Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

Seems like a bad idea to keep Borrego on if he's not the head coach to me. Could be weird with the players potentially listening to him more than the new coach and stuff.

Seems like a bad idea to keep Borrego on if he's not the head coach to me. Could be weird with the players potentially listening to him more than the new coach and stuff.

That's why it almost never happens and coaches bring in their own staffs.

I think it could work. Borrego was always an interim head coach, and he didn't significantly improve the team (though they did improve a bit). The team knows that, and I think they would appreciate him still being there. Borrego is a good fit to be a smoother if Skiles gets under guys' skins, so long as he understands his role and backs Skiles up. Why? Because Borrego actually has some similar makeup to him, in that both are guys who like to focus on Defense and accountability, but Borrego is in a position as an assistant to elaborate when Skiles barks at someone for a mistake. It reminds me of when I was just starting out working, years ago, when I was an assistent manager at a Blockbuster Video. My boss was a hardass who tended to bark at people and throw fits when they made mistakes. But I was there to remind our guys that he was really just looking out for them, because he wanted them to succeed as much because he cared about them as because he wanted the store to do well. We both were open to teaching and helping people get better, and we both were big on personal responsibility. It worked out really well, as we were consistently the number one store in our district and we had the least amount of turnover because all our employees were well-coached and responsible.

• Upvote 1

Borrego is going to be a very good coach someday and understands he still has a lot to learn.

No one will debate Skiles knowledge of the game which Borrego could learn a great deal from...Skiles problem has always been he tends to wear his players thin after a few years of his heavy handed coaching style.

Borrego could be a very good back up plan for when that happens here.

I was a bit skeptical about skiles. I knew he was very good with Xs and Os. I thought he was someone that players did not like, but I saw it was both good and bad. Players dont like some of his rules but not his attitude. (No headband type stuff.)

What changed my mind that he will be a good coach was seeing the teams he had. His best team was the suns with kid, matrix, cliff Robertson, penny. and rex Chapman.

The funny thing to me is that we have the begins of simulator talent:

Kidd - Payton

Penny (1 leg hardway) - Victor (combo guard)

Rex Chapman - (Mario?)

Matrix - Gordon

Dudley - Dedmon

Cliff Robertson - vuch (wash)

He had a lot of teams with little talent and got them to play good. He had a bucks team projected worse to make the playoffs.

He was the one that had chris duhon playing like a good player.... lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Skiles

O my God... He went 49 and 33 with this team... Say what?

35 Malik Allen PF 6-10 255

11 Andre Barrett PG 5-10 172

42 P.J. Brown PF 6-11 225

9 Luol Deng SF 6-9 220

21 Chris Duhon PG 6-1 185

7 Ben Gordon SG 6-3 200

44 Adrian Griffin SF 6-5 217

12 Kirk Hinrich PG 6-3 190

38 Viktor Khryapa PF 6-9 210

5 Andres Nocioni PF 6-7 225

2 Thabo Sefolosha SG 6-5 215

50 Mike Sweetney C 6-8 275

24 Tyrus Thomas PF 6-9 215

(I dont need to tell you that there is not much talent. We have better talent now with no 5 round pick and cap space.)

I'm on board.

This is in some ways what I have been trying to say, though I was to lazy to research it like you did LOL. Skiles put teams in the playoffs and had success at every stop he was at, even with limited talent. This guy hasn't sniffed a team remotely as talented as Thibs and Brooks have. Not saying he is better than either of those guys, just stating a fact.

I was a bit skeptical about skiles. I knew he was very good with Xs and Os. I thought he was someone that players did not like, but I saw it was both good and bad. Players dont like some of his rules but not his attitude. (No headband type stuff.)

What changed my mind that he will be a good coach was seeing the teams he had. His best team was the suns with kid, matrix, cliff Robertson, penny. and rex Chapman.

The funny thing to me is that we have the begins of simulator talent:

Kidd - Payton

Penny (1 leg hardway) - Victor (combo guard)

Rex Chapman - (Mario?)

Matrix - Gordon

Dudley - Dedmon

Cliff Robertson - vuch (wash)

He had a lot of teams with little talent and got them to play good. He had a bucks team projected worse to make the playoffs.

He was the one that had chris duhon playing like a good player.... lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Skiles

O my God... He went 49 and 33 with this team... Say what?

35 Malik Allen PF 6-10 255

11 Andre Barrett PG 5-10 172

42 P.J. Brown PF 6-11 225

9 Luol Deng SF 6-9 220

21 Chris Duhon PG 6-1 185

7 Ben Gordon SG 6-3 200

44 Adrian Griffin SF 6-5 217

12 Kirk Hinrich PG 6-3 190

38 Viktor Khryapa PF 6-9 210

5 Andres Nocioni PF 6-7 225

2 Thabo Sefolosha SG 6-5 215

50 Mike Sweetney C 6-8 275

24 Tyrus Thomas PF 6-9 215

(I dont need to tell you that there is not much talent. We have better talent now with no 5 round pick and cap space.)

