Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

We can't afford to bring in any more guys that we MIGHT be able to teach how to shoot. Mario, Payton and AG are all the projects we need. Unless we trade 2 of the 3 we need to draft guys that already are good at putting the ball in the basket.

Assuming the top 3 are fultz ball and Jackson. And we are not lucky and pick 5 or worse. This is my order for the next 4.

Isaac

Monk

Tatum

Smith

Fox

Monk

Tatum

Fox or Isaac

Smith

Isaac or Fox

That's what I'm thinking currently.

Is McCollum an okay comp for Monk or nah?

eh, I went back and reviewed his pre-draft analysis and most commented on McCollum's vision and how he could probably transition into a point guard role in the NBA.

I don't think Monk ever plays as a true point guard. And i'm not talking about pass first vs shoot first. He might play point guard like Oladipo played point guard or Brandon Knight plays point guard or like Keyon Dooling. In a sense he could play backup point guard especially if you have a wing that can facilitate to pair him with. But he's not going to be able to run an offense.

edit: a lot like Fournier or meeks. if we somehow ended up in a situation where all of our point guards got injured, we could probably play Fournier or meeks at point. they have the capability to take the ball from one end of the court and dribble it to the other side, go to a predetermined spot, and pass it to another guy in order to initiate a play. but they aren't good at creating for others.

eh, I went back and reviewed his pre-draft analysis and most commented on McCollum's vision and how he could probably transition into a point guard role in the NBA.

I don't think Monk ever plays as a true point guard. And i'm not talking about pass first vs shoot first. He might play point guard like Oladipo played point guard or Brandon Knight plays point guard or like Keyon Dooling. In a sense he could play backup point guard especially if you have a wing that can facilitate to pair him with. But he's not going to be able to run an offense.

edit: a lot like Fournier or meeks. if we somehow ended up in a situation where all of our point guards got injured, we could probably play Fournier or meeks at point. they have the capability to take the ball from one end of the court and dribble it to the other side, go to a predetermined spot, and pass it to another guy in order to initiate a play. but they aren't good at creating for others.

Yeah I was going to say the same. CJ has experienced playing PG. Monk doesn't. Not even in high school right?

We do have Mario too.

Monk

Tatum

Fox or Isaac

Smith

Isaac or Fox

That's what I'm thinking currently.

If tatum or Isaac are the choices I go with Isaac. Very similar shooting numbers and Isaac is taller and rebounds and blocks better and played 7 minutes less per game. He has more upside imo.

If tatum or Isaac are the choices I go with Isaac. Very similar shooting numbers and Isaac is taller and rebounds and blocks better and played 7 minutes less per game. He has more upside imo.

Maybe but I think Tatum is a better overall scorer. He rebounds fairly well and yeah his defense might not be that of a shot blocker but as a team defender he'll be fine.

His scoring ability is why I put him above Isaac.

That stretch he had was legit and he showed no signs of being afraid to take over. He's also a very versatile scorer. Crossovers, pull ups, hand pull ups, 3 point, gets to the line, post up or fronting his man, decent first step, etc.

Having said that, there is one player comparison in this upcoming draft that I subscribe to — Kentucky star point guard De’Aaron Fox and Orlando Magic starting point Elfrid Payton. Similar in size and body type, the two share the same strengths. They’re lanky and slithery, keen passers who can probe defenses and find ways to finish around the basket. Fox’s aggressive defense in college could translate to the NBA because of his length, instincts and work ethic. For Payton, it already has.

The 2014 NBA Draft, in which Payton was selected tenth overall, was similar to the 2017 draft in that it was considered at the time to be the best class in years. While Payton was selected in the late lottery, Fox projects somewhere in the 5 to 8 overall range despite their similar projections as players. This is potentially explainable by the difference in competition the two faced, as Fox played for national title contender Kentucky in the SEC and Payton played for a lesser program in Louisiana-Lafayette of the Sun Belt Conference. Although Payton stayed in school for three years to Fox’s one, both came out at similar ages, Payton at 20, Fox at 19.

The two players share a weakness as well — shooting. Fox shot 24.6 percent on 1.9 3-point attempts per game as a freshman, while Payton hit 26.8 percent of 1.1 attempts per game over his college career. Their free throw shooting, generally considered a good indicator of pure shooting ability, did vary, with Payton shooting about 13 percent worse than Fox on similar volume. Payton’s poor shooting has held in his transition from Louisiana to Florida, with a nearly identical percentage from the charity stripe and a negligible bump from behind the arc.

http://thesixersense...aron-fox-costs/

I am not saying you are wrong, but if you looked at Curry's freshman year he really didn't have many more assists than Monk. I think there is still a chance to turn him into a PG if that is what we really wanted. (not saying it would work for sure, just that it isn't absolutely destined for failure).

I admittedly don't watch much college basketball, but in preparation for the draft I went back and looked at all of the top guys highlight videos and I'm not sure why you guys are so high on Tatum, he looks kind of slow and stiff? What am I missing?

Also I know Fox and EP have similar games but Fox shot looks light years better than EP's.