CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

I’m on the Smith train but think the Magic will consider all options, especially Holmgren. In Vecenie’s latest mock, he has us picking Smith:

”Smith is my favorite prospect in the class because he possesses the combination of skills that are most in-demand in the current NBA. He’s an elite shooter who made 42 percent from 3 in 2021-22 while also possessing enough athleticism and shot-creation ability to get to his pull-up jumper. I see him as an efficient 20-plus point-per-game scorer and a versatile defender who can switch across multiple positions. Elite shooting and strong defense are the best possible baseline for a teenage NBA player.

Smith must improve as a passer and ballhandler attacking the rim. He was a good but not great finisher, and he hasn’t shown an ability to make multi-layered passing reads. But I think he’s the safest prospect in this class, and he retains a lot of upside because of his shot-creation skill, especially when generating stepback jumpers.

The Magic simply just need elite talent, and they’ll likely take the best player available. With that being the case, I like Smith as that guy for them. The team has a lot of pieces across the position spectrum and should just take the guy they think works best for them.”

https://theathletic.com/3312706/2022/05/17/nba-mock-draft-2022/?amp=1

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

Wonder what is Shaedon's tradeable value for....would next year's Magic pick, Cole and this year's #32 pick do it?

In workouts we need to see (scouts) Sharpe in 3 on 3 action against real nba size and shape. I know they dont go that hard, but still it needs to be looked at. Anyone can look good in workouts.

12 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

The Magic will now have a significant advantage in intel gathering, too. Every prospect at the top of this class wants to hear his name called first. For example, members of Paolo Banchero's family were chatting about the idea of joining Orlando as they exited the lottery room on Tuesday. 

The Magic should have the opportunity to meet with and evaluate whomever they please. Their clear void of a franchise centerpiece offers a direct runway for whomever they select at No. 1 to become the team's true alpha, with a development plan and roster construction centered around that player. 

1. Bleacher Report 

Joel Glass is on the radio right now, he was the Magics representative off stage during the lotto last night. He was interviewed about his night, knowing the Magic won the lotto for almost an hour before it was announced. Good interview. 

An interesting thing he mentioned was being number 1 changes things significantly as every prospect will offer to workout for the number one team. He went even further and said Suggs would not work out for us last year before we drafted him. Rumors are his workout with Toronto was awful and that was why they chose Scottie. It's good to know the Magic were most rumored to be the ones drafting Barnes until they didn't have the chance. It seems more and more like they are good scouts. This isn't a bash against Suggs, i still have faith he turns out fine.

Also to all the people mentioning getting another lottery pick without trading the number one pick just stop now. You know nobody is giving us a top 10 pick for any of our players or a future first. Bird in hand kind of thing. Yeah sure i think a team like the Kings or Pacers would love a game changing vet instead of a rookie but we are not the team that has that player to trade.

A Webber/Hardaway type trade is a real possibility but who the heck knows who OKC or Houston really covet.

3 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Joel Glass is on the radio right now, he was the Magics representative off stage during the lotto last night. He was interviewed about his night, knowing the Magic won the lotto for almost an hour before it was announced. Good interview. 

An interesting thing he mentioned was being number 1 changes things significantly as every prospect will offer to workout for the number one team. He went even further and said Suggs would not work out for us last year before we drafted him. Rumors are his workout with Toronto was awful and that was why they chose Scottie. It's good to know the Magic were most rumored to be the ones drafting Barnes until they didn't have the chance. It seems more and more like they are good scouts. This isn't a bash against Suggs, i still have faith he turns out fine.

Also to all the people mentioning getting another lottery pick without trading the number one pick just stop now. You know nobody is giving us a top 10 pick for any of our players or a future first. Bird in hand kind of thing. Yeah sure i think a team like the Kings or Pacers would love a game changing vet instead of a rookie but we are not the team that has that player to trade.

A Webber/Hardaway type trade is a real possibility but who the heck knows who OKC or Houston really covet.

hootie this is super good info …thanks for sharing …very interesting Glass comments about Suggs …as we move along till June 23 any of you guys surfing the web please share any and all info you can gather 

• Upvote 1

I really think Banchero is the guy for us, but we'll see. I do hate drafting a 34% 3pt shooter but a 73% FT shooter. I think thats his ceiling in the NBA. His shot is good and clean so maybe a respectable 36%.

Chet shot almost 40% from 3 but he also is a 73% FT shooter so who knows.

Giannis was 6' 10" 196 pounds when he was drafte, but his fram did look a little thicker. 

I wouldnt mind drafting him and basically trading away Bamba and something for another pick.

