magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

Kupchak said last Friday that Walker is "revered" in the Charlotte community, and that he and owner Michael Jordan look at the two-time All-Star as a fixture for the team going forward. Walker also addressed the team's offseason overhaul, which included parting ways with coach Steve Clifford and his staff and firing GM Rich Cho. The Hornets hired Kupchak as their new GM and, shortly thereafter, named San Antonio Spurs assistant coach James Borrego as their new coach. "I was here for a while with Cliff and the rest of his staff, especially guys like [former assistant] coach [Stephen] Silas. I was pretty upset when those guys got let go, but that's the nature of the business," Walker said. "You kind of have to understand the things that go on with our league and what happens in organizations. People have to make decisions and people have to make tough decisions as well. "Cliff's a great coach and he's helped change this organization tremendously. I know to let him go was a tough choice for Mitch. It was tough for me to see him and the rest of the staff go as well. But, you get over it and you've got to look ahead to the future."

https://www.nba.com/amp/league/article/2018/06/29/charlotte-hornets-kemba-walker-addresses-trade-talk-coaching-changes

My interpretation:

- Kemba loved Clifford and was close to him.
- Management isn’t willing to trade Kemba for scrubs as he is the “face of the franchise.”

Kemba to ORL is dead in my mind. Unfortunate. 

6 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

https://www.nba.com/amp/league/article/2018/06/29/charlotte-hornets-kemba-walker-addresses-trade-talk-coaching-changes

My interpretation:

- Management isn’t willing to trade Kemba for scrubs as he is the “face of the franchise.”

Fournier, Vuc's $12.5M expiring, and next year's pick isn't exactly scrubs. 

4 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

My interpretation:

I can recall this statement being floated last week, and after hearing it, I also didn't give it much thought, but then came to Batum attachment and it picked some additional steam. Getting rid of Batum frees Charlotte to enter the Kyrie Irving conversation next season. However, I am speculating here, because what else could MJ want in a PG if Kemba walked?

Just now, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Fournier, Vuc's $12.5M expiring, and next year's pick isn't exactly scrubs. 

I think they should be in full-on rebuild mode, and therefore cap space and pics are GREAT< but I don't think that MJ is willing to give up that easily on this team. We'll need more than that to draw Kemba - the face of the franchise - away from Charlotte. 

2 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I think they should be in full-on rebuild mode, and therefore cap space and pics are GREAT< but I don't think that MJ is willing to give up that easily on this team. We'll need more than that to draw Kemba - the face of the franchise - away from Charlotte. 

Well Sir, the point is that they can get something for Kemba this season, or nothing at all if he decides to walk next season.

Just a little forward thinking at play here.

7 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

"DeAndre Jordan turns sights toward Mavericks after opting out of Clippers deal"

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23948902/deandre-jordan-opts-la-clippers-deal-becomes-free-agent

Could this be why the Mavs were not interested in Mo Bamba and went so hard after Doniac? 

Doncic is why they weren't interested in Mo, lol. 

2 hours ago, Gordon MVP said:

I thought we already tried a PG that could pass and put up assists and has no offense or shooting? And now we have to deal with one with off the court issues, one who has someone in charge who's already expressed the need to be in a big market and now questionable knee health?

No no no no no. Just a plain bad decision. 

I'm still dumbfounded when I read about a lengthy point guard being a great fit just because of that. We need shooting and playmaking over anything else

23 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

"DeAndre Jordan turns sights toward Mavericks after opting out of Clippers deal"

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23948902/deandre-jordan-opts-la-clippers-deal-becomes-free-agent

Could this be why the Mavs were not interested in Mo Bamba and went so hard after Doniac? 

Mavericks would have drafted Bamba if the trade failed