The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Malik Buttface said:

Thank you. So tired of hearing how bad we are and how we haven't sniffed the playoffs in 8 years when in fact we fail in comparison to other teams in the past. 

I agree with this and get what the message you guys are conveying but conversely not everyone wants to align themselves with other failures around the nba. Same in any sport. I’m a Bucs fan. They’ve been terrible for years but did win a Super Bowl in 2002. Am I not allowed to be upset with their failures just because there’s 20 other teams that haven’t won a super bowl this century? 

I get both sides of it. Magic are in there worse drought ever so of course people are upset and rightfully so. But, you guys are right. When compared to other teams failures of the past 30 years we really have had it pretty good. I think the post Dwight era has been especially draining just because the rebuild entirely failed and however many years we are into it now we still have little to show for it. 

Again, i'm angry because the Magic have become irrelevant and not worth watching. I have seen most of the games and will continue to monitor them a bit, but i can see the writing on the wall. The 3 message boards i follow the Magic on are almost dead,Sbnation, Reddit and this one.I guess i'm just lashing out. When we just missed out on the 5th pick i knew we were screwed but seeing other teams make moves and not this team hurt more. 

I'll leave it at this, the biggest travesty to me is Vucevic and Fournier still on the team. I never saw them as anything more then assets to trade. Going all the way back to before they signed their current contracts, and including the contracts they have now. They are assets whose value rises and falls and will continue to fluctuate.

We can't let past mistakes dictate future trades, look at Houston and OKC. Some gm's never stop trying to improve a team no matter how many mistakes they made.

19 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I agree with this and get what the message you guys are conveying but conversely not everyone wants to align themselves with other failures around the nba. Same in any sport. I’m a Bucs fan. They’ve been terrible for years but did win a Super Bowl in 2002. Am I not allowed to be upset with their failures just because there’s 20 other teams that haven’t won a super bowl this century? 

I get both sides of it. Magic are in there worse drought ever so of course people are upset and rightfully so. But, you guys are right. When compared to other teams failures of the past 30 years we really have had it pretty good. I think the post Dwight era has been especially draining just because the rebuild entirely failed and however many years we are into it now we still have little to show for it. 

You're allowed to be upset. I think it'd be hyperbolic to be like "the bucs are just like the browns"

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Also I think it's important to point out we've only played two games since the Boston game where everything was amazing. 

My opinion of this team hasn’t changed. I don’t think I put it on here because I was taking a little hiatus but I thought we were a 32 win team at best. I still feel that way. But I’m fine with that because those were already my expectations. 

I heard/read some people saying 40-42 wins. I just never saw it. I think the only hope for that was AG taking a serious jump but that doesn’t seem like it’s gonna happen. 

I don’t think a team with the guard play we have is capable of winning 40 games unless there’s a legit all star on it. 

I still hope I’m wrong and we can get close to 38 wins but that just doesn’t seem realistic to me. 

27 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

My opinion of this team hasn’t changed. I don’t think I put it on here because I was taking a little hiatus but I thought we were a 32 win team at best. I still feel that way. But I’m fine with that because those were already my expectations. 

I heard/read some people saying 40-42 wins. I just never saw it. I think the only hope for that was AG taking a serious jump but that doesn’t seem like it’s gonna happen. 

I don’t think a team with the guard play we have is capable of winning 40 games unless there’s a legit all star on it. 

I still hope I’m wrong and we can get close to 38 wins but that just doesn’t seem realistic to me. 

I think most people said mid 30s. 

5 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Spoiled magic fans still don't really understand how unremarkable our slump is. 

Charlotte has made it out of the first round 4 times in 30 years, the last time 16 years ago. 

Denver has made it past the first round once since 1994. 

Golden State was on a stretch before Curry where they made the playoffs twice in 20 years. 

The clippers before Blake Griffin we're on a stretch where they made the playoffs 4 times, second round once, in 35 years. 

Milwaukee has made it out of the first round once in 30 years. 

Minnesota made it out of the first round once in 30 years and was on a stretch where they hadn't made the playoffs in 13 years until last season. 

New Orleans has made it out of the first round twice in 17 years. 

The Knicks have made it out of the first round once in 19 years. 

The Kings haven't made the playoffs in 13 years. 

Before their latest 3 year run, the raptors made it out of the first round once in 20 years. 

Washington hasn't made a conference finals since 1979. 

Our current streak of crappiness isn't special. It's routine. 

Hopefully 10 years from now we won’t be trying to make this same argument.  What especially hurts from my standpoint was how much of this was self-inflicted.  We chose to make the team terrible on purpose in the hopes of a quick fix by landing another Shaq in the draft.  The odds were always stacked against that.  And when it didn’t work, we wound up with no clear path back to relevance. 

Having said all that, I’m still hoping our defense will start to gel so that at least we’re competing most games and fun to watch.  Tonight would be a good time to start, so that losses don’t begin to snowball.  

13 hours ago, JJZFL said:

You think the Cavs will score 92 against us by halftime?

I honestly...would lose sleep if that actually happened. I'm dead serious.  

13 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

You're hoping JJZFL or ML6 can check you for TBI?

Extreme miss. Good thing LeBron's forearm and travels don't work in the west.  Real men, real teams, and real systems.  Even a makeshift San Antonio team won't be beaten by the likes of the Lakers.  Curry and Kevin Durant are the best players in the world right now per bbr.  Stephen Curry is leading in so many categories right now and is on his way to MVP.  

Good thing the Lakers are going to fall apart since LeBron James is cancer.  Luke Walton is about to be fired just like the fake coach, Tyron Lue, was fired.  I feel more bad for Luke since LeBron brought his cancer with him.  Now, the players are at risk and their rebuild.  Good thing I hate the Lakers with all my heart.  Our GM better be working the phones to get us Ingram or Lonzo or Kuzma for one of our 2k generics.  The faster we steal a gem from that cancer, the better.  

11 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

The Cavs panic in a win-now trade by giving us Young Bull for the fierce competitor Augustin?

Wishful thinking.

----------------------

My point:  I just didn't want the Cavs to beat us for their first win.  Knowing the Magic and their history, I fully expect a team to go win less and beat us.  The Magic are that predictable and spineless.  They are currently  beating Atlanta so maybe we'll be spared.