With Isaac's repetitive injury issues a real question mark moving forward, I really like the idea of Jabari Smith.  He is a true stretch 4 that would make a very good complement to Wendell at the 5 and Franz at the 3.  While that frontline would be far from elite defensively, and none are real shot-blocking threats, all three of them are good, sound team defenders.  On offense, however, Jabari has qualities that are Kevin Durant-ish.  A 6'10" sniper who can fill it up from the 3-point line and would be hard to defend for opposing 4s.  There aren't many NBA PFs that possess that type of elite shooting skill set, especially at Jabari's size.  There are questions about Jabari's drive skills, but I believe he didn't rely on his athleticism at Auburn because he could get off his shot so easily in college.  If he tests well on athleticism in pre-draft workouts, then ball-fake and drive skills can evolve with coaching and that would make him an even more dangerous scorer IMO.       

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

I gave you some love and backing a few pages ago re: Chet.

I know I'm just playing really :).

You also raised some legitimate concerns with Chet a couple pages back beyond "he's skinny" that I meant to respond on but haven't got around to. 

We're not winning anything with Bamba. I love him but we haven't taken the next step his entire tenure. Chet brings exactly what this team needs, someone who can put the ball into the hoop. If someone takes away Franz who the hell is gonna take the shot?  I'm not worried about his size. You can feed him and put him in the gym.

Every game. EVERY game it's the same story

Tie game

"A Magic jump shot!"

*Clunk*

Other team misses thank God it's still tied

"Magic for 3"

*Clunk*

Other team scores, down by 2

"Magic with a layup!"

*Clunk*

Other team drains a 3. Down by 5

"Magic for 3"

*Clunk*

Other team misses thank God. Still down by 5

Magic draw a foul. Score 1. Down by 4.

Other team scores a 3, down by 7

Timeout Orlando

We never recover. 

I know I made this speech already but I'm tired of our offense straight up dying because no one can make a damn shot.

Gone are the days when you could draw up any play and give it to Lewis, Nelson, Turk or even Howard. If Fultz is streaky that night and Franz is covered, that damn ball ain't going in.

Chet isn't the end all be all of scoring but I trust his consistency. The Magic need to prioritize it above all else no matter who they take

SPACING ! SPACING ! SPACING ! 

Pretty sure you guys get the point …on most every level of basketball these days that is key …especially in the NBA .

Who can we draft that would provide our offense more of this ? …Our 29th ranked offense by the way …gotta be an alpha cause we don’t have that 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Lord have mercy I might have to leave this board until the draft...

Look, It's not even like I'm some Chet super fan I just feel the need to balance out the negativity here...  

In what way did Chet "struggle in college"? 14 points, 10 rebounds, 3.7 blocks a game on 61/39/72 shooting? And Gonzaga gave up the lowest 2 point FG% in college basketball with Chet as their lynchpin on defense. 

And what talent is Chet lacking that will hamper him in the pros? If he busts in the pros it'll be because of weight, he has every skill you can think of for a 7 footer. 

He's not lacking anything but mass. He does not strike me as someone who is fully finished with puberty either. His body screams "late bloomer" in that he has to catch up with his height. And yet he's already as good as he is. So you ask yourself the question of if this team is ready to win now. Maybe give it another season. Now ask yourself what Chet will look like physically by then.

I won't rip out my hair if the Magic don't draft him. But the argument to do it to makes sense to me

Edit: if the guy weighed 225 now no one would be talking about anyone else for #1. So get the guy to 225

Edited by J Roc Baby
  • Upvote 1

well well well.....LFG!

1. Jabari is the best fit. Can't rely on JI's availability and health, so Jabari steps right into the starting PF slot. He's the ultimate 3&D option for us, and would feed off of our guards & Franz. One can question if it's wise to spend the #1 pick on a role player. If you've seen enough to comfortably build around Markelle/Franz/Wendell, Jabari makes perfect sense. Kelle/Suggs (*if shooting is improved)/Franz/Jabari/WCj....that is a perfect balance of everything; such a well-rounded lineup. 

2. I love everything about Chet except his body. I worry about it. However, if the medicals check out and the FO greenlight's his selection, I'd be happy. Elite IQ, shot-blocking, shooter, awareness, and a straight hooper. He's also a super great fit. I've seen it said a few times the last couple weeks, but this past season with WCj/Bamba starting together was a trial run for how we'd potentially look with 2 bigs and Chet replacing Bamba. The feel for the game, defense, and shooting from a Franz/WCj/Chet front line can be something super special. 

3. Shaedon Sharpe....man, I'd still consider this kid. In a league where guards/wings rule, he can be the one to elevate our potential future. I trust the FO and Matt Lloyd strongly consider him and would be just as happy as the other 2 options, if he's our pick.

We're in a good position and looking forward to draft season over the next 5 weeks. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

SPACING ! SPACING ! SPACING ! 

Pretty sure you guys get the point …on most every level of basketball these days that is key …especially in the NBA .

Who can we draft that would provide our offense more of this ? …Our 29th ranked offense by the way …gotta be an alpha cause we don’t have that 

Jabari Smith and AJ Griffin just had 2 all time great freshman shooting seasons if spacing is what you care about.

• Upvote 1