Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

45 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I think this is another case of recency bias. There’s plenty of proof of us being aggressive in the past when the need arose and we were ready to contend. Horace Grant, Rashard Lewis, Steve Francis, Gilbert Arenas, Serge Ibaka, Bismack Biyombo some of these worked, some of these backfired hard. Rob Hennigan did some irreparable damage to our fanbase.

My opinion is we’re ready for a 3rd star and we have the assets to acquire one. Just who’s available? And does Dejounte Murray now outweigh a potentially better option in the near future? I think playoff experience would be tremendous for this team, and I don’t think we are good enough right now to make a playoff run, but I also don’t want to sacrifice our whole load of assets unless it’s someone great who will be here for a long time. I want a small move, low risk rental like Hield as the most practical move this year so we can stay flexible going forward.

I’m talking Weltham era…I don’t care about what other fo have done.

14 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Paolo, Franz, Suggs

Paolo, Franz, AB, Suggs, JI, WCJ. 

That’s the untouchable list imo for a player like Murray. If we talking Simons i’d scratch JI from the list.. 

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Curious: What players would be untouchable in a deal for Murray for you guys?

Below is my untouchable list in order of how untouchable:

Paolo, Franz, Suggs, Moe, Joe, JI 

5 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I feel like this is recency bias. Think back to deadline day 3 years ago when Weltman and Hammond blew up our entire core. I’m going off (maybe blind) hope that he does seem to have a track record of making a move when a move needs to be made.

Every month they waited was a month too much. That move was necessary a lot of time before.

"It is a challenge for everybody," Banchero said after practice Wednesday. "You've got moving pieces. Guys in and guys out. But that's the NBA. That's what we have to deal with as a team. Everyone is ready to step in. Whatever is needed, they are willing to do. You have to look at it through a lens of before the All-Star Break, there is still a lot of time left to get back everyone healthy and really make a run. We want everyone to get as healthy as they can and hopefully we can have some consistency later on."

That is what the Magic hope to see. They hope to see some consistency in their lineups and see players stick in the rotation a bit longer. They want to get back to their more regular playing groups.

Orlando is not looking past any teams on the schedule, but the team knows that it is coming to an easier part of the schedule. The Magic have the easiest schedule in the league by opponent win percentage. There are wins on the schedule.

That might be why there is less concern about where the Orlando Magic are in the standings -- 2.5 games ahead of the Chicago Bulls for eighth and one game back of the Indiana Pacers for seventh and 1.5 games behind the Miami Heat for sixth entering Wednesday's game. The Magic still feel like they can get themselves right and push up the standings.

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/posts/orlando-magic-hope-health-can-build-continuity-missed

55 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

"It is a challenge for everybody," Banchero said after practice Wednesday. "You've got moving pieces. Guys in and guys out. But that's the NBA. That's what we have to deal with as a team. Everyone is ready to step in. Whatever is needed, they are willing to do. You have to look at it through a lens of before the All-Star Break, there is still a lot of time left to get back everyone healthy and really make a run. We want everyone to get as healthy as they can and hopefully we can have some consistency later on."

That is what the Magic hope to see. They hope to see some consistency in their lineups and see players stick in the rotation a bit longer. They want to get back to their more regular playing groups.

Orlando is not looking past any teams on the schedule, but the team knows that it is coming to an easier part of the schedule. The Magic have the easiest schedule in the league by opponent win percentage. There are wins on the schedule.

That might be why there is less concern about where the Orlando Magic are in the standings -- 2.5 games ahead of the Chicago Bulls for eighth and one game back of the Indiana Pacers for seventh and 1.5 games behind the Miami Heat for sixth entering Wednesday's game. The Magic still feel like they can get themselves right and push up the standings.

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/posts/orlando-magic-hope-health-can-build-continuity-missed

It’s very likely right regarding the easy schedule and making up ground in the standings.  Ultimately, though, while beating bad teams may help you reach the playoffs, it probably doesn’t help you win games against the better teams you’ll face in the playoffs.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

It’s very likely right regarding the easy schedule and making up ground in the standings.  Ultimately, though, while beating bad teams may help you reach the playoffs, it probably doesn’t help you win games against the better teams you’ll face in the playoffs.  

I’ll repeat …nobody knows how this team will do in the playoffs …cause they’ve never been …except Joe Ingles …team is so young …the playoff experience will be so invaluable to this current roster …and even if they get swept …that would be no different than what Shaq and his team did their first playoff run …This current roster plays defense at a high level …and especially when JI is on the court …in the playoffs when the game slows to a half court game I think they’d fair pretty well …can’t wait to find out .

• Like 2

I know that the smart thing is to make trades and get a point guard. But I agree with Junkie     These guys should see this through and see whats what.   I know that means we may lose Markelle and gary for nothing.   I dont think i care.     Play it out. see if Markelle will come off the bench (yes, i have accepted that he is not a starter)   if not, let him go.

I know that this does not make the most "buisness" sense    But, i work in entertainment as a lighting designer.   My buisness, and this, is not just about the bottom line    It's about trust, loyalty and seeing a project through.  Lets see this through.  Then see where we go

57 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

I’ll repeat …nobody knows how this team will do in the playoffs …cause they’ve never been …except Joe Ingles …team is so young …the playoff experience will be so invaluable to this current roster …and even if they get swept …that would be no different than what Shaq and his team did their first playoff run …This current roster plays defense at a high level …and especially when JI is on the court …in the playoffs when the game slows to a half court game I think they’d fair pretty well …can’t wait to find out .

Serious question, if we max out as a team that finishes in the 7-10 slots and loses the play-in game or games, would you consider that a successful season?