Sign in to follow this  
Ibn Battuta

Magic @ Pacers 11/9

.......Last was Frye missing a wide open 3 (it was some big mistake, can't remember exactly) which led to a 3, and getting stripped and fouling (Skiles kept him in too long) on consecutive plays which fueled the final push by the Pacers. .........

I agree about Frye being in too long, except that we had no Vucc and no Smith. That leaves us with only two centers, and it's tough to use Dedmon when we're behind and need points. Even tougher if Payton is at point; then we're playing almost 3 v 5 on offense.

So Skiles was missing important options tonight.

I'm just saying that's every defense in the nba. The spurs demolished the heat two seasons ago because they consistently made the correct pass to beat the heats defense.

Ball movement with great shooters is going to beat any defense enough times to win consistently. In most cases we've been able to help and recover so I don't think this is going to be a fatal flaw.

I'm sure that is what Skiles is counting on.

But, the good 3 point shooting teams will likely be stiff competition all year, unless the offense gets better.

We were terrible last year with rotating back to shooters, and we're getting better. We have to keep up with 3's especially without Vooch making up for it inside. We could have really used him in this game because Indiana has nobody to guard him.

Our 3 pt defense does seem weak. I don't know the numbers, but I'll assume they aren't great.

Small sample size? We also have to consider our opponents 3 pt offense, but again it will be a small sample size. Stats mean basically nothing at this point of the season. Even intro to stats would basically say that. We only have eye test right now.

This doesn't make sense to me. You don't know the numbers, but assume they aren't great. Then you are told the numbers and default to sample size and eye test.

We missed a lot of shots last night. A lot of easy ones. It happens. I think we could have won or had a very close battle if Nik was playing at C. He is the guy who makes all those high % shots, and that is what we needed last night. It's that simple. I don't think everyone needs to get super negative yet. We are going to be flirting with a winning record all season. Right now we are 3 games off that goal and are missing our best player.

This doesn't make sense to me. You don't know the numbers, but assume they aren't great. Then you are told the numbers and default to sample size and eye test.

We missed a lot of shots last night. A lot of easy ones. It happens. I think we could have won or had a very close battle if Nik was playing at C. He is the guy who makes all those high % shots, and that is what we needed last night. It's that simple. I don't think everyone needs to get super negative yet. We are going to be flirting with a winning record all season. Right now we are 3 games off that goal and are missing our best player.

Vooch would of had his way and we probably would of won. He is that important for us.

Pacers let alot of points in the paint aka where vooch is a monster..

I tend to agree, our defensive adjustments alone have made us a much better overall team this season. Nik being out was the primary reason we lost last night, imo. He is the foundation of our team attm, while Oladipo is the key to wins. We need more production from our frontcourt, Nik aside. Payton will come around, not worried about him.

Tobias really struggled last night. That hurt as well. I can't count how many shots he took that rimmed out. They were good looks too. Tobias gets the best looks on the team besides Nik right now.

Its just tough to get easy looks without nik in there. That is why Dedmon was hurting us and Frye played so much. Frye forced IND to cover him with a fast PF and put their C on Gordon. We didn't exploit that enough because Frye couldn't sustain his performance.

No free throw attempts for Vic. This is really starting to bug me.

What's the consensus here? Why doesn't Dipo get the calls? It looks obvious when he is fouled on television. Is there something fundamentally he is doing that make the refs not notice it for him?

What's the consensus here? Why doesn't Dipo get the calls? It looks obvious when he is fouled on television. Is there something fundamentally he is doing that make the refs not notice it for him?

I'm thinking it's a combination of, still young, not an all-star, doesn't play on a good team, doesn't play for a major market. In other words:

No-Respect.jpg

Dipo should've worked on getting stronger in the off season. When he goes up, he tries to maneuver around the defender acrobatically instead of just going strong. Dwade, Kobe, Lebron, Westbrook, all got stronger throughout their career. Even back in the days MJ, Tmac, Penny, knew they needed to get stronger so when they get to the basket they could go up strong and absorb contact. It makes it simplier for the refs plus it makes the defender 2nd guess.

I'm thinking it's a combination of, still young, not an all-star, doesn't play on a good team, doesn't play for a major market. In other words:

No-Respect.jpg

Some of that too. He might have to start trying to dunk everything.

Yeah he is out of control on his drives. He misses so many layups that the refs swallow the whistle.

There is an art to creating contact. Aaron Gordon is excellent at this.

The Magic also are not getting calls for whatever reason - mainly youth. So that factors in as well.