Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

Draymond Green: The most ridiculous [player to be drafted in front of me]? Which one? I mean s—…Listen not to throw salt at anybody but Andrew Nicholson was drafted over me at #19. Like you don’t even know how to pronounce his school [St. Bonaventure] At the time you all are comparing us as big men who can play back to the basket and face up. And I’m like #1 he don’t even look like a basketball player. I always tell people when it comes to winning, half the battle is looking like a basketball player. When you’re on a team and you look at the other side of the floor and you see guys that don’t look like baseball players you automatically lose respect for those guys. So I’m like this guy doesn’t even really look like a basketball player. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t really have the body of Adonis but I just don’t see that. That was one that really really really really pissed me off! There are several others that went before me but that was the one.

– via YouTube

haha, funny… That Nicholson pick got me mad as well. I was furious…
That said, pre draft i remember i wanted Jermey Lamb at 19, Terrence Jones or Perry Jones. My biggest dream draft was Royce White.
I guess they all would have been bad (except for Lamb, but he went in the early tens)
  • Like 1

Chet Holmgren played an amazing game! He will impact winning so much! 

I have to admit that i have to pay more attention to aspects of „motor“ and desire to play basketball. I’ve been fooled too many times. Bamba and BolBol have been great experiences to learn this. 

initially when we picked up Bol Bol, i thought he’d have similar impact as Chet for OKC. Bol Bol started decent but he couldn’t maintain the „energy“ needed. He’s been awful after his first initial games..

With Chet, you can already see that he has that will and that motor to be great.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 9:21 PM, orlandoholic said:
Draymond Green: The most ridiculous [player to be drafted in front of me]? Which one? I mean s—…Listen not to throw salt at anybody but Andrew Nicholson was drafted over me at #19. Like you don’t even know how to pronounce his school [St. Bonaventure] At the time you all are comparing us as big men who can play back to the basket and face up. And I’m like #1 he don’t even look like a basketball player. I always tell people when it comes to winning, half the battle is looking like a basketball player. When you’re on a team and you look at the other side of the floor and you see guys that don’t look like baseball players you automatically lose respect for those guys. So I’m like this guy doesn’t even really look like a basketball player. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t really have the body of Adonis but I just don’t see that. That was one that really really really really pissed me off! There are several others that went before me but that was the one.

– via YouTube

That said, pre draft i remember i wanted Jermey Lamb at 19, Terrence Jones or Perry Jones. My biggest dream draft was Royce White.
I guess they all would have been bad (except for Lamb, but he went in the early tens)

One of the biggest busts I’ve seen play for the Magic. Draymond described it perfectly. 

And I’m getting tired of rating players highly by their athleticism or freaking wingspan. Jalen Brunson and Desmond Bane - to name two - are straight up ballers that fell in the draft for stupid reasons.

42 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

One of the biggest busts I’ve seen play for the Magic. Draymond described it perfectly. 

And I’m getting tired of rating players highly by their athleticism or freaking wingspan. Jalen Brunson and Desmond Bane - to name two - are straight up ballers that fell in the draft for stupid reasons.

Also Haliburton. He was a top of lottery rated guy all year and he fell simply because he wasn't some freak of nature jump out of the gym athlete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Honestly idk if he was even a bust. He was exactly what he was predicted to be. 

I wish Bol well. The writing was definitely on the wall for him when Moe re-signed. He’s got a long way to go to be a contributor to winning basketball but he was fun to watch and seemed like a good dude. 

On 7/3/2023 at 9:21 PM, orlandoholic said:

– via YouTube

He should count his lucky stars he got drafted exactly where he did. He has 4 championships and lots of money because of it. 

14 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

He should count his lucky stars he got drafted exactly where he did. He has 4 championships and lots of money because of it. 

agreed.. It’s underestimated how fit also plays into account.. No disrespect to Green, but his career is completely different if he played in a bad situation..

His game happened to be a perfect fit for the Spurs like system the Warriors implemented at the time.