All Eyes On Me

2021-2022 Orlando Magic Season Thread… Let’s Goo!!!

1 hour ago, Babir_9 said:

Because there is a certain  corruption level…agents, coaches, brands, players, relatives etc. Remember when Rashard Lewis could not get a max contract by almost no one but us and we still gave him extra year by doing a sign and trade…I remember when Alan Houston could not get more than 60 millions by anyone and Knicks gave him 100 plus…these Chandler Parsons contracts were crazy as well…there are many  very “strange” deals in the league..

Yes the sign and trades for Lewis and Hill were ridiculous. Both times we had serious cap space for serious offers, and yet we let both run us over a barrel. Famously giving up Ben Wallace in the Detroit trade. Grant was a free agent he didn't need to be traded that way, supposedly it was so we had the room for both him and T-mac. I remember studying it and realized it was not true at all. Especially Lewis did not have the cache or other teams with nearly  as much money as we did. In all reality we outbid ourselves and helped his former team. Notice how quickly the Supersonics became a juggernaut after the "trade". Just like the Pistons. Well run teams always do that to bad teams. The current joke in MLB is do not trade with Tampa Bay, and they don't even have money! We are constantly near the top of spending, it's about time we have a good team to show for it.

This is probably the biggest reason to build through these young guys and be very careful where we spend until the culture has changed. To players that want to be here, good coaches...maybe new ownership. We have a lot of work to do besides winning the lottery. Have to stop being the laughingstock of the east. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, hootie249 said:

It's almost like the guys making the decisions don't even watch basketball. How did the Knicks G.M. and coach make these decisions? Did the G.M. even ask the coach? Did Thibs not watch film or even get to say no deal? NBA has some of the strangest signings and trades i've ever seen the last few years. I guess it was always like this, we just read more about it. I mean, everybody knew that Westbrook would not work in L.A. Fans knew it, talk show hosts, radio guys, reddit forums etc. It still happened!

If i was a Gm these days i think i would secretly be on every fan forum i could find. Not for all the correct moves to make, just for the feedback. Forum readers ask for ridiculous trades and drafts too, but i find one thing in common. The worst moves are almost always universally panned. Like i would just throw up a draft pick or trade idea and just let the forum debate it six ways till Sunday. If i'm on 4 or 5 forums and most hate the idea i'm definitley second guessing it at least.  

Edit. Notice i didn't bash Evan. I'm over that era of the Magic, on to the new Era. This team was full of Role players and one dimensional types. It's astounding how mediocre our starters were but even worse was our depth. Since the day Dwight left we get absolute trash to fill out the bench. We don't use second round picks, we don't develop 10 day contract guys or take chances on young misfits from other teams. Even the Kings have tried harder in this area then the Magic, yes they have failed but C'mon! 

Serious question for fans here. Who has been the most impactful free agent the Magic have signed since Rashard Lewis? I know we haven't signed any stars since Lewis but cheap guys count. Who? 

Regarding your first paragraph, what’s noteworthy is that NBA teams/staff are not allowed to post on message boards. Dan Savage told me this last year. It somehow breaks NBA protocol because it entails teams talking publicly about players from opposing teams. Thus, the need for volunteer mods on here.

Thinking about former players, Elfrid couldn't even get a minute of playing time last night against OKC. Chris Paul is out, Cam Payne is out and Aaron Holiday gets all the PG minutes with Landry Shamet getting all the other back up guard minutes. Holiday just acquired less then 2 weeks ago and the Suns trust him more then Elfrid. Can't even get twelfth man minutes against one of the worst teams in the league, in a blowout. If you ask Suns fans they will tell you they really miss Dario Saric, the team actually used him a ton before his injury.  Kind of ironic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Thinking about former players, Elfrid couldn't even get a minute of playing time last night against OKC. Chris Paul is out, Cam Payne is out and Aaron Holiday gets all the PG minutes with Landry Shamet getting all the other back up guard minutes. Holiday just acquired less then 2 weeks ago and the Suns trust him more then Elfrid. Can't even get twelfth man minutes against one of the worst teams in the league, in a blowout. If you ask Suns fans they will tell you they really miss Dario Saric, the team actually used him a ton before his injury.  Kind of ironic.

I'm surprised he's still in the league. He sucks!

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 9:23 AM, hootie249 said:

It's almost like the guys making the decisions don't even watch basketball. How did the Knicks G.M. and coach make these decisions? Did the G.M. even ask the coach? Did Thibs not watch film or even get to say no deal? NBA has some of the strangest signings and trades i've ever seen the last few years. I guess it was always like this, we just read more about it. I mean, everybody knew that Westbrook would not work in L.A. Fans knew it, talk show hosts, radio guys, reddit forums etc. It still happened!

If i was a Gm these days i think i would secretly be on every fan forum i could find. Not for all the correct moves to make, just for the feedback. Forum readers ask for ridiculous trades and drafts too, but i find one thing in common. The worst moves are almost always universally panned. Like i would just throw up a draft pick or trade idea and just let the forum debate it six ways till Sunday. If i'm on 4 or 5 forums and most hate the idea i'm definitley second guessing it at least.  

Edit. Notice i didn't bash Evan. I'm over that era of the Magic, on to the new Era. This team was full of Role players and one dimensional types. It's astounding how mediocre our starters were but even worse was our depth. Since the day Dwight left we get absolute trash to fill out the bench. We don't use second round picks, we don't develop 10 day contract guys or take chances on young misfits from other teams. Even the Kings have tried harder in this area then the Magic, yes they have failed but C'mon! 

Serious question for fans here. Who has been the most impactful free agent the Magic have signed since Rashard Lewis? I know we haven't signed any stars since Lewis but cheap guys count. Who? 

Aminu was the most impactful free agent signing since he was included in the deal that netted us Carter and Wagner.

Tough times.   About 11 years of mediocrity and counting.  Who knows when it'll end.  I still hope ownership would sell so there can be a new identity established  from the top/down.  I've completely stopped watching but I do catch a 1 minute highlight 3 to 6 months.  I don't have time for it.  

I really wouldn’t mind throwing some money at Andrew Wiggins. The guy has obviously benefited from playing with Steph but his shot creation and 3pt shot have improved regardless of circumstances.

Can’t teach size either

20 hours ago, ~O~ said:

Tough times.   About 11 years of mediocrity and counting.  Who knows when it'll end.  I still hope ownership would sell so there can be a new identity established  from the top/down.  I've completely stopped watching but I do catch a 1 minute highlight 3 to 6 months.  I don't have time for it.  

Can’t blame you.  You speak for many Magic fans who understandably are tired of watching a terrible team.  

Kept saying he wouldn't be back until after all star break. Be interesting to see what sort of minute restriction they put him on though. Isaac won't play this season.