Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

19 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Since the best teams are most likely to win, why would you want to give them extra chances in the draft lottery?  Or am I missing something?

I’m not saying that they would propel a playoff team into the top 4 or anything. Yeah generally the best teams will win and the amount of odds they get will be slim and won’t affect anything. There would probably have to be a clause that unless you actually win, you keep your regular draft slot.

But the one time it does happen will make everyone freak out and start to take it seriously. I guess it depends on how serious the NBA is about making the tournament a thing. It needs to have some kind of stakes if we want teams to engage with it. Plus we already know the league wants to curtail tanking and I think this would help

Early in this season it feels like teams are beating and being beaten by everybody. We blew out the Rockets and now they've got a winning record. The Blazers have had some wins since we beat them. The Raptors just beat Dallas.

This early in the season these games don't make or break the year. But what you learn from them and how you respond to them can. A 6 or 7 game win streak, basically 2 weeks of consistency, could be the difference between a 6th seed and the 10th seed (and a losing streak can have the exact opposite effect). Playoffs or play ins. I still think we can be an automatic playoff team, we're 4-3 and we've had 2 great Paolo games and really no great Franz games and the only person on our team who could be considered on a hot streak is Cole. If guys get going and we've learnt lessons from some of these early losses we'll be fine. 

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Early in this season it feels like teams are beating and being beaten by everybody. We blew out the Rockets and now they've got a winning record. The Blazers have had some wins since we beat them. The Raptors just beat Dallas.

This early in the season these games don't make or break the year. But what you learn from them and how you respond to them can. A 6 or 7 game win streak, basically 2 weeks of consistency, could be the difference between a 6th seed and the 10th seed (and a losing streak can have the exact opposite effect). Playoffs or play ins. I still think we can be an automatic playoff team, we're 4-3 and we've had 2 great Paolo games and really no great Franz games and the only person on our team who could be considered on a hot streak is Cole. If guys get going and we've learnt lessons from some of these early losses we'll be fine. 

You could say something similar about any other NBA team also, though.  Yes, if our players learn and get better and string together some wins we’ll be looking pretty good.  

I love the idea of the tournament and the games are part of the regular season so it's not like it's getting in the way of anything.

When Seattle and Vegas get teams I would like to see it go to single elimination while eliminating the group stage. 32 teams

On 11/7/2023 at 11:15 AM, Jason Funderburker said:

Plus we already know the league wants to curtail tanking and I think this would help

Easy solution. All the teams that don't make the playoffs get the same lottery odds. Problem solved. Also if you win the lottery one year, you get the 1st pick after all the non playoff teams the next year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm sure there are many in here, but after being a part of the Facebook Magic groups, I feel like most of the people in the groups aren't really fans. There's so much negative in there, people acting like they can run the team better, or coach better than the people who are part of the team. It's annoying. Anyone else?

I'm sure there are many in here, but after being a part of the Facebook Magic groups, I feel like most of the people in the groups aren't really fans. There's so much negative in there, people acting like they can run the team better, or coach better than the people who are part of the team. It's annoying. Anyone else?

1 hour ago, Sumike4ya said:

You are correct, fan sites, even here, can get very negative very quickly.    But I feel at least on this site, it comes from years of seeing us take a step forward (like the combo of Franz and Paolo last year ) and then seeing us regress. ( Franz and Paolo slipping back and poor rotation decisions.)   I know, for myself, even when criticizing, i try to have a positive slant     But the fan base wants to win.  We have waited a long time.  And it is hard not to let frustration show sometimes.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sumike4ya said:

A lot of people who watch basketball don't even understand what they're watching. That's the truth. So they have terrible nonsensical takes or they just repeat the takes that commentators and analysts give and the NBA has basically the worst mainstream media of any sport when it comes to actual analysis of the game. 

And some people don't even watch the games. They just watch the highlights and the box score and think they're qualified to understand what actually happened. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sumike4ya said:

Oh yeah, social media thrives off hot takes and instant gratification. This is the only Magic board I’m a part of because most of the posters here are lifelong fans that have seen it all. 

Joe Ingles looks every bit like a guy at the end of his career coming off a major injury. He seems great for the locker room and chemistry, but the sooner one of the kids can supplant him in the rotation the better. With GH being out I think Anthony Black has taken advantage and earned minutes even when Harris returns. Wouldn’t surprise me if Black got the Ingles minutes if Joe keeps struggling

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Joe Ingles looks every bit like a guy at the end of his career coming off a major injury. He seems great for the locker room and chemistry, but the sooner one of the kids can supplant him in the rotation the better. With GH being out I think Anthony Black has taken advantage and earned minutes even when Harris returns. Wouldn’t surprise me if Black got the Ingles minutes if Joe keeps struggling

I still think Joe's very presence juices the offense. Of the players who have played in all 8 games he's got the best net rating on the team. 

It remains to be seen whether that's specifically a Joe Ingles thing or if you'd see the same results by replacing him with a different shooter of that calibre I suppose.