Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

Zach LaVine showed us what a go to guy at guard can bring. Shot the Bulls back into the game. Love to see Paolo close it out though, amazing moment. Once the Magic get their guy at SG this team will really be cooking. Suggs is great, but looks like a 6th man to me.

Back in the day everybody lived and breathed with everything he said …not that I agree with everything he says but in this instance I do

I know this is just the way it is, but I’m over every single decent player that gets put on the trade block having “best odds” to go to LA, Miami, Philly and Boston. No wonder our rebuild has taken so long. The NBA FA and landscape is broken and small market teams only chance is to build organically.

4. Paolo Banchero's bad pass turnovers

The Magic are 6-5 behind the league's No. 3 defense, with size, speed and tenacity at every position. Jonathan Isaac -- he exists! -- is reasserting himself as an all-court dementor. (He's also shooting 32% with an uncertain handle, and his offense will dictate whether Orlando coach Jamahl Mosley feels comfortable deploying Isaac in more lineups alongside Orlando's starters.)

The statistical fundamentals are mostly solid. If Orlando can sniff league average on offense, it will (at least) hang in the play-in race.

Alas, the Magic are down to 26th in points per possession. They have ranked 20th or worse in 11 straight seasons. It is hard to be this bad at offense for this long.

Shockingly, their offense has been at its worst with both Banchero and Franz Wagner on the floor. In their shared minutes, the Magic have scored an unthinkable 97 points per 100 possessions -- seven points below Portland's 30th-ranked offense.

That is somewhat fluky. Orlando is a bricky jump-shooting team, but it has been almost implausibly icy in the Banchero-Wagner minutes: 30% on both 3s and midrangers. Banchero and Wagner are culprits. Both guys are experiencing the growing pains of being asked to do more against defenses focused on them.

The Magic are leaning into Banchero's playmaking. He's averaging 5.2 assists, up from 3.7 last year, but his turnovers have jumped in almost the same proportion.

He has had issues reading layers of help defense tilted toward him:

Banchero is trying passes that aren't there -- either failing to anticipate how defenses will rotate or underestimating how much ground they can cover.

This is all normal. I am already on record predicting at least one of Banchero and Wagner makes his first All-Star team by the 2025 edition. The Magic have to lean hard on both because their guards are the weakest part of their offense. (Jalen Suggs does so much so well, but he's still shooting 39% overall and 33% on 3s. He always appears so close to turning that corner.) It's easier for defenses to load toward Banchero when they aren't worried about any of Orlando's shooters.

But the Magic would love to break their four-year playoff drought, and the margin for error is slim.

Zack Lowe today talking about the Magic 

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Latest Zach Lowe podcast from a couple days ago they briefly discuss us as an interesting team for Lavine and then there's rookie discussion and there's a few mins on Anthony Black and us as a team near the end. 

That was a great listen.  They talk a lot about The Magic and both are huge fans of what we are becoming.  

59 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

We need to make Mac Mclung a permanent contract asap! Kid is without a doubt a nba player and he is a sniper

He's a 6'2 guard with short arms. He'd have to be an elite elite shooter to get meaningful minutes in an NBA game. We already can't get minutes for our lottery pick. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2023 at 9:23 AM, ball junkie said:

Zach LaVine showed us what a go to guy at guard can bring. Shot the Bulls back into the game. Love to see Paolo close it out though, amazing moment. Once the Magic get their guy at SG this team will really be cooking. Suggs is great, but looks like a 6th man to me.

Back in the day everybody lived and breathed with everything he said …not that I agree with everything he says but in this instance I do

What do you think of Lavine after last night?  I think if we had him and kept Fultz, Suggs, and Black to cover up for him defensively it could work. He also operates so much on the outside it might help Franz and Paolo’s games. I’ve been thinking about your Lowe comment.  

3 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

What do you think of Lavine after last night?  I think if we had him and kept Fultz, Suggs, and Black to cover up for him defensively it could work. He also operates so much on the outside it might help Franz and Paolo’s games. I’ve been thinking about your Lowe comment.  

Yeah Lowe knows more than me lol …SG is our weak spot …Lavine was certainly hitting a number of clutch jumpers …you guys know more than me with all your trade ideas lol …but man Lowe was spot on again last night with our offensive numbers when Banchero and Franz are on the court at the same time …that’s when the Bulls made their run and got back in the game …on the game thread I was begging Moseley to make lineup changes …and he did and we promptly made our own run …crazy stat but Lowe is pretty astute .

53 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Yeah Lowe knows more than me lol …SG is our weak spot …Lavine was certainly hitting a number of clutch jumpers …you guys know more than me with all your trade ideas lol …but man Lowe was spot on again last night with our offensive numbers when Banchero and Franz are on the court at the same time …that’s when the Bulls made their run and got back in the game …on the game thread I was begging Moseley to make lineup changes …and he did and we promptly made our own run …crazy stat but Lowe is pretty astute .

bottom line is that Mosley is a great defensive minded players coach. He’s the perfect fit for this team. But he can’t draw up plays. He just can’t. And apparently he ain’t getting a X and O assistant coach to help him. 

So that said, Lavine is one of a few perfect fits for us. I believe he’d buy in to play solid D and on offense he’d open a lid for us. 

Banchero and Franz need help, especially with Fultz injured. Also Lavine likes to play off ball too. He was insane when Lonzo Ball was handling the ball. Imagine what Fultz would do for him.  Lavine is not a playmaker or passer by any means. But our starters already feature 3 players that can playmake. We just need that star SG that can go crazy. 

The Bulls ain’t getting too many first round picks for Lavine. Our team is loaded with young players. So i don’t mind using picks to get a star player that would solidify our starters. So we trade this years pick top 8-10 protected (who is going to seriously elevate us outside the top 10?)  and also the Denver pick can be used. 

Lavine is a no go for me. He is selfish and disappears too many nights. We need another player who Franz and Paolo can rely on in the starting lineup. This will allow them to not play hero ball so much at the end. Isaac at starting center can be a solution to this problem until we get the shooting guard we desperately need or until Wendell comes back. 

and once again the Magic play another year without any knockdown shooters. And don’t come at me with old man Ingles. Lol. play Jett or Queen, try something different Mosely!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Lavine is a no go for me. He is selfish and disappears too many nights. We need another player who Franz and Paolo can rely on in the starting lineup. This will allow them to not play hero ball so much at the end. Isaac at starting center can be a solution to this problem until we get the shooting guard we desperately need or until Wendell comes back. 

Agree on Lavine