Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2023 NBA Draft Day Thread

29 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Lol ok dude.

Let's all pretend that people are making this comparison for any other reason than the hair. 

How about the shooting?

I’m not excited by this draft but not depressed either.  Basic reaction is “meh”.  Will have to see how it plays out, which will take another 10 months at a minimum. 

Some of the hype does seem over the top, though.  Almost like people trying to convince themselves we had a great draft.  

28 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Lol ok dude.

Let's all pretend that people are making this comparison for any other reason than the hair. 

i know, people just compare the hair which is crazy.. EP was a terrible defender, he was actually nowhere near the bball iq that Black has shown.. 

Ant Black took over heavy duties in that Arkansas lineup which was poised to let Nick Smith shine and score like crazy. 

What happened was that Nick Smith got hurt and Black made everybody around him look like first round talent. Council, Walsh, Brazile all got hype. He was setting them up like crazy. 

Then injuries started to hit that team and Black kinda went under the radar. Especially when Smith came back and tried to get his.

Black was a great pick for us in all honesty. I’m still confused what happened to Cam. I would have been mad if Cam fell to the Wizards and they would have drafted his upside. But they passed and a whole lot of teams passed on Cam. 

So there must be some truth to the falling

41 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Lol ok dude.

Come on, CT. You and I both know the similarities are there, and it's not just the hair.

High BBIQ, really good defender, great motor, great vision, good finisher, big and long for a PG... and can't shoot and there are red flags if he will ever be able to fix it...

If he had normal hair, I'd still have concerns. It just happens that the hair comparisons could be the same which throws the comparison to an even eerily higher degree.

• Upvote 1

Every season I convince myself to wait until 3:30AM, and every season I regret it as nothing really big happens, especially cause I admittedly don't know anything about college players, so it's hard to be happy, excited or depressed by the choices.

Has been a different draft for us than in the past IMO, Black was actually the guy that every mock in the first post of that thread assigned to us, so it was not the usual "surprise" pick by the FO. I will gladly take passing, high IQ and def in every team I root, but the lack of shooting could hinder the passing ability, if defenses are always collapsing on us. But I saw backup PG as a need last season (I didn't really consider Cole a PG, more an undersized SG that could actually work well with Black), and a PG with size will surely help all the rest of the lineup. So I'm OK with that choice.

The 11th pick was definitely a Weltham surprise, even with the Juwan and Michigan connection. I'm not against it either, but like I've criticized a lot of times in the past... why don't be a little more proactive? Howard was mocked over 20 or 25 by most, why don't trade back to the 16/20 range and get an asset for him? 11 was surely a position that other FO's were interested into. The second round trade was a sure thing. LOL

Overall, no big news there, no trades and two rookies added is maybe the biggest surprise, as there was a legitimate point about being too young and with too much depth and not enough minutes. BUT.. those are the minutes played by fringe rotation guys last season:

Bol     1505
Okeke    518
Schofield    451
K. Harris    457

(Mo 1109, but mostly at C)

Without lack of respect for any of them,  it's not like we were stacked: those minutes could be very well available. Each player will have to learn playing time, and that's good for internal competition. Even the 812 minutes that Houstan played could be up for grab. Rookies has to earn even more, it's not like they're surely immediately better of, let's say, Cole or Suggs.

12 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

How about the shooting?

There have been literally hundreds of guys who weren't great shooters entering the league. Do we compare all of them to Elfrid Payton? 

4 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

There have been literally hundreds of guys who weren't great shooters entering the league. Do we compare all of them to Elfrid Payton? 

No, just the big guards known for defense, playmaking, etc. This teams glaring weakness for over a decade has been shooting, so you can/should understand why people are concerned about it.  

I was responding to your post stating the the only reason for the EP comparison was the hair.  So I mentioned shooting.  

14 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

i know, people just compare the hair which is crazy.. EP was a terrible defender, he was actually nowhere near the bball iq that Black has shown.. 

Ant Black took over heavy duties in that Arkansas lineup which was poised to let Nick Smith shine and score like crazy. 

What happened was that Nick Smith got hurt and Black made everybody around him look like first round talent. Council, Walsh, Brazile all got hype. He was setting them up like crazy. 

Then injuries started to hit that team and Black kinda went under the radar. Especially when Smith came back and tried to get his.

Black was a great pick for us in all honesty. I’m still confused what happened to Cam. I would have been mad if Cam fell to the Wizards and they would have drafted his upside. But they passed and a whole lot of teams passed on Cam. 

So there must be some truth to the falling

EP was a great one on one defender as he routinely averaged 1.5+ steals per game and about half a block per game. 

Payton also had a great BBIQ, so not sure where that's coming from. There's a reason he averaged almost 7 assists per game with us and was named All-Rookie 1st Team. He to this day still has the most Triple Doubles in Magic history with 8. Hardaway and McGrady only ever had two each. 

I'll give you this: EP averaged an abysmal sub 60% FT shooting for most of his career, starting. Anthony Black in his one season in college averaged 70% on the line. Other than that, shoot % on 2% and 3% were relatively the same during college for both of them. So maybe with the FT% there's a glimmer of hope he'll maybe get better. 

13 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Come on, CT. You and I both know the similarities are there, and it's not just the hair.

High BBIQ, really good defender, great motor, great vision, good finisher, big and long for a PG... and can't shoot and there are red flags if he will ever be able to fix it...

If he had normal hair, I'd still have concerns. It just happens that the hair comparisons could be the same which throws the comparison to an even eerily higher degree.

I think you're being generous with that description of Payton. 

Also for what it's worth Black is a better shooter now than Elfrid Payton was after 3 years in college. 

1 minute ago, ball junkie said:

I’ll also add …I don’t think there were any questions with Elfrid about athleticism …there are with Black …see previous page 

Black had an 40' inch vertical at the combine