Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

This is an incredibly simplistic way to look at it.

Good 3P% doesn't equal good shooter. PJ Tucker has a better career 3P% than Luka Doncic. Who would you rather leave open?

Rashard Lewis if he was open he was shooting it. At his peak he was taking 10 3s per 100 possessions, and that was in a much different league with less emphasis on offensive spacing. (Would still be in the top 20%ish of the league in 23-24)

Paolo is open on the perimeter a lot and doesn't shoot it and he takes less than 5 3s per 100 possessions. If you don't shoot it when you're being sagged off of then why should the defense close out? And if the defense doesn't close out that means they're inside the arc clogging driving lanes for you and for others. 

If Paolo is consistent with taking jumpers when open he'll be fine even if he drops into the mid 30%s range. 

I was trying to be simplistic. Obviously he isn’t the shooter Lewis is or will he ever be. I am just really happy our rookie of the year is shooting 40% and leading the team in percentage. That’s a really good thing and goes against the narrative of him as a bad shooter. If he didn’t have the one bad month last year when he was hurt, he would be at least be an average career 3 point shooter already.  I don’t want him shooting ten threes a game as it not his skill set. I love his free throw rate. It will be useful though if he keeps hitting it consistently to keep the defenses honest.  I don’t see teams sagging off him like Fultz for example even now. Franz is currently shooting it like Paolo did last year (30.6%). He has a nice stroke though. If anything I thought he would be the one with the 40% three point shot this season. It’s early and I’m sure he will get it up higher by seasons end. If both stars can be average shooters that helps our offense quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

If Chicago blow it up we should look at Jevon Carter. Guy is a great shooter, is on a cheap contract and would probably not cost too much.

YES!!!!

5 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

YES!!!!

not the player we need.. Kevon Harris is pretty similar player if we wanted that skill set.. 

We ain’t running X and Os too much. We need a Guard who can get his own. Simons would be the best fit out of all. But i doubt he is available 

51 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

not the player we need.. Kevon Harris is pretty similar player if we wanted that skill set.. 

We ain’t running X and Os too much. We need a Guard who can get his own. Simons would be the best fit out of all. But i doubt he is available 

Kevon Harris is nothing like Jevon Carter. 

We have guys who can get their own. We need people who can space the floor to make it easier for those guys.

Just now, CTMagicUK said:

Kevon Harris is nothing like Jevon Carter. 

We have guys who can get their own. We need people who can space the floor to make it easier for those guys.

I like as a role player as well. 

On 11/14/2023 at 3:00 PM, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah, $40 mill a year for 4 more years is a tough pill to swallow. I was fiddling with the trade machine and something like Fultz, Harris, Chuma would work salary-wise and we’d undoubtedly have to throw in picks on top of that. Appeal to the Bulls would be all 3 of those guys they’d get back from us are expiring

Just listened to Windhorst and Mark’s recent pod on The Bulls. They think Lavine will cost less than Caruso. Mostly due to Lavine’s contract. I think after listening to their pod your trade would work and it wouldn’t cost much as far as draft picks.  They compared the situation to Bradley Beal. It’s the 40 million a year and 170 million total that is scary.

Might be worth waiting on someone else. I still keep eying Mitchell in Cleveland. Probably a pipe dream though. 

Ingles and Harris are our off the bench guys who can hit a 3. We need one more consistent starter who can not turn over the ball and hit a 3. Suggs and Cole, i am afraid to say, still look like very good bench players then starters right now. Sorry i said it. Both are good at one or two things but not great at leading an offense or handling the ball yet.

We need a vet ball handler or we need to get Markelle next to Harris to start games.

The NBA acknowledged Thursday in its Last Two Minute Report for the game that Banchero was guilty of a traveling violation after receiving the inbound pass. Bulls guard Alex Caruso appeared to gesture as much toward the officials as it happened.

"He made a tough shot. The ball bounced like four times on the rim and went in," Caruso told reporters after the game. "Without saying too much, we'll look at the Two Minute Report and see what happened with the foot movement for Paolo. Overall, I tried to make it tough on him."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10097669-nba-l2m-report-magics-paolo-banchero-traveled-before-game-winning-shot-vs-bulls

https://x.com/BleacherReport/status/1724995150966063571?s=20

Wow I just watched the replay he did travel …I never noticed 

10 hours ago, ball junkie said:

The NBA acknowledged Thursday in its Last Two Minute Report for the game that Banchero was guilty of a traveling violation after receiving the inbound pass. Bulls guard Alex Caruso appeared to gesture as much toward the officials as it happened.

"He made a tough shot. The ball bounced like four times on the rim and went in," Caruso told reporters after the game. "Without saying too much, we'll look at the Two Minute Report and see what happened with the foot movement for Paolo. Overall, I tried to make it tough on him."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10097669-nba-l2m-report-magics-paolo-banchero-traveled-before-game-winning-shot-vs-bulls

https://x.com/BleacherReport/status/1724995150966063571?s=20

Wow I just watched the replay he did travel …I never noticed 

I noticed the travel. But this is BS. NBA players travel like crazy ALL the time. Shoot, Lebron travels so much and nobody cares. 

Caruso had multiple fouls on Banchero and others that weren’t called that game. 

This two minute report by the NBA is an absolute joke. 

They need to stop WWE type basketball and start playing real basketball. 

i don’t care about Lavines contract.. I don’t view him as a cornerstone of this franchise. He’d be here for a massive need and upgrade for like 3 years. Mitchell ain’t staying long term in Cleveland either. But he made the whole team better. 

With Lavine, it would take so much attention of Franz and Paolo. We have the right players coach for him as well, as Lavine has only experienced terrible hard nosed coaches in his career.. 

So if we can get him for a low blow offer, why not. 

G. Harris, Ingles, Okeke and maximum a Top 10 protected pick. if we had to add Jett Howard, so be it.. 

in three years we trade him away again

Latest Zach Lowe podcast from a couple days ago they briefly discuss us as an interesting team for Lavine and then there's rookie discussion and there's a few mins on Anthony Black and us as a team near the end. 

On 11/15/2023 at 7:56 PM, MagicMan1979 said:

So just for kicks I wrote down all of the guys that have started 3 point percentages.

Franz 32.8

Markelle 0

Black 38.5

Paolo 38.7

Carter Jr 31.3

Suggs 34.1

Goga 0

So Goga and Markelle haven’t hit a 3 pointer all year.  Black and Paolo are the only ones above average from three so far.  Paolo is leading the team in 3 point percentage after last night.  I do think that Franz will start hitting his three again soon.  This really show that we need some shooting though.  Last night was better for three quarters but still……yikes.

Even if not starting, Harris is shooting 47,6% and is by far our best shooter, like it was last season. Coach has to find a way to use him better and open the floor more for the other guys. Having both him and Ingles in the second unit doesn't make a lot of sense, when the starting lineup is desperately lacking outside shooting.