Fultz4thewin

The Official 2015-2016 Regular Season Thread

fivethirtyeight.com has updated their projection for us to finish the year 35-47, which means a record of 15-23 the rest of the way. That sounds a little optimistic after the last 10 games.

http://projects.five...2016-nba-picks/

That's because they use a probability model. They don't look at it as straight wins and losses. If we have a 40% chance to win a game it's not counted as a loss, it's .4 of a win. So, basically that record means on average we have a 39% chance to win any game in the future if you want to break this down to the basic level.

I definitely agree that blatantly biased officiating has cost us some games, but I also see that bias when I am watching games between other teams. Specific players and specific teams "get the benefit" of far too many calls, and these calls frequently do determine the outcome of the game rather than the players determining the outcome. To give one big example, Toronto needed to outscore us by 18 points at the free throw line in order to "win" the game by three points in overtime.

But I also look at situations within the games. There are games we lose because the other team got far too many second chance points, meaning we are not controlling the boards at our end.

There are games we lose because the other team got far too many fast break points, because we are not getting back in transition defense quickly enough.

I also see too many games that are so close at the end of the game, and we lose on blown plays and mental breakdowns on those plays. Recently, a breakaway dunk puts us up by 4, only to have a basket at the other end about 2 seconds later, followed by us turning over the ball for the tying score taking us to overtime and yet another loss. Yes, you can argue we could use some more veteran players to steady things down a bit.

I do have a lot of faith in this roster, and in the coaching staff. I believe we are capable of much better than we are seeing. Not very many teams have run us off the court, but many very good teams have needed lucky buzzer beaters, or overtime, or serious help from the refs, to get past us.

Refs are bad sure but JJ with the blatant flop is half the problem.

The Orlando Magic have a very promising young team, with an emphasis on young. With just an average age of 24.9 years old, the Magic have a competitive and energetic roster. The problem with being such a young team, and relying on such inexperienced players to carry a franchise who wants to win so badly, is an obvious lack of maturity.

Player maturity, in this specific case, is simply learning how to close out a late third and fourth quarter on any given night. The Magic average a measly 23.6 points in the fourth quarter, second worst in the league, only scoring .3 more points in the fourth quarter than the New York Knicks. Looking at the player stats, however, one cancertainly have a difficult time understanding why the Magic are only 20-24 approximately halfway through the season.

All of the Magic starters average atleast 11 points a game, with four bench players averaging over five points agame. It is no coincidence that last season’s Atlanta Hawks starters all had very similar stats, yet the Hawks finished in first place in the Eastern Conference, with an astounding 60-22 record. The difference, of course, is simply age and experience. Both Kyle Korver and Al Hortford are NBA veterans,and are able to give advice to young, rising stars (Dennis Schroeder for example.) The Magic don’t have anyone nearly as experienced and talented as the Atlanta team had, and C.J. Watson can barely count as a team leader.

It appears that Orlando’s solution is to try and acquire a slightly more seasoned player to help the team when they begin to fall apart in the fourth quarter. The young squad has shown a desire to compete this season already- winning games against competitive teams, the Houston Rockets for instance. Unfortunately, the lack of experience and maturity comes in games like the one against the Toronto Raptors. Despite 27 points for Oladipo, and 21 for Fournier, the Magic became flustered at the end of the fourth quarter, losing their cool and missing some shots that not only were makeable, but that they had been hitting throughout the whole game. There was no leader, no player with experience to help carry the burden of keeping a cool head with the game on the line.

http://isportsweb.co...turity-problem/

I definitely agree that blatantly biased officiating has cost us some games, but I also see that bias when I am watching games between other teams. Specific players and specific teams "get the benefit" of far too many calls, and these calls frequently do determine the outcome of the game rather than the players determining the outcome. To give one big example, Toronto needed to outscore us by 18 points at the free throw line in order to "win" the game by three points in overtime.

But I also look at situations within the games. There are games we lose because the other team got far too many second chance points, meaning we are not controlling the boards at our end.

There are games we lose because the other team got far too many fast break points, because we are not getting back in transition defense quickly enough.

I also see too many games that are so close at the end of the game, and we lose on blown plays and mental breakdowns on those plays. Recently, a breakaway dunk puts us up by 4, only to have a basket at the other end about 2 seconds later, followed by us turning over the ball for the tying score taking us to overtime and yet another loss. Yes, you can argue we could use some more veteran players to steady things down a bit.

I do have a lot of faith in this roster, and in the coaching staff. I believe we are capable of much better than we are seeing. Not very many teams have run us off the court, but many very good teams have needed lucky buzzer beaters, or overtime, or serious help from the refs, to get past us.

Yes, I believe in the core of this roster, as well. Henny won't panic like other GM's.

I'm glad this is becoming more apparent and Henny himself has also echoed these statements. Now lets get this mystery veteran leader in here ASAP!!

Unfortunately not so easy to do. Just putting a geezer or two out there won't help, we've already seen that with Frye. It will need to someone with decent talent, and skills that compliment what the Magic have now. That's not so easy to find.

Unfortunately not so easy to do. Just putting a geezer or two out there won't help, we've already seen that with Frye. It will need to someone with decent talent, and skills that compliment what the Magic have now. That's not so easy to find.

Knowing Skiles, it's going to be for a player who is about defense. He doesn't have to be an all star.