I'm on board.

Ben Wallace isn't on that list but he was on that team.

I think this quote has been out for a few days, but I read it via Mike Bianchi's article today in the Sentinel:

"I love him (Skiles)," Jeff Van Gundy said on our Open Mike radio show recently. "Scott Skiles to me is one of the most underrated coaches in the NBA. People always talk about how he wears his teams out, but I've never believed that. Great players embrace coaching. When Scott was in Phoenix, he turned them around quickly. When he was in Chicago, he took over a team that had been down for a long, long period of time and he turned it and he turned it quickly.

"I think he's a terrific teacher and I think his teams play, the way he played -- tough and smart and with a sense of tenacity that really embodies who he is. If Scott wants to get back into coaching, he should be a guy that every team considers."

Not bad praise.

Ben Wallace isn't on that list but he was on that team.

When I was trimming info it must have came off

I'm kinda excited about Skiles' potential with this team. Part of me sees the X's & O's, the fire, and the impact he'll have on Elf, Vic, Vuc, & AG, but the other part wonders why has this guy been fired 3 times already?!?! Outside looking in, there's always something we're not seeing.

I hope with his past relationship with the team, and the owners, Alex, & Lloyd, that Skiles will be more open and willing. Time will tell (if he's even hired).

I'm kinda excited about Skiles' potential with this team. Part of me sees the X's & O's, the fire, and the impact he'll have on Elf, Vic, Vuc, & AG, but the other part wonders why has this guy been fired 3 times already?!?! Outside looking in, there's always something we're not seeing.

I hope with his past relationship with the team, and the owners, Alex, & Lloyd, that Skiles will be more open and willing. Time will tell (if he's even hired).

I don't have the stats, but I'd guess NBA head coach has the most turnover of any professional sport(you basically have to win a title in 4-5 years at most or you're gone except in special circumstances like with Jerry Sloan). People saying Skiles has been fired about 5 years in multiple means nothing to me; he's been more successful than most head coaches. I'd rather have Thibs, but I'll gladly take Skiles.

I don't have the stats, but I'd guess NBA head coach has the most turnover of any professional sport(you basically have to win a title in 4-5 years at most or you're gone except in special circumstances like with Jerry Sloan). People saying Skiles has been fired about 5 years in multiple means nothing to me; he's been more successful than most head coaches. I'd rather have Thibs, but I'll gladly take Skiles.

yeah, the old cliche: "coaches are hired to be fired." As long as we don't trade our best player and force Skiles to deal with it, we should be good and surprise a lot of people.

What players, currently under contract, could Skiles help/hurt the most?

If he's not traded this summer, I think this may help Moe A LOT. He's always struck me as someone who needed hard coaching instead of easy, happy-go-lucky, player-friendly coach. If we lose Harris, I think Moe can step up to replace what we need at SF for now. Also feel Elf will benefit the most. I also think Fournier will do well with Skiles; only because I think back to Carlos Delfino (similar player) and i think he has his best years under Skiles in MIL, if not for injuries. Dedmon may benefit a lot too. Could we see BG return to form with Skiles?

What players, currently under contract, could Skiles help/hurt the most?

If he's not traded this summer, I think this may help Moe A LOT. He's always struck me as someone who needed hard coaching instead of easy, happy-go-lucky, player-friendly coach. If we lose Harris, I think Moe can step up to replace what we need at SF for now. Also feel Elf will benefit the most. I also think Fournier will do well with Skiles; only because I think back to Carlos Delfino (similar player) and i think he has his best years under Skiles in MIL, if not for injuries. Dedmon may benefit a lot too. Could we see BG return to form with Skiles?

Now this is something worth talking about. Who will Skiles help most (if he is indeed hired)? I think there's a chance Moe is positively influenced, but it really depends on Moe's focus. Skiles is a tough guy by all reports. Moe needs that, but Moe is also very raw and clearly pretty emotionally sensitive. All the reports I've read say that Skiles is very patient and willing to teach, when he knows you need the coaching. When he blows up at people is when he has to tell them the same thing over and over again. With Skiles, you just don't continue making the same mistakes, or you will not play, and you will get yelled at when you do. If Moe is mentally focused, and learns to have some thick skin, Skiles will like his defensive talent.

You may be right about Fournier. To me, Fournier is one of the most intriguing stories for Orlando this year. He could develop into a very good player this year (like 6th man award candidate good) if he's healthy and keeps improving, especially with this team's need for shooting.

I think we all know that Elf and Vic and AG will be much improved under Skiles, with their main issues being two things he's apparently good at (teaching and consistency). The guy I hope will improve the most is Vucevic. If Skiles can get Vuc to play better interior D (He'll always be slow, but playing smarter and with more energy on D would go a long way with Vuc), that is a HUGE plus for this team.