm excited to find out.

Still not even 21 and there's two things he does regularly which is not be out of position defensively and hit catch and shoot 3s on offense. If he can flash a little more (cutting? Passing? Handling? Shooting off screens maybe?) I might be ready to think of a world where we don't bring back Gary Harris this summer and promote Caleb to that bench wing role. 

His shooting is incredible 

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

What a weird game. Felt like we didn't really get out of second gear for a lot of it, defense wasn't great for long stretches but we did enough and pulled away behind Franz, Jalen and Cole. 

Ingles was incredible. 

My least favourite Paolo game this season. I don't mind him missing shots or turning the ball over that's part and parcel of being a high volume ball handler in the NBA. But the defensive effort was atrocious and the body language was bad. I get he was frustrated at some no calls on his drives but he can't let that affect him. 

EDIT: I somehow missed he turned an ankle so hopefully that's not serious but unless he was actively playing on that ankle I think my point still stands. 

I thought he didn’t seem like himself. I’m not giving him an excuse but the ankle could be a factor. I’m not worried of course as he was due for a bad game after the incredible run he’s been on winning Eastern Conference Player of The Week. Franz has had several afwful games shooting the ball this year also. Now he is on fire the last few games. It’s nice to know we can win by  20 with our best player having an awful game. Soooo deep! Go Magic!

11 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

In an earlier post I said that Goga should be our starting center. He has done a very good job helping the Magic get off to a very good start.  As I said, WCJ might be better offensively, but Goga has done a decent job overall. He has done a very good job protecting the rim. His numbers don't lie.

Of course the Magic got off to a slow start tonight, but the entire team was sluggish.

Don't mess with the chemistry.

I agree with you on Goga being the starter for the season.  Goga has much better length than WCJ. Carter isn’t much taller than Paolo.  The thing about WCJ is he was our best defender last year. He’s too good to just play 15-20 minutes a night. I’m not sure how Mosley uses him now. If Isaac misses time he can get those minutes but hopefully JI stays healthy. 

Mosley has some things to think about with Fultz and Carter Jr.  We can’t mess with the chemistry this team has right now. 

• Upvote 1

How does everyone feel about getting Markelle and Wendell back?   No rush?   It would mess with chemistry?   Can only make us better?   When is the cut off point to returning them to the starting line up, even when healthy?

No need to guess. Paolo is hurt and they are going to need Wendell's size. He will be back in the line-up one of the next two games.

Markelle is a question, as always. He just needs to come back and play defense. 

Don't tell anybody but COLE is our secret weapon. It is really remarkable the type of A player that he has worked out to become, like:

Rebounding, 3PT Shot, Points in the paint, Assists, Defense doesn't hurt the team, Energy AND his best skill IMO, can play in crunch time. Clutch Player !!!

We are fortunate to have him. Selected with the 15th pick in 2020. Check out this draft....today he would be a top 5:

2020 NBA Draft

FIRST ROUND

1. Timberwolves draft Anthony Edwards

2. Warriors draft James Wiseman

3. Hornets draft LaMelo Ball

4. Bulls draft Patrick Williams

5. Cavaliers draft Isaac Okoro

6. Hawks draft Onyeka Okongwu

7. Pistons draft Killian Hayes

8. Knicks draft Obi Toppin

9. Wizards draft Deni Avdija

10. Suns draft Jalen Smith

11. Spurs draft Devin Vassell

12. Kings draft Tyrese Haliburton

13. Pelicans draft Kira Lewis Jr.

14. Celtics draft Aaron Nesmith

15. Magic draft Cole Anthony

40 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

No need to guess. Paolo is hurt and they are going to need Wendell's size. He will be back in the line-up one of the next two games.

Markelle is a question, as always. He just needs to come back and play defense. 

Wendell isn't ready to return for another week or two apparently. 

2 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Wendell isn't ready to return for another week or two apparently. 

YEAH   Thats what i heard him say, that he has done no basketball work   that its gonna be a few weeks.

I think Markelle walks back into the starting line up, if the win streak is broken and if he is healthy soon,

like before Christmas

1 hour ago, Albert Lergier said:

Don't tell anybody but COLE is our secret weapon. It is really remarkable the type of A player that he has worked out to become, like:

Rebounding, 3PT Shot, Points in the paint, Assists, Defense doesn't hurt the team, Energy AND his best skill IMO, can play in crunch time. Clutch Player !!!

We are fortunate to have him. Selected with the 15th pick in 2020. Check out this draft....today he would be a top 5:

2020 NBA Draft

FIRST ROUND

1. Timberwolves draft Anthony Edwards

2. Warriors draft James Wiseman

3. Hornets draft LaMelo Ball

4. Bulls draft Patrick Williams

5. Cavaliers draft Isaac Okoro

6. Hawks draft Onyeka Okongwu

7. Pistons draft Killian Hayes

8. Knicks draft Obi Toppin

9. Wizards draft Deni Avdija

10. Suns draft Jalen Smith

11. Spurs draft Devin Vassell

12. Kings draft Tyrese Haliburton

13. Pelicans draft Kira Lewis Jr.

14. Celtics draft Aaron Nesmith

15. Magic draft Cole Anthony

looking back, drafting at 15 i wanted Maxey.. I was hoping for Maxey all time.. Then on draft day, Cole Anthony slipped and i was yelling Cole, Cole, Cole…

I compared him to Kemba Walker back then lol.Always got to reach for the big names.. 

We desperately needed a PG back then so the choice was clear.. But looking back it would be a tough question honestly who the Magic would draft. 

Cole or Maxey? 

Although Maxey is the better player, i’d probably keep Anthony. He’s kind of a big part of our special chemistry in the locker room. Especially since he adjusted and embraces his role

IMO Cole should be a consideration for both 6th man and most improved. He really has blossomed into a great player and his defensive effort is to be commended! He's my room-mate's favorite player. She nicknamed him "aerodynamic" because of the way he glides between players and soars to the rim.

• Upvote 1