Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Duncan retired. In pure Duncan fashion.

We're so lucky to have watched a top 5 player of all time in his career.

Even though he never played for us, I am still quite upset that Big Fundamental won't be playing in the NBA anymore.

Here are the teams that are realistically in the running for westbrook without making any moves:

New Orleans (gets to play with Anthony Davis, NOLA renounces Jrue and Tyreke)

Atlanta

Boston

OKC

Chicago

Here are the teams that are in the running if they make minor deals to trim cap space:

Orlando (Need to dump Vucevic)

Sacramento (gets to play with cousins, needs to dump Koufos)

Going to New Orleans seems pretty attractive and there's already a young superstar on the team. I'd enjoy watching them play.

Here are the teams that are realistically in the running for westbrook without making any moves:

Atlanta

Boston

OKC

Chicago

Here are the teams that are in the running if they make minor deals to trim cap space:

Hmmm...

I think we need to be better than Boston this next season to improve our chances at getting him.

Atlanta

Boston

OKC

Chicago

Seeing what the possibility is, and how close we may be, do you think we overspent this summer? I would hate to dump Vuc for cap, when knowing if the Magic were a little more diligent in their spending, we could've had kept the team as it while adding RW.

How much would the cap have to rise for us to have to dump another player with a lower salary instead of Vuc? I'd guess the next likely casualty would be Augustin? Maybe Payton, since he'd be getting replaced?

do your numbers also include renouncing Marble?

Seeing what the possibility is, and how close we may be, do you think we overspent this summer? I would hate to dump Vuc for cap, when knowing if the Magic were a little more diligent in their spending, we could've had kept the team as it while adding RW.

How much would the cap have to rise for us to have to dump another player with a lower salary instead of Vuc? I'd guess the next likely casualty would be Augustin? Maybe Payton, since he'd be getting replaced?

That is bot the only scenario. It is the easiest but not the only one.

We can trade DJ and let Ibaka walk. Keeping payton as a back up PG. we have to also consider that Payton and Gordon will be on their contract year. I just dont see us keeping both.

So you'd rather keep a flawed team intact in order for a chance to get a super all star who very likely won't sign for a non-contender?

In the event he does come and we lose Vuc over it, don't you think we have a much deeper team now that he'd actually be more interested to come?

Even though he never played for us, I am still quite upset that Big Fundamental won't be playing in the NBA anymore.

When you look up cornerstone in the dictionary you see Tim Duncan. .710 career winning percentage, think about that for a minute.

We can trade DJ and let Ibaka walk. Keeping payton as a back up PG. we have to also consider that Payton and Gordon will be on their contract year. I just dont see us keeping both.

why would you prefer vucevic over ibaka?

a 109.6 cap means a max contract is a shade under 31 million.

to offer a max contract, we'd need to be around 76 million we have $85,110,280 committed which includes ibaka cap hold, Fournier, biyombo, vucevic, Augustine, Gordon, payton, 1 million in Watson money. It's counting on us renouncing Jeff Green, meeks, Marble, and Zimmerman.

in this scenario we'd need to remove $9,110,280 in salary.

a 105.1 cap means a max contract of 29.7 million.

we'd have to be at around 73 million to offer a max contract

in this scenario we'd need to cut $12,110,280

a 102.9 cap means a max contract of 29.1 million

we'd have to be near 71 million to offer a max contract.

in this scenario we'd need to cut 14,110,280.

(in these scenario's I just eyeballed roster minimum cap holds which should be something like 2.4 million)

a 109.6 cap means a max contract is a shade under 31 million.

to offer a max contract, we'd need to be around 76 million we have $85,110,280 committed which includes ibaka cap hold, Fournier, biyombo, vucevic, Augustine, Gordon, payton, 1 million in Watson money. It's counting on us renouncing Jeff Green, meeks, Marble, and Zimmerman.

in this scenario we'd need to remove $9,110,280 in salary.

a 105.1 cap means a max contract of 29.7 million.

we'd have to be at around 73 million to offer a max contract

in this scenario we'd need to cut $12,110,280

a 102.9 cap means a max contract of 29.1 million

we'd have to be near 71 million to offer a max contract.

in this scenario we'd need to cut 14,110,280.

(in these scenario's I just eyeballed roster minimum cap holds which should be something like 2.4 million)

Perfect. Thank you.

I'm complete aware that is not the only scenario, but I want us to have a deep roster and looking for the least amount of moves to keep the strength of team in tact, while adding Westbrook to it. Why wouldn't we keep both Payton and Gordon? they are the futures of this team and if they both earn a max, we'll certainly be keeping both, at max; WHILE also keeping the other players on this team.