magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

In building a future, there are really two options for PG to lead this team to be competitive for years to come: Fultz and Kemba. Fultz's price will likely be too high as PHI has not given up on his potential I don't believe. Kemba will be someone we sign next summer, thus we'll need a short-term PG for this season (Augustine). 

I would really only be satisfied if one of these two were our focus. All the other options in my mind are short-term patches to a long-term problem. 

Has anyone brought up the fact that Vuc may not see himself as a bench player?  I'm not sure how the offseason will go, and if Bamba is good enough to start right away over Nikola, but he may not dig that idea and want out anyhow.  The trick will be how he approaches the team if that is how he feels.  You don't want him to come out publicly  and voice his displeasure because that could drive his value down.  Just a thought.

7 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

EP has wasted two very good opportunities 

I can't equate being on the two statistically worst teams of the last 5 years to very good opportunities.  If you don't have talent on your team, you won't look like a good point guard.  Our team was terrible and it had  nothing little to do with him.  When he goes to a playoff team he will look much better.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

In building a future, there are really two options for PG to lead this team to be competitive for years to come: Fultz and Kemba. Fultz's price will likely be too high as PHI has not given up on his potential I don't believe. Kemba will be someone we sign next summer, thus we'll need a short-term PG for this season (Augustine). 

I would really only be satisfied if one of these two were our focus. All the other options in my mind are short-term patches to a long-term problem. 

I'm not convinced Kemba would come here unless we see an all star breakout for AG, significant improvement from Isaac, an impactful debut from Bamba, and any other solid production from anyone else. Even then he might prefer to go to a team that's a legitimate contender rather than one that might get there a few seasons down the line. He'll be 29 next year and I suspect if he turns down the Hornets pay day it will be for a chance to play on a contender.

I could be wrong. Maybe he wants to play on a Clifford coached team and views us as his best chance to lead a team to the play offs, but in all honesty unless we see significant improvement in 18-19 (Id say .500) I'm not sure we'll be major players in 2019.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

I can't equate being on the two statistically worst teams of the last 5 years to very good opportunities.  If you don't have talent on your team, you won't look like a good point guard.  Our team was terrible and it had nothing to do with him.  When he goes to a playoff team he will look much better.  

Disagree.

Good point guards still put up good numbers on bad teams. Let’s no do this dance with EP. He isn’t good. That’s really the extent of it. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

I can't equate being on the two statistically worst teams of the last 5 years to very good opportunities.  If you don't have talent on your team, you won't look like a good point guard.  Our team was terrible and it had nothing to do with him.  When he goes to a playoff team he will look much better.  

When healthy, the Magic were a good bit better than the Suns. And while I agree that Elfrid is used as a scapegoat by some, and being on bad teams can hurt your performance if you aren't a star player or something, absolving him of all fault is absurd. He certainly can be to blame for not improving and playing lazy.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, jec said:

When healthy, the Magic were a good bit better than the Suns. And while I agree that Elfrid is used as a scapegoat by some, and being on bad teams can hurt your performance if you aren't a star player or something, absolving him of all fault is absurd. He certainly can be to blame for not improving and playing lazy.

This the last thing I will say about elf. He did improve every year if u actually look at his stats. I wish him luck. Please everyone this has been beaten to death on this board and just let it go. Thanks

1 hour ago, jec said:

I should have replaced the word 'nothing' with 'little'.  I'm not absolving him of anything, he wasn't what we needed him to be.  He is a much better player than what showed here and PHX is a non starter as it relates to 'opportunity'.  If you think he didn't improve then I'm not sure what else can be said.  

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

Disagree.

Good point guards still put up good numbers on bad teams. Let’s no do this dance with EP. He isn’t good. That’s really the extent of it. 

Good point guards improve every year they are in the league, like he has.  That's the extent.  People here think pg's are plug and play, they aren't.  Our team doesn't deserve a homegrown pg with our collective lack of understanding.  Trades and FA, sure..