jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

I don't start a lot of new threads, but since I have already seen a couple of things that probably belong in this type of thread, I thought I would start one. 

Hootie249 had posted in the playoff thread, but I wanted to throw in the comment here about TJ Warren from Indiana.

" Yeah but here is the thing. That's opportunity. A ton of people on these boards think losing is the worse for a teams mental health. And those are valid concerns. I think it is better for a team to squeeze out 30-35 wins during a rebuild then to bottom out. This team needs shooting. He only gets paid 11 million. He would only be available because he is a knucklehead. Bring him in for a year, let him shoot his heart out. Takes the pressure off the young guys. I'd rather have a balanced team. More offense, less blowouts. Still have flexibility because it's only a one year commitment. But, again i shouldn't be responding, wrong thread."

I actually like this idea - depending on what we have to give up to get him. If we could do something like guarantee Bacon for next season so we can include him, and throw in the future 2nd that Indy owes us, and maybe another 2nd (protected 31-35), Warren would fit easily taking up part of the Fournier trade exception. The other option might be if they are interested in Otto Porter, Jr; we might be able to do a sign & trade. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

I don't start a lot of new threads, but since I have already seen a couple of things that probably belong in this type of thread, I thought I would start one. 

I hope you don't mind I edited the title just to broaden the topic a little to everything off-season related. I'll pin now. 

48 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I hope you don't mind I edited the title just to broaden the topic a little to everything off-season related. I'll pin now. 

Sounds great, thanks!

Am I crazy for thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to offer Robin Lopez a contract this summer? We've got spare cash, if we want to be competitive we could use a more robust, experienced, big for certain matchups but also he'd have to be someone who would be ok not playing in some games and I feel like Lopez is kind of perfect for that. Plus he's been in the league for years, he boxes out, he's physical, he protects the rim, it'd be nice to have Bamba and WCJ practicing against a guy like that. 

Plus he loves Disney World so he'd probably actually be open to coming here even though we won't be a playoff team. 

EDIT: Could probably also trade him to a playoff team who needs a backup big if it starts to look like our season is over or if WCJ and Bamba both develop and look good enough to handle any matchup between them.

51 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Am I crazy for thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to offer Robin Lopez a contract this summer? We've got spare cash, if we want to be competitive we could use a more robust, experienced, big for certain matchups but also he'd have to be someone who would be ok not playing in some games and I feel like Lopez is kind of perfect for that. Plus he's been in the league for years, he boxes out, he's physical, he protects the rim, it'd be nice to have Bamba and WCJ practicing against a guy like that. 

Plus he loves Disney World so he'd probably actually be open to coming here even though we won't be a playoff team. 

EDIT: Could probably also trade him to a playoff team who needs a backup big if it starts to look like our season is over or if WCJ and Bamba both develop and look good enough to handle any matchup between them.

Yeah he would be a decent back up, but watch the Wizard series this week before getting too excited. I like your thinking. It's time to be creative. I want a mix of the right kind of vets to go with the rookies. And if the ones we have are not the answer ship em out and bring some others in. Biggest thing for me is having some veteran ball handling not named McW or Bacon.

Let's say Fultz is sidelined for at least two months. I really do not want the ball in the hands of Cole,Harris,McW,Bacon or Ross 80% of the time, plus whichever stud rookie we get. That is gonna add up to a ton of  losses. Cole is a score first point guard, McW is just not that good at passing and Bacon and Harris are two guards all the way. One is a black hole, Gary is only slightly better. Ross is a black hole sometimes. The rookies will be so raw. Get me a decent passing vet.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

Yeah he (Robin Lopez) would be a decent back up, but watch the Wizard series this week before getting too excited. I like your thinking. It's time to be creative. I want a mix of the right kind of vets to go with the rookies. And if the ones we have are not the answer ship em out and bring some others in. Biggest thing for me is having some veteran ball handling not named McW or Bacon.

Let's say Fultz is sidelined for at least two months. I really do not want the ball in the hands of Cole,Harris,McW,Bacon or Ross 80% of the time, plus whichever stud rookie we get. That is gonna add up to a ton of  losses. Cole is a score first point guard, McW is just not that good at passing and Bacon and Harris are two guards all the way. One is a black hole, Gary is only slightly better. Ross is a black hole sometimes. The rookies will be so raw. Get me a decent passing vet.

I've noted this before, but I'll put it in this thread for ease - we currently have 10 players under contract for next season:

1) Fultz/Anthony/Hampton

2) Harris/Carter-Williams

3) Ross

4) Isaac/Okeke

5) Carter, Jr/Bamba

Bacon is not yet guaranteed, we have until 8/1 to decide on him. We can guarantee and trade him, or just let him expire, so I haven't counted him in the 10. With our (hopefully) two top-10 rookie picks, we will have three open spots to work with. I have seen some people saying that Wagner and/or Brazdeikis have earned spots. I'm not so sure about either one; I don't dislike them, I just want to see what else is available. I do like Ennis, and he fills a position of need (currently) as well as being a true hustle type of vet; but again, I am not set on him, it depends on what else is out there. I can see us re-signing Porter, even if it is just as a sign & trade as mentioned above. I think if we get Suggs, we will have to look at moving at least one of our current 1/2 from the list above. Cunningham (or Giddy) both have sufficient size to play some SF in what is essentially a three-guard lineup. It's going to be an interesting summer, I think. 

2 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Yeah he would be a decent back up, but watch the Wizard series this week before getting too excited. I like your thinking. It's time to be creative. I want a mix of the right kind of vets to go with the rookies. And if the ones we have are not the answer ship em out and bring some others in. Biggest thing for me is having some veteran ball handling not named McW or Bacon.

There are so few decent veteran backup PGs in this free agent class.

Raul Neto

Ish Smith

Brad Wanamaker

Cam Payne

Most of the other guys will either want too much money, to play for a contender or aren't good enough to bother with. Even someone like Payne might want something close to the MLE and 2+ guaranteed years. 

EDIT: we might just keep Randle for another year. 

4 hours ago, hootie249 said:

. . .Let's say Fultz is sidelined for at least two months. I really do not want the ball in the hands of Cole,Harris,McW,Bacon or Ross 80% of the time, plus whichever stud rookie we get. That is gonna add up to a ton of  losses. Cole is a score first point guard, McW is just not that good at passing and Bacon and Harris are two guards all the way. One is a black hole, Gary is only slightly better. Ross is a black hole sometimes. The rookies will be so raw. Get me a decent passing vet.

I agree. I 'bold' the part about Cole because in the last regular season game thread, I alluded to him being a problem at point guard next season if Fultz is not ready to go to start the season or if he (Fultz) is injured at any time during the season.

In the last few games of the 20-21 regular season Cole made the game about him and not team basketball. He was a ball hog. . .a score first point guard, attempting to win the game by himself. I don't think that is something that will change.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Well said.

On 5/21/2021 at 3:48 PM, CTMagicUK said:

There are so few decent veteran backup PGs in this free agent class.

Raul Neto

Ish Smith

Brad Wanamaker

Cam Payne

Oof, Wanamaker might be the worst PG in the league.  Payne and Smith would be decent options, though their respective teams seem to like them and would probably try to keep them around.