Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

It was posted yesterday but I will believe it when I see it plus I never heard of Peter

Peter V. is a New York area Journalist who was primarily a newspaper beat/sports writer......been around a long time good credibility.

This was not easy for me to say, because I did not care much for the guy, but he has never been known as a liar! To my knowledge.

Peter V. is a New York area Journalist who was primarily a newspaper beat/sports writer......been around a long time good credibility.

This was not easy for me to say, because I did not care much for the guy, but he has never been known as a liar! To my knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB_vcYPsXbY

I tried to find the link where Skiles gets up in Shaq's grill, but this will have to do. This guy knows a thing or two about ball movement. I'll gladly take his coaching for a couple/few years.

It's pretty funny the turnover this board has sometimes. At first it was PANIC I can't believe we would hire Skiles and now it's guys relax Skiles will turn this team around.

You can go back to when we first fired Vaughn and I said then I liked Skiles. And He will turn this team around. He's turned every team around he's been with. Teams with less talent and potential than ours.

I really think Skiles is perfect for this team. Thibs would have been too but Skiles is going to be really good for us. And like Cat said Payton will be an all star under him.

You can go back to when we first fired Vaughn and I said then I liked Skiles. And He will turn this team around. He's turned every team around he's been with. Teams with less talent and potential than ours.

I really think Skiles is perfect for this team. Thibs would have been too but Skiles is going to be really good for us. And like Cat said Payton will be an all star under him.

I think Payton will be an all-star PG regardless. If we hire Skiles I'd be shocked if Payton isn't an all-star next season.

Let's take a look at the last 5 coaches to have won an NBA championship not named Popovich, Jackson, or Riley:

1. Eric Spoelstra

Playoff berths before first championship: 08-09 (lost in first round), 09-10 (lost in first round), 10-11 (lost in finals [with Lebron])

Spoelstra made the playoffs his first year after, the year after the Heat had an injury plagued season to both Wade and Mourning and the team featured a cast consisting of Ricky Davis and Penny Hardaway. This allowed them the #2 pick with which they acquired Michael Beasley and a healthy core. Spoelstra didn't acquire a team that hadn't yet learned how to be competitive, but just had a really bad year the previous year due to injuries.

2. Rick Carlisle

Seven playoff berths in eight seaons in Detroit, Indiana, and Dallas.

3. Doc Rivers

Coached eight season before winning the championship and only made it the playoffs four times (losing in the first round every single time).

5. Larry Brown

Coached 25 years (going back to the ABA) before finally winning it all, making the playoffs 19 times. Reached the playoffs two times in four years after his championship. I guess by year 25 most people thought Larry Brown was only good enough to get teams into the playoffs but would never win a championship, yet today he's known as one of the best coaches of all time.

5. Rudy Tomjanovich

Reached the playoffs his second season and won two championships with Hakeem Olajuwon, Robert Horry, Clyde Drexler, and Kenny Smith during Michael Jordan's two year absence. Coached eight more seasons after that only reaching the playoffs four times.

So...when it comes to coaches with championship pedigree, you have to go all the way back 19 years to reach Tomjanovich. Looks like the only surefire championship coaches in the last 20 years are Popovich, Riley, and Jackson.

So, as you can see, it kinda irks me when people talk of Thibs as if he's the savior of the NBA masses. He's had a very good team (even without Rose) for many years, but the negatives on him are just as alarming as anyone else.

I mean, really the only common denominator among championship coaches is "coached one (or more) of the generations best players".

• Upvote 1

I mean, really the only common denominator among championship coaches is "coached one (or more) of the generations best players".

Which of the Detroit Pistons team that won a championship under Larry Brown would you consider "one of the generation's best players?"

And barring one of those, it's mostly a futile effort. It is by no coincidence that Lebron will be making his fifth straight finals appearance, and the team he will be playing against has the one player who was better than him this season in the midst of an all-time great year

Which of the Detroit Pistons team that won a championship under Larry Brown would you consider "one of the generation's best players?"

Everyone knows how special that Detroit Pistons squad was. They are an anomaly.

Everyone knows how special that Detroit Pistons squad was. They are an anomaly.

An extreme anomaly, the mid season trade of Rasheed pushed them over the hump.

Well, if you regard Jason Kidd one of the generation best, along with Penny Hardaway, then all Skiles now needs is a title!

I like the idea of NAILS coaching and bringing heat on what could be viewed as a group of high character guys but soft! Both mentally and physically at times...soft!

We played that way, because we were/are young and were lead by Mr. Robinson/Vaughn and wasted a ton of time doing so. Now if Skiles takes over.......soft is history!!!

B.S. Agrees! Link: http://www.orlandose...526-column.html silver_cup.gif

I think Payton will be an all-star PG regardless. If we hire Skiles I'd be shocked if Payton isn't an all-star next season.

Next season!? That's bold. He would have to make a huge jump.

Wall and Irving are a lock. Teague and Lowry I suppose one could be beat out.