Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Our half court offense is bad but I don't really understand why or how a backup 5 is going to make a big enough difference to change that. 

That being said, as much as I think it's smart on a theoretical level to spend as little as possible on a backup 5 and think Goga/M Wagner could easily handle 15mpg between them dependent on matchups. I do think we have to face the reality that whoever our primary backup 5 is is likely to start 15+ games next season. So that has to factor into the equation also. 

Yeah that’s an excellent point. We’re more likely to win the title than it is for Wendell to play 82 games

Looking at potential backup bigs that could be available... 

Charlotte have Mark Williams and just traded up for James Nnaji. Nick Richards if he's available? Chuma for him? 

I previously mentioned Dwight Powell will be familiar with Mosely and is a free agent with playoff experience. Not super exciting nor am I particularly advocating for it, just a thought.

Drew Eubanks? He had a pretty good year, more of a smaller mobile C but that might fit with what we've got with WCJ? Can block shots, finish, not a non passer. Might be worth a look.

This isn't really in the same ilk because of position (though he can play some 5) but I'm wondering if Bobby Portis might end up being a new CBA casualty in Milwaukee for them to bring back Middleton and Lopez. That might be a fun bench get for us if he becomes available and doesn't cost too much. Brings shooting and rebounding at the 4 spot. 

Everytime we're not signing or trading for a guy that could potentially be a piece of our rotation long term, I absolutely agree on not overpay for borderline good players, and search a backup with players that have no space in other teams, or even in other leagues. There're a lot.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Looking at potential backup bigs that could be available... 

Charlotte have Mark Williams and just traded up for James Nnaji. Nick Richards if he's available? Chuma for him? 

I previously mentioned Dwight Powell will be familiar with Mosely and is a free agent with playoff experience. Not super exciting nor am I particularly advocating for it, just a thought.

Drew Eubanks? He had a pretty good year, more of a smaller mobile C but that might fit with what we've got with WCJ? Can block shots, finish, not a non passer. Might be worth a look.

This isn't really in the same ilk because of position (though he can play some 5) but I'm wondering if Bobby Portis might end up being a new CBA casualty in Milwaukee for them to bring back Middleton and Lopez. That might be a fun bench get for us if he becomes available and doesn't cost too much. Brings shooting and rebounding at the 4 spot. 

IMHO think Drew Banks has to be the top option....

Year
Team
GP
Min
Pts
FG%
3pt%
Reb
Ast
Stl

2022-23

Apparently Jake Fischer has said in a column we're interested in Max Strus. Honestly wouldn't want to be paying him much more than the MLE. Now that I'm a bit more distanced from the Finals I think Strus is a fine wing, solid shooter and ball mover, obviously some great playoff experience, not convinced by his defense though. 

48 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Apparently Jake Fischer has said in a column we're interested in Max Strus. Honestly wouldn't want to be paying him much more than the MLE. Now that I'm a bit more distanced from the Finals I think Strus is a fine wing, solid shooter and ball mover, obviously some great playoff experience, not convinced by his defense though. 

I think people are just putting out that thought because we need shooting and everyone knows it. I take everything with a grain of salt as there are so many pundits and only a handful of them actually have insider sources that are credible. 

Max Straus is going to want to be paid and want to get minutes. Our team shouldn't be long-term investing into him on either. 

21 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Max Straus is going to want to be paid and want to get minutes. Our team shouldn't be long-term investing into him on either. 

He made 1.8m last season, there's a chance that 10-12m ish a year is getting paid to him. And in my opinion we probably should be investing some minutes in wings who can shoot if we want to make the playoffs. Not that I'm super invested in Strus specifically.

So I have a trade idea:

Magic get: Malcolm Brogdan, Sam Houser

Boston gets: Cole Anthony, Chuma Okeke, ‘24 pick 2nd round (via Denver), and ‘25 pick 1st round (via Denver)-lottery protected.

Boston needs the cap space to a) resign G Williams and b) avoid the 2nd apron on the new CBA. 
For us it improves our backcourt experience and brings in a 40% movement shooter in Houser.

15 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

So I have a trade idea:

Magic get: Malcolm Brogdan, Sam Houser

Boston gets: Cole Anthony, Chuma Okeke, ‘24 pick 2nd round (via Denver), and ‘25 pick 1st round (via Denver)-lottery protected.

Boston needs the cap space to a) resign G Williams and b) avoid the 2nd apron on the new CBA. 
For us it improves our backcourt experience and brings in a 40% movement shooter in Houser.

Not a bad idea, I’d be on board with this.