Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2023 NBA Summer League Watch Thread

Didn't see either game,just the highlights. I used to love summer league but i agree with you guys, i just do not understand our approach. 

Meanwhile i am here in Denver and i have seen all three rookies they drafted hanging around the arena all week. 

I get it, they are tapped out with money and hope one if not all 3 develop into a few bench guys. But if the champs have the means to develop second rounders why can't we?

I agree with all the concerns in the last few posts. Another things that we could improve. Like I've wrote a few times, if you want to be a contender and win it all someday, you need to be great in a lot of aspects, and FO sometimes seem to be content to be just good enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DestroidMengars said:

There seems to be a lot of backlash due to the team not playing Kai Sotto. I could care less, personally. 

The last social media post I saw on the Magic's page was 100 comments of #PlayKaiSotto. Why we would sign him, highlight him on social media for all his rabid followers to see, and then NEVER play him even in garage time? I have to believe the guy must have a terrible attitude or something because there's no way we don't just strategically throw him out there at this point. 

14 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Banchero with his hands on Fultz shoulders …two former number 1 picks .

And I’m gonna say it …If JI stays healthy and plays a lot this team will make a major jump in the Eastern Conference standings 

JI looks long.....well he really is. Got to give us a healthy year....difference maker !!!!

• Like 1

Sam Vecenie said he spoke to an scout in Vegas and the scout told him Anthony Black performance in the second half of the Pistons game was "the best performance he seen in SL".

It's around the 15:35 mark. He also mention some good things about Jett, too.

13 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I’ll be honest, I’m not impressed with our team's approach to summer league. To throw a bunch of scrubs out there with our rooks and expect something meaningful to develop is foolish thinking. Last night was barely watchable. Yes, AB and Howard flashed, but the overall game was a mess. Bad shots, bad passes, bad defensive rotations, etc. Why not play a few guys who know our system (Harris, Houston and Schofield) with the rooks? Raw players playing with raw players will create raw results.

Lol... yeah, that was pretty tough to watch... 

I can't figure out what the goal is for the summer league...obviously winning isn't the agenda... we looked like the old 2000 summer league teams where everybody who touched the ball immediately took a shot ... regardless of shot clock or rebounding positioning... I saw some streaks where AB looked like he could get his shot anytime and he passed well... Howard looked disengaged without the ball... but with everyone else jacking up horrible shots... I could easily see why... Howard seemed to get involved in short spurts and pass /create shots well for others... and he made a couple shots... he does have a quick release...and when he made shots he seemed to engage on D for a few plays after...

I agree with you... I can't identify any plays being run ... and the ball movement was relegated to AB creating an immediate shot for the first guy to touch it after him...I can't figure out what the goal is... other than "just let em play!!!"

There wasn't even a lot of pick and roll happening... lots of TOs, though...

IDK... maybe Houstan will get picked up by someone because of this...probably not us, though...

I read an article where Dylan Murphy said "everyone will get a chance to play" when referring to Sotto...maybe they do have line ups in mind ... or situations they are trying to create to see how players react...just we can't pick them out through the apparent randomness...IDK...maybe they want to get young guys out there and comfortable and take away pressure and then play line ups... 

But I agree with you it would be nice to see smaller rotations and more play calling... maybe see if AB can control a game... maybe we will look different in the next game.

10 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Welcome to the Shaedon Sharpe fan club everybody. Lolololololol

He played well …and that was after a subpar performance the previous game …didn’t let a poor performance have after effects …got to the free throw line 11 times …just turned 20 last month …no college experience …showing signs of a very high ceiling .

• Downvote 1

I'll agree I wish we had taken Sharpe in some way. Has all the upside to he exactly the type of guard we need, and he kept feeling like a strong option. Good call, junkie, but let's remember this is a MAGIC forum. Lol

• Like 1