CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think an interesting comp for Jabari offensively could be MPJ. Porter (when healthy) is an elite off ball scorer, he doesn't create a great deal for himself at all but he hits 3s at an elite rate, finishes cuts around the hoop things like that. (He also played with an MVP all time great passer and a near all star level PG in his lone great season). 

Jabari could be that. I don't want it to seem like I'm low on him because I think he's got the type of ceiling that sees him playing starters minutes in high leverage playoff basketball. But I don't see much creation ability.

Maybe he develops in unusual and interesting ways, I saw the theory someone posted from an unnamed scout about how he could add muscle and become like a strength based driver which is an interesting proposition. It'd still depend on the handle getting better and I don't have much frame of reference for that kind of creator but it's certainly something to consider.

The interesting thing for me is I'm a big believer still in Fultz and I think Jabari is a fantastic fit with Fultz. Fultz practically lead the league in high value assists (assists for open 3s or layups) when he returned from injury. Jabari would really benefit from that, and in turn the team would benefit from a 6'10 guy who's an elite shooter. The defensive versitillitiy of a Fultz/Suggs/Franz/Jabari/WCJ lineup is fun to think about. I'm not low on Jabari (well maybe I am if the consensus is he could be Kevin Durant) I'd be happy if we drafted him but I personally don't think he's a better prospect than Holmgren.

I’ll give your analysis credit. Jabri is probably not KD in terms of independent scoring (though he seems quick enough to be able to develop it - I think he just relied on and practiced his jumper a lot more than he did finishing around the rim).

In light of where you think Jabri is, I’m curious to know why you think Chet is a better overall prospect. You think he’ll be a better shot creator? Confident his body will withstand the test of time in the NBA? 

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

I’ll give your analysis credit. Jabri is probably not KD in terms of independent scoring (though he seems quick enough to be able to develop it - I think he just relied on and practiced his jumper a lot more than he did finishing around the rim).

In light of where you think Jabri is, I’m curious to know why you think Chet is a better overall prospect. You think he’ll be a better shot creator? Confident his body will withstand the test of time in the NBA? 

I think the Porter Jr on Offense comparison is fair as a floor.  He should average 22-25 ppg at his peak. Smith looks like a way better defender though. Porter Jr is a very bad defender. Also no giant red flag injuries like Porter Jr had in his draft.

The Rashard Lewis comparison is still a good one. Just remember Lewis was a second round pick. He wasn’t near the prospect Smith is at the same age. Plus he is bigger and more athletic. I looked up Rashard’s draft weight and he was only 190 lbs. Jabari is already at 220 lbs! Lol I forgot how skinny Lewis actually was combining in the league. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

The argument for Chet is he’ll be a swiss army knife at both ends. Kirilenko with dribbling and passing.

To slightly change the topic, there’s a thread on Real GM about playing Jabari Smith at shooting guard and overwhelming other teams with size, sort of like the Cavs did when they were healthy. Not sure it would work but would love to see it

14 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

Exhibit 1 on risk reward for Jabari or Chet, provided by Josh Cohen, article dated May 3:

Jabari Smith Jr., who shot 42 percent from downtown in his one season at Auburn, has arguably the best long-distance shooting mechanics and touch for someone 6-foot-10 or taller ever coming into the draft. 

Exhibit 2 on risk reward for Jabari or Chet, provided by David Cobb, article dated May 20:

A case can be made for Holmgren, since he's a better rim protector than Smith and shot-blocking isn't a particular strength for Smith. But in today's NBA, offense must be the priority, and Smith's outside shooting touch helps him stand out in that regard.

What if we are all just overthinking this draft. What if it's just like 2017? Guy from Duke projected to go 3rd. Everyone says he is the most NBA ready, just like 2017. Everyone says he is the most natural scorer, just like 2017. Notice i didn't say shooter. Tons of websites, before, during and after the season say he should be number one, just like 2017.

So how is Duke player Banchero not the same situation as Duke player Tatum and nobody is mentioning it? Tatum has just jumped to superstar, but showed he was good from his very first year. Most people expect the same from Paolo. I mean, not the superstardom, but probably the best scorer from year one. 

The guy just balls out. Fits right into the line-up as well. We have been dying for for two things in Orlando for ten years. A natural,volume scorer, or first option. The second thing is a playmaker. So the guy who nobody denies will display those characteristics is not the number one pick?

Meanwhile so many questions about Chet. Who does he defend, where does he play, can he stay healthy? Can he really move like that and score like that against NBA forwards or will he just be a defensive player?

Meanwhile Jabari Parker; Can he do anything else but shoot? Can he score inside, can he get his own shot, will he get some handles?

Paolo Banchero, oh this guy will probably drop16/8 from day one and be a lead playmaker, but can he play defense? 

Seems like the most obvious guy is getting overlooked.

Had to Edit. 

look, i love Jabari. The guy just plays so hard, from every game i watched and every highlight video. And guys like that, at that age, with that body...wow! Most usually get better and so far the word is his head is in the right place. But a guy on reddit made a list of 6 foot 9 to 6'11 shooters to come out of college recently. They were all role players like Cam Johnson and Ryan Anderson. 

