masazasm2

Skiles resigns

Names I've actually heard from reporters ive heard of so far:

- Patrick Ewing

- James Borrego

- Frank Vogel

- Jeff Hornacek

- Adrian Griffin

I've not really been keeping up to date on Magic news, so I don't know if this was speculated at any point, but I was surprised to see this pop up on my timeline that Skiles had resigned as our head coach. On the one hand we made progress and it would have been nice to see where he could have taken us in year two, but on the other, there was some stylistic clashes with Skiles and with this young roster we need to make sure that our next head coach fits with how we want to play.

In terms of candidates for the job I have seen a number of names branded about, but I hope we make calls to Frank Vogel and Kevin McHale, either guy would be a good fit for us. Another candidate that some may scoff at is Mark Jackson, he did a good job helping develop the Warriors young players and get them on the right track. Granted he clashed with the Warriors front office, but development wise he could be a good choice. And I do like Jeff Hornacek, he did a very good job with the Suns in his first season in charge. I'm not sure what happened thereafter was his fault because they made trades and swapped and changed personnel, but he seems a good coach as well.

I don't feel we will have an issue attracting one of the top free agent coaches or top assistant coaching candidates because this is an attractive job. We have a talented young roster and cap space to help take this team to the next level. Hopefully this time we will hire the right guy for the job.

Good point about McHale.

Here is my List

David Blatt (his firing was uncalled for and has a system the Magic should try)

Frank Vogel

Kevin McHale

Mark Jackson (but would require Rob to give up the title Pres. of BBall Ops. but still be the GM)

Kevin Ollie

Jeff Van Gundy (yes the Magic might need another Van Gundy)

Lionel Hollins (great during the Memphis times)

James Borrego (give him a second try)

Jeff Hornacek

Consideration: Messina

Again, you all don't have to agree.

I didn't like the Skiles hire to begin with and despite the improvement in record, was not impressed with the job he did last year. His rotations are odd. I'm honestly glad he re-signed.

Good point about McHale.

Here is my List

David Blatt (his firing was uncalled for and has a system the Magic should try)

Frank Vogel

Kevin McHale

Mark Jackson (but would require Rob to give up the title Pres. of BBall Ops. but still be the GM)

Kevin Ollie

Jeff Van Gundy (yes the Magic might need another Van Gundy)

Lionel Hollins (great during the Memphis times)

James Borrego (give him a second try)

Jeff Hornacek

Again, you all don't have to agree.

Messina should be up there. No to Borrego, Jackson, and JVG isn't coming here although I'd be ok with it.

I didn't like the Skiles hire to begin with and despite the improvement in record, was not impressed with the job he did last year. His rotations are odd. I'm honestly glad he re-signed.

Likewise

@MagicInsider Magic CEO Alex Martins said he tried to talk Scott Skiles into staying this a.m.

Which led to him resigning soooo Alex did something right! <Two thumbs up>