CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

15 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

Are you nuts?  Both high level shot creators.  Efficiency is the key and both can develop.

Part of being a high level shot creator is being efficient. If you're not efficient then how are you "high level". Why do we think being inefficient at lower levels will translate to being efficient at higher levels in the same role?

EDIT: I should say here Kuminga gets a lot more leeway than Bouknight since he was 18 playing against pros and not 20 playing against his peers.

I think you guys know much more about these players then i do, that said there is no way i can get excited about Kuminga on draft day. The more i see on video and the more i hear about him tells me he is a guy who plays basketball because he is tall,big and fast and is not really a basketball player. He's an athlete. 

Cade would have been the perfect fit for us and i still love the Jalens. As of right now i would take Barnes and Bouknight/Moody/Jalen Johnson.  

Why? Because i think they have skills that will keep them in a rotation while having potential to be a star. Less bust potential. 

Barnes already has a great feel for the game. Bouknight looks to me to have an NBA first step. Moody has the lowest ceiling but looks like a guy who knows how to play basketball already not a project. Jalen Johnson has too much talent, might be the guy who stock dropped that has a chip on his shoulder. Before he quit his upside was right up there with the top guys.

13 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

I think you guys know much more about these players then i do, that said there is no way i can get excited about Kuminga on draft day. The more i see on video and the more i hear about him tells me he is a guy who plays basketball because he is tall,big and fast and is not really a basketball player. He's an athlete. 

Cade would have been the perfect fit for us and i still love the Jalens. As of right now i would take Barnes and Bouknight/Moody/Jalen Johnson.  

Why? Because i think they have skills that will keep them in a rotation while having potential to be a star. Less bust potential. 

Barnes already has a great feel for the game. Bouknight looks to me to have an NBA first step. Moody has the lowest ceiling but looks like a guy who knows how to play basketball already not a project. Jalen Johnson has too much talent, might be the guy who stock dropped that has a chip on his shoulder. Before he quit his upside was right up there with the top guys.

I'm in with the B's.....Barnes and Bouknight !!!!

33 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

Did you just compare Bouknight to Bacon?  Wow!  

No.  I compared CTMagicUK’s description of Bouknight to Bacon.  I know nothing about these players beyond what I read here, in general college basketball don’t interest me much. 

32 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Part of being a high level shot creator is being efficient. If you're not efficient then how are you "high level". Why do we think being inefficient at lower levels will translate to being efficient at higher levels in the same role?

EDIT: I should say here Kuminga gets a lot more leeway than Bouknight since he was 18 playing against pros and not 20 playing against his peers.

You are high level because you because you can drive, pull up, or get to the ft line.  Not all players can say that.  

Just now, og magic fan said:

You are high level because you because you can drive, pull up, or get to the ft line.  Not all players can say that.  

That's your definition of being a high level shot creator?

A bunch (an actual huge amount) of players can do those things and aren't high level shot creators. Dwayne Bacon can do all those things (and did at FSU).

Allonzo Trier did all these things at a high level in college and he's basically out of the league.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

That's your definition of being a high level shot creator?

A bunch (an actual huge amount) of players can do those things and aren't high level shot creators. Dwayne Bacon can do all those things (and did at FSU).

Allonzo Trier did all these things at a high level in college and he's basically out of the league.

Stop!  I thought we were actually having an intelligent conversation.  If you are comparing Bacon and Trier as prospects and shot creators to Kuminga and Bouknight then obviously all intelligence has been thrown far out of the window.   

• Downvote 1

As a hypothetical, ESPN has listed five trades to secure the number one pick. For Orlando, they suggested 5, 8 and Chuma. I love Chuma but would do that in a heartbeat. However, I don’t think there is any way Detroit considers it.

20 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

Stop!  I thought we were actually having an intelligent conversation.  If you are comparing Bacon and Trier as prospects and shot creators to Kuminga and Bouknight then obviously all intelligence has been thrown far out of the window.   

Allonzo Trier his draft year had a 66% TS. He had a .500 3PAR while shooting 38% from 3. He had a FTR of .500. He scored 18 ppg. He had a positive A:TO. 

James Bouknight can't touch any of those numbers (except the PPG)

EDIT: to be clear Bouknight is a much better overall prospect than Trier was but he's not a noticeably better shot creator currently.

On 7/16/2021 at 2:10 AM, CTMagicUK said:

This is a risky gambit. Even if he's not a star there's a real solid chance he's like an Enes Kanter bench scoring big. 

I like him. I get the defense concerns but I think he's a top 10 pick. 18 year olds usually aren't this polished and dominant scorers against grown men.

Also 5 years isn't a long time... Most lottery picks make it to a second contract. Even Hezonja had 5 years.

good idea.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ok let's reset. If the Magic cannot get Cade,Green,Suggs or Mobley which picks are an overdraft but you feel would be great someday? I'm talking guys like Sengun or Duarte or even Jalen Johnson because they are projected later. 

What i mean is who are the players mocked to go higher then 8 that we can pair with whoever we take at 5. A lot of people in this draft are correct, we can't draft for fit, it has to be based on talent. We need players. So let's say we take whoever at 5 has the highest potential. Kuminga or whoever, the consensus highest upside player. 

Your job, pick a player who you think is real good regardless of position or fit, to draft at 8. My example is taking Sengun, others it's Giddey. Still for others it's a Tre Mann or  Duarte.

Seriously disregarding fit on our team or where they are supposed to go in the draft. 

Who you got at 8? Based strictly on your feelings or research not mocked draft position.

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

Ok let's reset. If the Magic cannot get Cade,Green,Suggs or Mobley which picks are an overdraft but you feel would be great someday? I'm talking guys like Sengun or Duarte or even Jalen Johnson because they are projected later. 

What i mean is who are the players mocked to go higher then 8 that we can pair with whoever we take at 5. A lot of people in this draft are correct, we can't draft for fit, it has to be based on talent. We need players. So let's say we take whoever at 5 has the highest potential. Kuminga or whoever, the consensus highest upside player. 

Your job, pick a player who you think is real good regardless of position or fit, to draft at 8. My example is taking Sengun, others it's Giddey. Still for others it's a Tre Mann or  Duarte.

Seriously disregarding fit on our team or where they are supposed to go in the draft. 

Who you got at 8? Based strictly on your feelings or research not mocked draft position.

Jaden Springer, I think he’ll end up becoming a great NBA player

• Upvote 1