Sign in to follow this  
SiMON2g

What is your opinion on Aaron Gordon?

That's basically who he was last year. Injuries and age were a big issue.

He's only 2 months older than towns, three months older than Okafor, a month younger than Porzingis.

He's within 3 months older or younger than 50 of the 60 players drafted last week.

So really consider last season a red shirt year. That's why it's so difficult to judge what he'll become. Age.

Believe me, I would love to end up being wrong.

He is the best defender on the team. His athletasism and youth will get him in trouble at some points, but if he can stay healthy and focused on offense I can see him averaging a double double.

I would give my honest opinion of Aaron Gordon, but this forum would roast me for it.

I feel kind of the same way.

BUT

I do think AG can be a descent role player.I just don't see as a future All-Star. I wold love to be wrong though. Either way I see an MKG like development curve with him. He was a 3 yr project at minimum to me and we aren't even halfway to that number.

I think he's likely to be a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist type player. Someone that excels on the defensive end, but is nothing to shout about on the offensive end. Essentially a very steady complimentary player that won't let you down. But would be a fourth, maybe third, option on a team.

It's still early for him, but unless Skiles and co can develop and improve his all round game (especially offensively), he will probably level off at MKG's level if Skiles gives him enough minutes.

he has alot of potential

but currently has major flaws

until he develops some sort of touch and shot he will be limited until the magic learn to play a more up tempo game

This is fair

He's only 2 months older than towns, three months older than Okafor, a month younger than Porzingis.

He's within 3 months older or younger than 50 of the 60 players drafted last week.

So really consider last season a red shirt year. That's why it's so difficult to judge what he'll become. Age.

So yeah, this. We have no idea what Gordon is at this point, other than that he's pretty assured to be a beast defender. Basically, he's one-and-done rookie age this year with half a year's leg up on those other guys. I think that's how we should look at this year. It's not year one, but more like year 1.5; or even 1.25. Let's see what he does this year, then we can form a better opinion of what he might be.

I think he's likely to be a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist type player. Someone that excels on the defensive end, but is nothing to shout about on the offensive end. Essentially a very steady complimentary player that won't let you down. But would be a fourth, maybe third, option on a team.

It's still early for him, but unless Skiles and co can develop and improve his all round game (especially offensively), he will probably level off at MKG's level if Skiles gives him enough minutes.

I think is more gifted offensively than Kidd-Gilchrist

I believe Aaron is already a great on ball defender. He is also a good passer and dribbler. With constant time on the floor, I feel he will be an above average shooter from deep - as early as next year. I agree. he is a Desmond Green type player. I feel he can become better than green because he is much more physically gifted and very young. Aaron has an above average basket ball IQ and his biggest strength is his willingness to work on his craft. I have big hopes for him. He needs to pan out. We used the 4th pick on him.

Now, I will give you the bad. Some minds may not agree, but these are my thoughts and observations.

I do not believe Aaron Gordon had a successful rookie year. People should be shot calling him Blake Griffin. He will never be Blake. He is not a scorer and has never been one. He is below average on boxing out people and help defense. A lot of this was do to a poor system and poor coaching, but until I see better I have to mark him low. I need to see more rebounding. Defensively, most of Aaron's blocks came from close outs verses his own man or fast break chase downs, he does not meet people at the rim, take charges, or challenge people going to the rim. If not corrected, this can be a big issue because we need him to be a stud on defense, at pf, and as a rebounder. If he is not going to score much, he needs to be above average or great in the other areas. I feel his aarons best position is at PF first and sf when needed. he will do best in a small ball line up that is up past. This is Skiles strength as well so he fits the new system.

Overall, I like aaron. I want him to get a lot of mins. I feel game time is the way to develop our players, so I feel he should start. I really don't want us to pick up a min hungry vet for this reason. We need to see what we have next year. He needs to work out because we invested a super high pick on him. I have always thought his ceiling was shawn marion. To be close to shawn marion, he needs to rebound way more. he needs to get a lot more blocks. And, he has to play bigger like Desmond Green. I have already seen leaps and bounds on his spot up shot. He went from 45% on the line to over 70%. He is shooting with more conference. I think Scott Skiles will help develop aaron a lot, because he help develop shawn marion on the suns. Let us play Gordon major mins next year and see what we have in the 4th pick. He has the IQ and the talent to be a heart and soul type player. I can wait until next year.

Put it together Aaron, we need you. Harkless should never see the floor.

I think that within a year, maybe two, he'll have been traded and we'll be happy he's no longer our problem. It's hard for me to view him as anything more than an energy player with okay defense from time to time.

You're a pretty pessimistic guy

I think that within a year, maybe two, he'll have been traded and we'll be happy he's no longer our problem. It's hard for me to view him as anything more than an energy player with okay defense from time to time.

He was a problem? Hard for you to view a 19 year old top 10 pick of the NBA draft anything more than an energy guy? Boy, I'd hate to have you be the coach of my basketball team! People like JJ Redick and Darrell Armstrong would never have the chance to develop! Wow!