Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

Jonas Valanciunas is on the block!! It’s a no brainer for me if we can straight up trade him for Harris. 

He only has one year deal and Pelicans looking to unload his contract.. 

39 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

So I have a trade idea:

Magic get: Malcolm Brogdan, Sam Houser

Boston gets: Cole Anthony, Chuma Okeke, ‘24 pick 2nd round (via Denver), and ‘25 pick 1st round (via Denver)-lottery protected.

Boston needs the cap space to a) resign G Williams and b) avoid the 2nd apron on the new CBA. 
For us it improves our backcourt experience and brings in a 40% movement shooter in Houser.

Give that 1 a miss

A little off topic here but I heard coach Mosley interviewed on the starting line up this morning. I can't tell you how impressed I was with his very thoughtful comments to every question he was asked. He may be the right guy.

55 minutes ago, Spaceman said:

A little off topic here but I heard coach Mosley interviewed on the starting line up this morning. I can't tell you how impressed I was with his very thoughtful comments to every question he was asked. He may be the right guy.

Can i get a link to the interview if possible please?

35 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

It feels so good to have no bad contracts on our books.

Yeah, and this is something to keep in mind when floating trade ideas. If we won’t commit to bad contracts on our own, I highly doubt we’d commit to trading for them. This is a Jordan Poole post.

Weltman seems to be all about growing this team organically, so I’m just gonna buckle up and see where it’s all goin 

4 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

Anthony Black 3pt shooting improvements - shot over 18,200 3's in the weeks leading up to the draft.

So here's my problem: his form. 

Tracy McGrady shot a basketball pushing his left thumb with the snap of his right hand. He obviously was a great scorer, but was inconsistent from long range for most of his career. I copied his form growing up until the shooting coach showed me the proper form (left hand guiding and not helping push the ball) and my shot got a lot more consistent, even if my range wasn't as (significantly) long for a pre-teen.

Anthony Black has the same left thumb snap that Tracy McGrady had. I'm not going to say that it's a significant problem, as there are plenty of cases of guys with unconventional forms becoming decently good shooters, but more times than not, it leads to inconsistency and streakiness. 

just an observation from watching that video.

There's a new CBA rule that all but guarantees that we're spending some money this summer. We currently have $107m committed next season (if we bring back everybody, we'll likely waive or decline options on some guys so this will be even less) but the salary floor is 90% of the cap which is $122m this year and the rules for not hitting it under the new CBA will cost a franchise money. 

So we actually have to spend a minimum of $15m. 

EDIT: I just realised this isn't including the rookie deals of AB and Jett which will be $10m ish combined I think. 

So theoretically we don't actually need to spend much to get to the salary floor.