jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

22 minutes ago, s1n1st3r12 said:

Yeah seems absurd for a glorified defender, I would have seen how he goes this season before committing to anything. 

Isn't this similar to what we paid him when we extended?

I think denver made a mistake here, they are paying too much for a guy who is 3rd or 4th spade at best

Very glad we moved on from AG. It’s shocking to me that his overall game (dribbling, shooting and offensive awareness) never really developed. In the end, turns out Tobias ended up being the best of the bunch of EP, Oladipo, Harris and AG (when injuries are factored in). 

19 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I would be surprised if it is us, but you never know. I can't see anything built around Fultz for obvious reasons, so what would they want? Probably two of Suggs, Anthony, Hampton, Isaac, plus multiple first round picks, and Harris or Ross to make the numbers work. Probably something like this (we can trade both '22 and '23 first round because we have the Chicago first round)

G Harris, Hampton, Suggs, 2022 1st (Top 5 protected), 2023 1st (Top 5 protected) for Simmons and Isaiah Joe. 

Not sure if they can do better, not sure if we should consider. It would leave us financially tied up for a long time with Simmons, Fultz, and Isaac's contracts, WCJ/Bamba both up for new contracts next year, and Anthony/Okeke due soon after. 

16 hours ago, alwaystragic said:

I really don't understand fans pushing for simmons as he clearly is a problem, both inside and outside the court, and our situation will let us contend without having to trade for any star in a couple of years

That's why I said I wasn't sure if we should consider - I am not pushing for Simmons at all. I can see him going either way from this point on. He has never really shown much concern for improving his free throw/outside shooting in the past, as he has made a couple of All-Star appearances without doing so.

The question becomes, does he now start working on shooting improvement as a result of his playoff issues; or does he "double down" on not needing to. If he has a new commitment  to improve his shooting, then I probably would consider something like I listed (thinking that's what Philly would demand). Without that focus to improve his shooting, I am not interested, as he strikes me as a regular-season star who won't lead you to a 'ship. 

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Very glad we moved on from AG. It’s shocking to me that his overall game (dribbling, shooting and offensive awareness) never really developed. In the end, turns out Tobias ended up being the best of the bunch of EP, Oladipo, Harris and AG (when injuries are factored in). 

kinda ironic Denver could have kept Jerami Grant for 3/$60M and wound up giving AG 4/$92M

17 hours ago, alwaystragic said:

……..and our situation will let us contend without having to trade for any star in a couple of years

I certainly wouldn’t count on that, anymore than our “young guns” crystallized into a strongly competitive group 10 years ago.  

On 9/14/2021 at 7:03 PM, alwaystragic said:

Isn't this similar to what we paid him when we extended?

I think denver made a mistake here, they are paying too much for a guy who is 3rd or 4th spade at best

We extended at 4yr/$80M on a declining contract - they re-signed for $12M more over 4 years, so average an additional $3M per. (I'd be happy to take that extra $3M a year, how about you?)

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

We extended at 4yr/$80M on a declining contract - they re-signed for $12M more over 4 years, so average an additional $3M per. (I'd be happy to take that extra $3M a year, how about you?)

I think it has more to do with his age when we re-signed him at 22. He’s 26 now and while he can still Improve it’s not as likely. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

it'd be nice to have a bit of colour back in the place lol

The proverbial calm before the storm.  Give it a few weeks, there’ll be plenty of color.  I’m just hoping we get off to a decent start and are competitive, even if we don’t win many games.  Multiple blowouts with us being a disorganized mess would be a worst case scenario but is not outside the realm of possibility. 

• Upvote 1

I miss Jareth too, guys.

I'm discount Jareth, but I'll do my best.

And yeah, JJZFL, I and possibly MULTIPLE other may in fact participate in discussions on this forum when the season begins. This, according to my sources, of course.

Yes, Aussie, I miss those old surreal discussions and tangents as well, though sometimes it was a bit much and for that I will partially apologize for. Another great one was Jackie Treehorn. Funny guy, and no that's not me. We all know everyone on this forum is just Jareth talking to himself anyway.

• Upvote 1