Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

A couple of kind of boring trades that I think would help: 

Chuma Okeke to Boston for a 2nd 

Rationale for this: Boston has an open roster spot and a TPE big enough to make this happen. They don't have a lot of salary they'd be willing to trade. This is kind of a fringe move that gives them another big forward in a pinch in the playoffs. I think Chuma has shown some stuff recently that could be desirable as an end of the bench role player type on a contender but it seems unlikely we're bringing him back in the summer so we get something for him now. We also get the roster spot to make the below trade. Regardless of anything else I think this deal could actually happen if Boston can't find a better guy for a similar offer.

Markelle Fultz to San Antonio with the 2nd from the above Boston trade (and possibly another 2nd) for Doug McDermott and Cedi Osman. 

Rationale: San Antonio are actually one of the few rosters where Markelle might actually get some burn as a PG playing with Wemby. We get two forward shooters on expiring contracts that help with the playoff push and we could probably resign one or both of them in the summer if we wanted to. 

If you wanted to you could still do Gary Harris and stuff for a PG like Tyus Jones. My ideal would actually be Gary Harris + DEN pick for Dennis Schroeder but I don't think Toronto would do that. 

EDIT: Markelle has played exactly 1 good game and now I want to say I'd only do that Spurs trade if they sent us picks. I am so fickle. 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's realistically the only time to sell Markelle specifically. He's expiring. Had this season gone differently we might have been talking about a Markelle extension but that seems very unlikely now so it's either trade him or just let him expire. 

If you look at the future, sure. :)

He wasn't a perfect fit with the rest of the core, and that should have made think the FO in the past. They also have more medical info that us. Except missing the first month or so, last season was pretty solid for Markelle, at the point that a lot of us was still considering him as core. Last offseason was probably the best momento to sell high with him, right now it's just an expiring as mentioned. That's the pro-active thing I always point out about the FO, but yes, it's surely easier to judge later. I would not be surprised if they don't trade him and than resign in the summer either!

23 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

last season was pretty solid for Markelle, at the point that a lot of us was still considering him as core

24 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

Last offseason was probably the best momento to sell high

Why would we "sell high" on someone we considered part of the core? 

30 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

Looks better than our dribble dribble dribble shoot offense

LOL.  Ya think?   Your description of our offense was the best I’ve seen in awhile.  I might add make a couple of passes back and forth outside three point range before the dribble dribble dribble shoot part.  LOL.  

41 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

LOL.  Ya think?   Your description of our offense was the best I’ve seen in awhile.  I might add make a couple of passes back and forth outside three point range before the dribble dribble dribble shoot part.  LOL.  

Yeah we do those passes for some type of distraction. lol.. 

But right now it looks like we get distracted mostly. We have a couple of observers on offense that tend to get distracted when the ball is directed to them. 
Especially with our starting unit, we have  4 guys ball watching Paolo and in emergency cases we have Suggs getting hyper excited with the ball in his hands lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, orlandoholic said:

Looks better than our dribble dribble dribble shoot offense

This an example of how bad Mosely is as a coach. Had to say it. Our ball and player movement is pathetic on most nights. 

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

This an example of how bad Mosely is as a coach. Had to say it. Our ball and player movement is pathetic on most nights. 

i disagree. Mosley is a great coach. But he needs an OC for sure. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

i disagree. Mosley is a great coach. But he needs an OC for sure. 

Agreed, not sure about the great part but he is definitely very good at getting the most out of players. A good OC would be huge. 

https://www.blazersedge.com/2024/1/15/24039278/nba-trade-deadline-rumors-portland-trail-blazers-malcolm-brogdon-lakers-heat-magic-wizards-grant

There is every indication last season’s Sixth Man of the Year can go out and help teams that need backcourt help — especially those seeking real offensive punch.

Brogdon’s contract isn’t for an overly aggressive amount if he continues to produce as a bigger lead guard. Teams like the Lakers and Magic, who could use a bit of shooting and backcourt punch, make a ton of sense for Brogdon if they don’t want to shell out premium assets for other players.

Brogdon’s injury history is worth considering, as he hasn’t played more than 67 games since his rookie season in 2016-17. That’ll probably keep his price point to something in the ballpark of a late first-round pick.

Sam Vecenie …pretty knowledgeable dude 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

https://www.blazersedge.com/2024/1/15/24039278/nba-trade-deadline-rumors-portland-trail-blazers-malcolm-brogdon-lakers-heat-magic-wizards-grant

There is every indication last season’s Sixth Man of the Year can go out and help teams that need backcourt help — especially those seeking real offensive punch.

Brogdon’s contract isn’t for an overly aggressive amount if he continues to produce as a bigger lead guard. Teams like the Lakers and Magic, who could use a bit of shooting and backcourt punch, make a ton of sense for Brogdon if they don’t want to shell out premium assets for other players.

Brogdon’s injury history is worth considering, as he hasn’t played more than 67 games since his rookie season in 2016-17. That’ll probably keep his price point to something in the ballpark of a late first-round pick.

Sam Vecenie …pretty knowledgeable dude 

If that the price I’d do it. It’s low risk and it won’t cost much.