The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I’d be fine with being ok.  I believe a big part of the problem has been our home run mentality of trying to be as awful as possible so we can land a superstar in the draft and suddenly become great.  While that happens occasionally, the more reliable although more difficult way to rebuild is by taking it one step at a time and become better incrementally, rather than in one huge step.  I’m fine with walking before we run, and being “ok” would be a significant improvement compared to where we’ve been the past few years. 

All that being said, given the pattern of our December-January implosions the past few years, I understand why people are concerned.  This team, maybe because of its pattern of repeated losing, has demonstrated a fragileness that the other teams 4thewin lists above have not.  Once we start to lose a few close games, in the past we’ve disintegrated. People are aware of that history, so I think some concern is justified.  

Even if you got a superstar in the draft, you still gotta build incrementally. You just have something to build around. Our problem is we don’t have that. I mean what’s our core? After years and years, do we even have a core?

Walk, run, skip, jump, whatever. It feels like we’re on a treadmill. That’s my issue.

We’re 5-14 against teams over .500. I wouldn’t be upset about a playoff run, but I don’t see the benefit of getting in and getting embarrassed in a 4 game sweep by Toronto or Milwaukee.

3 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Even if you got a superstar in the draft, you still gotta build incrementally. You just have something to build around. Our problem is we don’t have that. I mean what’s our core? After years and years, do we even have a core?

Walk, run, skip, jump, whatever. It feels like we’re on a treadmill. That’s my issue.

I can't disagree with you.  I'd love to see us improve also.  But I also agree with ?4thewin that it can't be a panic move.  Otherwise you just wind up with another Ibaka situation where you do yourself more harm than good.

13 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I can't disagree with you.  I'd love to see us improve also.  But I also agree with ?4thewin that it can't be a panic move.  Otherwise you just wind up with another Ibaka situation where you do yourself more harm than good.

No it can’t be but we also can’t be overly passive, unless our goal is mainly revenue focused which I don’t feel that we are. We wouldn’t be firing and hiring coaching staffs if we were.

6 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Because of Hennigan (either because of panic mode or he could not judge talent correctly) we are back in the "walk" mode.  I like the potential of the core of B.I.G. as a start and to build around.  I do not think those around Gordon have helped his game much, if any.   Still in the incremental growth stage at this point before we even get to run, skip, and jump.  Since I do not see Vuc (Bamba will take over), Fournier, or Augustin being in our future plans as starters we are in the need for a 1 and a 2.  If we trade (Vuc, Ross, Simmon's or whoever) at the deadline (and please do not trade our #1 pick next year) I see us at between 6 and 9 for next year's draft where 2's are available.  Then  FA or a trade can get us our 1 (this year or next year).  Definitley need shooters and a 1 that can drive and dish back out for open shots.  Most superstars occur at the top of the draft where we have not been so maybe we get lucky or we buy one in FA.

2 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

Because of Hennigan (either because of panic mode or he could not judge talent correctly) we are back in the "walk" mode.  I like the potential of the core of B.I.G. as a start and to build around.  I do not think those around Gordon have helped his game much, if any.   Still in the incremental growth stage at this point before we even get to run, skip, and jump.  Since I do not see Vuc (Bamba will take over), Fournier, or Augustin being in our future plans as starters we are in the need for a 1 and a 2.  If we trade (Vuc, Ross, Simmon's or whoever) at the deadline (and please do not trade our #1 pick next year) I see us at between 6 and 9 for next year's draft where 2's are available.  Then  FA or a trade can get us our 1 (this year or next year).  Definitley need shooters and a 1 that can drive and dish back out for open shots.  Most superstars occur at the top of the draft where we have not been so maybe we get lucky or we buy one in FA.

If I’m a FA, I’m asking myself “Why turn down big money to play here?” It’s why I feel we need to acquire some talent by the deadline. In order to “buy” a FA, you gotta sell to them and I don’t think we have much to sell as of right now.

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

Additionally we don't know who becomes available closer to the trade deadline. Kemba? Lillard? Why waste assets going after D'Angelo Russell if those guys could be out there?

3 hours ago, ML6 said:

Net rating over the last 6 games

1. San Antonio: +20.6

2. Utah: +8.7

29. Cleveland: -10

30. Orlando: -14.9

------------------------------------------------------------

ORtg over the last 6 games

1. San Antonio: 121.1

2. Brooklyn: 118.8

29. Chicago: 96.9

30. Orlando: 91.7

That’s embarrassing 

36 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

That’s embarrassing 

Not a good trend.  Was hoping not to go to Tankathon too early this season.  That is definitely a lottery trend to me.  Good news is that if this continues to be the trend we are not very far from being 6th in the lottery.  And trading Vuc and Ross at the deadline (to get something in return)will only enhance our chances.

1 hour ago, Magicman28 said:

If I’m a FA, I’m asking myself “Why turn down big money to play here?” It’s why I feel we need to acquire some talent by the deadline. In order to “buy” a FA, you gotta sell to them and I don’t think we have much to sell as of right now.

That is a concern and why I agree we should be shopping at the deadline.  Need to find out about Ross and shop both him and Vuc (assuming playoffs not possible) if resigning them is improbable to get what we can.

Just to be clear, I am not panicking at all. I think we all agree it would be a mistake to resign VUC. So essentially by letting him be a focal all season long we are delaying Mo's development. We are going to have Bamba playing meaningful minutes next season and unfortunately unless he gets his lumps now it will be a 2nd mediocre rookie season.

3 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

I think this front office needs to MAKE something happen instead of waiting for something to fall into their laps. I’m not saying panic but at some point you gotta  get off your ass and start shooting a little higher.

This is exactly how I feel. It's Hammond's job to improve this team. I don't want to hear the excuses. Just make it happen! The question of "is there a deal out there that makes sense"  comes up a lot but there are countless examples of teams making trades for guys we had no idea were available. They happen and we all gripe that we werent the ones to do it. We need to be the team to do it. Simple.