Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2023 NBA Draft Day Thread

Just now, ball junkie said:

Cason Wallace was better …and yeah I’m a UK fan …but I think you’ll see and at this point it’s hard to bet against UK guards flourishing in the pros …he went 10th and OKC traded up to get him …I know who looked better when they played head to head …and UK had injuries and a down year also 

Wise man say wise things

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Identical players. Obsession with length over skill. Evaluate one year. Make decision next year just to end up back to square one.

It’s more realistic that we will do what we did last year.

I don’t agree with this take. We have Franz and Paolo with another year of experience.  With internal improvement from them alone we should be better. Did you like the Franz pick at the time?  I didn’t and I wanted Smith Jr also. I was wrong and believe in this front office. It’s not remotely doom and gloom for this team. 

57 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Cason Wallace was better …and yeah I’m a UK fan …but I think you’ll see and at this point it’s hard to bet against UK guards flourishing in the pros …he went 10th and OKC traded up to get him …I know who looked better when they played head to head …and UK had injuries and a down year also 

Homerism. Black had a better season than Wallace, which is way he was always ranked ahead of him throughout the whole season. Black was the best player in the Maui tournament, which is the best preseason tournament in the college basketball. Plus, he was easily the best player UConn faced on their tournament run. 

36 minutes ago, Shine88 said:

Homerism. Black had a better season than Wallace, which is way he was always ranked ahead of him throughout the whole season. Black was the best player in the Maui tournament, which is the best preseason tournament in the college basketball. Plus, he was easily the best player UConn faced on their tournament run. 

Yeah that’s why I said that in my post already before the comments came …time will tell who has the better career …as Jonathan Wasserman said last night about picking Howard over Grady Dick, something about gonna bitem’ in the rear …the same could apply with Weltham choice of PG’s 

Black and Wallace only went 4 picks apart so regardless of who you think is better there isn’t a huge gulf. Personally I think they will both be good but prefer Black if I’m looking for a primary initiator (which I don’t think he will even be asked to be).

I guess I can understand being confused by Black and even pessimistic about it because of his skill set looking very similar to what we have, but it is not like we are all confident what we currently have is what we will have when we are contending - We are multiple years away from Franz and Paolo’s prime years so who knows what the roster will be. But even outside the similarities it is not as if we dont still need players who are good defenders or passers or ball handlers. I also think there is an intentionality in getting someone who will have to compete against entrenched players to carve out a role (whether that is a great idea can also be debated).

The latter is why I don’t think we are getting recently looking to move Coke or Suggs. I think they want some friction to bring out the best in the players. What will be interesting to me is if they still go after FVV as people have previously pointed to.

In any case I think Black makes the team better and am excited to see him play. Still not sure what I think about Jett

27 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Jett absolutely SHOT lights out on his workout with us according to Vecenie on here..

Vecenie absolutely hated this pick FWIW. 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

You could just... Watch him play basketball to see this. 

I did. Elite to me might mean something different to you.