CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

Listening to the Lowe Post with Givony/Schmitz here's some highlights.

Josh Giddey was apparently the best passer on the floor at an Australian National team practice that had a bunch of NBA players (Ingles, Mills, Dellavedova, Exum etc). And there's a sense that his absolute floor now is #10 to Memphis.

Mike Schmitz just said he thinks (just his own opinion) Memphis are trying to get up to 7 to draft Franz Wagner because there's a lot of buzz Sacramento wants Wagner at 9 (used the phrase 'soft promise').

Givony just said we've worked out Wagner.

More on Wagner from later on, they discuss his potential growth spurt and also that he's younger than a lot of freshman including Suggs and a few others.

Lots of talk about the Warriors trades. They want a star but non currently available. Discussion about them trading back and getting a vet role player for doing it. 

Nobody has any idea where Kuminga is going at this point. Schmitz makes the point later on that if you're 6'6+ and can guard and make a shot every now and again you get so many bites at the apple and there are a lot of bad wings currently in the league so Kuminga at 9 or 10 is mad to him. 

Sacramento might be looking to trade down and add guys to push for the playoffs or clear room to bring back Holmes. 

There's a rumour of Brogdon for Lonzo Ball in a sign and trade. 

Houston and Cleveland are apparently waiting on and expecting a mega offer from OKC. The rumour is the Thunder want Evan Mobley. Although apparently OKC have 'gone dark' and none of the other lottery teams are hearing from them.

Some GMs think Evan Mobley is the gem of this draft class. 

Scottie Barnes has been the name Schmitz has heard consistently at 5 for us. Mentions about maybe a team in the top 4 likes a guy at 5 more than the consensus top 4 and is willing to trade back and get 8 from us. 

22 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Listening to the Lowe Post with Givony/Schmitz here's some highlights.

Josh Giddey was apparently the best passer on the floor at an Australian National team practice that had a bunch of NBA players (Ingles, Mills, Dellavedova, Exum etc). And there's a sense that his absolute floor now is #10 to Memphis.

Mike Schmitz just said he thinks (just his own opinion) Memphis are trying to get up to 7 to draft Franz Wagner because there's a lot of buzz Sacramento wants Wagner at 9 (used the phrase 'soft promise').

Givony just said we've worked out Wagner.

More on Wagner from later on, they discuss his potential growth spurt and also that he's younger than a lot of freshman including Suggs and a few others.

Lots of talk about the Warriors trades. They want a star but non currently available. Discussion about them trading back and getting a vet role player for doing it. 

Nobody has any idea where Kuminga is going at this point. Schmitz makes the point later on that if you're 6'6+ and can guard and make a shot every now and again you get so many bites at the apple and there are a lot of bad wings currently in the league so Kuminga at 9 or 10 is mad to him. 

Sacramento might be looking to trade down and add guys to push for the playoffs or clear room to bring back Holmes. 

There's a rumour of Brogdon for Lonzo Ball in a sign and trade. 

Houston and Cleveland are apparently waiting on and expecting a mega offer from OKC. The rumour is the Thunder want Evan Mobley. Although apparently OKC have 'gone dark' and none of the other lottery teams are hearing from them.

Some GMs think Evan Mobley is the gem of this draft class. 

Scottie Barnes has been the name Schmitz has heard consistently at 5 for us. Mentions about maybe a team in the top 4 likes a guy at 5 more than the consensus top 4 and is willing to trade back and get 8 from us. 

I’d give up 5 and 8 for Mobley. If we stay put I’m thinking it’s:

5 - Suggs or Barnes

8 - Wagner (if available)

Like you said earlier, Wagner fits our typical player profile perfectly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I’d give up 5 and 8 for Mobley. If we stay put I’m thinking it’s:

5 - Suggs or Barnes

8 - Wagner (if available)

Like you said earlier, Wagner fits our typical player profile perfectly.

I also hope we bring back Mo Wagner so we can have both of them on the team. Kinda like a hype man ala Giannis and Thanassis. Seriously though I liked how Mo looked for us last year in the limited time he was here and if we can add on his brother in the draft with one of our picks that’s just icing on the cake. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 6:45 PM, ML6 said:

Subject to change, but my 3 nights away prediction is:

Barnes @ 5, Wagner @ 8, trade 33.

This is not what I would necessarily want but what I think the FO will do. Only certainty is trading 33 — that’s set in stone and has been for months. 

Bump.

This is what's happening folks. No need to check mocks. Yours truly broke the Wagner news before all this new info about him growing a couple more inches. Add that to the fact that now we know he had a non-publicized workout (a Weltman staple for the players he likes), and it's a lock.

Hopefully Barnes will be Suggs but I don't truly think Toronto will pass on him.

15 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2946238-brs-final-2021-nba-mock-draft-top-4-picks-coming-into-focus.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

New Wasserman mock:

#5 Jalen Suggs (!!!) 

#8 Moses Moody

#33 Josh Christopher

Huge W. Awesome draft if it happens. (Even if we pass on Sharife at 33 and don't take Giddey lol).

I'd take that all day long!!!

6 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Bump.

This is what's happening folks. No need to check mocks. Yours truly broke the Wagner news before all this new info about him growing a couple more inches. Add that to the fact that now we know he had a non-publicized workout (a Weltman staple for the players he likes), and it's a lock.

Hopefully Barnes will be Suggs but I don't truly think Toronto will pass on him.

Yea my official prediction is:

#5 Suggs

#8 Wagner

#33 Trade 

I think. 

23 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2946238-brs-final-2021-nba-mock-draft-top-4-picks-coming-into-focus.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

New Wasserman mock:

#5 Jalen Suggs (!!!) 

#8 Moses Moody

#33 Josh Christopher

Huge W. Awesome draft if it happens. (Even if we pass on Sharife at 33 and don't take Giddey lol).

I wonder if most of these guys are stretching to be different than the conventional top four. I just don’t see Suggs dropping to us, as much as I can hope. 

1 minute ago, TreyMachine said:

I wonder if most of these guys are stretching to be different than the conventional top four. I just don’t see Suggs dropping to us, as much as I can hope. 

That's probably the case but it makes me happy so I will allow it. Everyone mock Suggs to us please.

I haven’t followed these guys and am having a hard time keeping them straight.  How do Moody and Giddey compare?

11 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I haven’t followed these guys and am having a hard time keeping them straight.  How do Moody and Giddey compare?

Giddey is a 6'8 PG/Wing who's a skinny pass first guy with great vision. 

Moody is a 6'6 wing who's more of an off ball guy. Long, good shooter, good defender. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I can see a strong argument for this type of press push. I can also see us doing a draft night trade after drafting Scottie Barnes. 

im hopeful this OKC / Toronto trade goes through as it feels the focus for OKC is acquiring Scottie Barnes. 

In this article players are assigned tiers.....very interesting.

Jaden Springer - Top 5

Kai Jones - Top 8 -----> I really hope that the FO trades Mo and drafts Kai.

https://medium.com/sportsraid/2021-nba-draft-big-board-rankings-final-tiers-cade-mobley-jalen-suggs-green-springer-kuminga-barnes-802a31e4e043