Stars are players you can give the rock to and watch them go. There is a good chance Jabari is never, ever that player. Meanwhile Paolo just did that all year. Have you seen the highlights of him putting moves on people and making passes? Guy can stroke it as well...at his size.

So if Chet can actually stay healthy and do those moves on NBA players, it's really only him and Paolo that you are drafting with the most upside.

So when you reply to this post, ask yourself do you really believe in best player available or best player for the team. If you are 100% BPA i believe you can't draft Jabari. You can definitely draft him as best fit. Both Paolo and Chet have higher ceilings and like alot of you i'm scared Chet will never stay on the floor enough.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

What if we are all just overthinking this draft. What if it's just like 2017? Guy from Duke projected to go 3rd. Everyone says he is the most NBA ready, just like 2017. Everyone says he is the most natural scorer, just like 2017. Notice i didn't say shooter. Tons of websites, before, during and after the season say he should be number one, just like 2017.

So how is Duke player Banchero not the same situation as Duke player Tatum and nobody is mentioning it? Tatum has just jumped to superstar, but showed he was good from his very first year. Most people expect the same from Paolo. I mean, not the superstardom, but probably the best scorer from year one. 

The guy just balls out. Fits right into the line-up as well. We have been dying for for two things in Orlando for ten years. A natural,volume scorer, or first option. The second thing is a playmaker. So the guy who nobody denies will display those characteristics is not the number one pick?

Meanwhile so many questions about Chet. Who does he defend, where does he play, can he stay healthy? Can he really move like that and score like that against NBA forwards or will he just be a defensive player?

Meanwhile Jabari Parker; Can he do anything else but shoot? Can he score inside, can he get his own shot, will he get some handles?

Paolo Banchero, oh this guy will probably drop16/8 from day one and be a lead playmaker, but can he play defense? 

Seems like the most obvious guy is getting overlooked.

Had to Edit. 

look, i love Jabari. The guy just plays so hard, from every game i watched and every highlight video. And guys like that, at that age, with that body...wow! Most usually get better and so far the word is his head is in the right place. But a guy on reddit made a list of 6 foot 9 to 6'11 shooters to come out of college recently. They were all role players like Cam Johnson and Ryan Anderson. 

Stars are players you can give the rock to and watch them go. There is a good chance Jabari is never, ever that player. Meanwhile Paolo just did that all year. Have you seen the highlights of him putting moves on people and making passes? Guy can stroke it as well...at his size.

So if Chet can actually stay healthy and do those moves on NBA players, it's really only him and Paolo that you are drafting with the most upside.

So when you reply to this post, ask yourself do you really believe in best player available or best player for the team. If you are 100% BPA i believe you can't draft Jabari. You can definitely draft him as best fit. Both Paolo and Chet have higher ceilings and like alot of you i'm scared Chet will never stay on the floor enough.

I’ll bite. First, Tatum and Banchero are totally different players at different positions. Just because both produced at Duke doesn’t mean their games or bodies are alike. Second, Banchero… because of his body and lack of athleticism… is seen as having a lower ceiling than Smith and Holmgren. He’s seen as the produce now guy in this draft. Third, Banchero needs the ball in his hand to maximize his game… the other two do not. His outside shot, according to multiple sources, is flat. Smith and Holmgren impact the game massively even without the ball because both are great two way players. (OMD had a recent article attesting to Smith’s advanced stats and impact). Fourth, yes, I believe Banchero is an immediate producer as a rookie, but WeltHam have said they’re taking the long view 5-7+ year approach. Thus, if I’m taking BPA for the long haul, I think it’s Smith, Holmgren and even Sharpe in the conversation. That’s my take.

• Upvote 1

One more thing: The more I read up on Chet, the more I think he’s WeltHam’s pick right now. I personally want Smith but will totally understand if they chose Chet.

5 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

One more thing: The more I read up on Chet, the more I think he’s WeltHam’s pick right now. I personally want Smith but will totally understand if they chose Chet.

I’m in the exact same camp. It feels like Chet is the “long term project” Weltman is referring to in recent interviews. I’m going to trust the senior leadership will make the right call, but would prefer Smith just off everything I know. 

With that being said, I’ve been spot on with our top picks when we’ve had a top 3 the last two times, loudly wanting Dwight Howard (when a lot of y’all wanted Okafor) and Victor Oladipo (whom would have been the best player in his class if not for those injuries).

I’m going to be disappointed if we don’t choose smith, but will trust they have researched Chet enough to believe he’ll go for the fences. I just think Smith fits in from a personality (humble, hard working, lead by example) and play (shooter, long defender who can switch) standpoint. We shall see! 

• Upvote 1

I just want a guy who can shoot the three in the NBA --- Jabari is 1st, but Chet is right behind. Even if hes just a 3 and D player if he can make his threes then this draft is a success. I think we have superstars in the making anyways.

4 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I don't like the Ryan Anderson comparison I’ve read it a few times. No where near the athlete Smith is at this point. I think Jabaris upside is very high. Banchero will probably never be the defender Smith will be. I don’t know how anyone could watch a full Smith game and not think he will be a multi time All Star. He does way more than just shoot threes.